996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Thunderhill 8/3, 8/4 and 8/5

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 02:24 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update: I will only be at Thunderhill Saturday and first part of Sunday morning. I have to leave as I am flying to Seattle Sunday afternoon from Oakland (business trip)

So I will do my best to meet those of you that will be there.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 996FLT6
And me on saturday. PJorgen if I can suggest maybe it's my 1st time with HOD but I can live with certain passing zones but the mandatory point by's can be a dangerous situation. I run with NASA 95% of the time and safety should be managed by the passer. I'm not condoning dive bombing but straightaways and people keeping their line it's a no brainer. I had no issues with advanced class with HOD on sat but I witnessed this Nascar type car at mixed and he was literally running 20-30 mph as soon as a corner comes-that'
s a dangerous situation(Thill at T-1-wish I had a a video of that when he made a turn and everyone else piling up behind him. Regards. Mike
Mike - Not quite sure what you mean. In A, B and C groups, point bys are only required between T6 and T8, just to ensure that the car being passed doesn't apex T7 and squeeze the passing car off track. Point bys are requested on the front and back straights, but not required. D group is for race prepped cars only with open passing and point bys required. Remember this is not racing. If someone is holding up traffic, you can always run through the hot pit to put some space between you and the slower car.

These are not my rules, so I'm not defending them, only making them clear. If you observe something you think is unsafe, you should bring it to the attention of the group leader or one of the stewards. The organizers want it to be a safe and fun event for everyone.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:00 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Originally Posted by PJorgen
Mike - Not quite sure what you mean. In A, B and C groups, point bys are only required between T6 and T8, just to ensure that the car being passed doesn't apex T7 and squeeze the passing car off track. Point bys are requested on the front and back straights, but not required. D group is for race prepped cars only with open passing and point bys required. Remember this is not racing. If someone is holding up traffic, you can always run through the hot pit to put some space between you and the slower car.

These are not my rules, so I'm not defending them, only making them clear. If you observe something you think is unsafe, you should bring it to the attention of the group leader or one of the stewards. The organizers want it to be a safe and fun event for everyone.
i have ran with HOD several times. i like point by's b/c unless i know you well, i do not want to risk passing you and then having you turn into me for some strange reason..... i can wait.

however, that said, in the advanced group, some drivers are really slow, i am not talking about slow cars, but slow drivers. i have no prob with that per se, but after a lap or two, you should know which cars/drivers are fast and when you see them coming 2 turns behind you, get ready and as soon as they are near you, stick your hand out and get them by. when i have to wait for 6-7 turns before i see a point by.... the car in front is not watching the mirror.

when i see cars that lap 3-4 seconds faster than i do, i start to prepare and get out of their way when they are 3-4 turns behind me.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

finally got the damn car ready. oil changed, tranny oil done, rotors installed and bedded, gassed up, new tires on (forgot to shave them ugh.....)....

leaving tomorrow 6am. see you all out there.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:34 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
i have ran with HOD several times. i like point by's b/c unless i know you well, i do not want to risk passing you and then having you turn into me for some strange reason..... i can wait.

however, that said, in the advanced group, some drivers are really slow, i am not talking about slow cars, but slow drivers. i have no prob with that per se, but after a lap or two, you should know which cars/drivers are fast and when you see them coming 2 turns behind you, get ready and as soon as they are near you, stick your hand out and get them by. when i have to wait for 6-7 turns before i see a point by.... the car in front is not watching the mirror.

when i see cars that lap 3-4 seconds faster than i do, i start to prepare and get out of their way when they are 3-4 turns behind me.
Totally agree with everything you wrote - you're the kind of driver that will always be welcome at HoD events. As I wrote previously, if you have a problem with another driver, bring it to the attention of the group leader or steward.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM
mjb
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will also be there Sat. and Sun. also. Hopefully, will bump into some of you and get a chance to meet and hang out. Should be a fun weekend and according to the wearther report the temps should be reasonable - around 90deg; can't beat that in Aug. out there.

Quick Reply: Thunderhill 8/3, 8/4 and 8/5