FVD comes out with software upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:47 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FVD comes out with software upgrade

Got this via email a couple days ago...looks interesting as it can be done without sending the ECU - and it can be reversed back to stock by yourself. Also interesting they say that "custom" make your program upgrade by you telling them the enhancements you've got on your car (ie intake, exhaust etc)

Another option to GIAC , Unichip, etc.....

http://shop.fvd.de/?VID=94604&VCD=66...Body=&CarYear=
Old 07-27-2007, 05:28 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting and seasonable development; just the price of $1.295k is pretty steep. If there's a GIAC dealer close, why hassle with the self install and the price difference? I'm not sure if the "customizing" is more than a marketing gag. Sure is sounds logic that exhaust, CAI or headers change the set-up of the car but will a customized re-flash really perform better than an uncustomized one?

What is (any) software doing anyhow (quote from FVD)?
- Increasing throttle response
- Modifying Ignition Timing
- Optimising Air and fuel ratios
- Removal of top speed limiter
- Increasing rev limiter

For what of above makes customizing a difference? And how would a tuner program "throttle response" different when you have a CAI?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:41 PM
vwrado
Instructor

Can you buy the FVD software once then upload to multiple cars?
Old 07-27-2007, 07:57 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

It doesn't sound like it....its the same process as GIAC where they give you a unique file to upload to your ECU. Doubt it can be used on multiple cars. As far as the "hassle" of loading it yourself, I would rather have that freedom in case something happens to the car and you want to bring it back to stock prior to the trip to the dealer (if its under warrantee) - just personal preference I guess!!!
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a good argument with the independency of the upload and reset to factory in terms of warrenty but can't the dealer dedect that the car had a different software on it? Isn't the out reving for example something that can be dedected; I wonder how this works when the redline was increased for a certain time.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:06 AM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good questions....I'm going on past experience with BMW Conforti software where you could do essentially the same thing - dealer could never tell that I was shifting the software back and forth on dealer visits. I assume this is doing something similar, but I guess I don't want to find out for sure either!!! ha!
Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A local friend of mine is running this on his Boxster with a 996 engine. I thought it was pretty cool. But not from FVD but the same thing. He can just talk to the tuner on the phone and they send him new file. Last time I talked to him he was running an adjusted 996 3.4 X51 code. (3.4 with x51 were only available in europe and later in the states for the 3.6 and now the 3.8)

FWIW: I don't think that changing the SW code for your ECU tampers with the memory for codes/faults.

Quick Reply: FVD comes out with software upgrade