Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Clutch helper spring: Updated status?
Spring's out, and I'm loving it!
23.08%
Spring's back in, love the easy pedal!
15.38%
Never took it out, why bother?
61.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Clutch helper spring - IN, or OUT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:37 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Clutch helper spring - IN, or OUT?

I took my spring out, along with many of you. I've since put it back, thinking I would enjoy the ease of use, even with the limitations of feel, etc.
But, I really don't love the creaky spring and numb pedal feel. Thinking of taking the spring out again, but worry about getting stuck in any kind of traffic with a heavy clutch pedal.

Just curious, where does everyone stand at this point? In, out, or never cared either way?

Last edited by AndyK; 07-26-2007 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:00 PM
RamVA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need a: "Spring's out, but I have mixed feelings about it" option. I love it on track, but I'm not crazy about it around town.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:50 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I should have a mixed feelings choice - but I don't know how to edit a poll?
Old 07-27-2007, 02:11 AM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Or add an "if it aint broke dont fix it" poll
Old 07-27-2007, 08:58 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Was out. Back in. I didn't like the free play at the top. Or the heavy pedal in traffic. Also like having cruise control work without re-engineering everything under the dash to bring it back. I oiled mine in spite of what Porsche says. No creak. I suspect Porsche's reason for the "no oil" demand was to avoid drips on the driver's side carpet. With light application of oil or grease, it won't happen. Porsche, believe it or not, does some things for very strange reasons at times, although inarguably for the best of Porsche. Must qualify that with the spring, I never had the problems I've read about regarding finding the clutch engagement point. I never had any issues with the spring at all. Just took it out because people said it was better so I had to see if it was (for me).
Old 07-27-2007, 09:27 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You wimps that complain about a hard pedal.....good thing you are growing up today and not when the clutch was a cable system. You would have to get someone else to drive for you or drive an automatic.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:33 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I took mine out, I thought the pedal felt more like the way it should for a serious sports car! Firm, but accurate and smooth. With the spring, it has an un-natural feel, just like my '97 328i that I sold after 3 months because I hated the clutch pedal squeaking!

I may take mine out again, to see if it makes sense to have a racing clutch pedal feel in the street.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

The clutch feel was my most significant complaint about the 996 and made it a pain to drive in heavy traffic. Removing it made the car like it should be, positive and having some "feel" to it. I don't find it difficult in the least, and now I don't even think about the clutch at all...the way it should be. If I buy another Porsche, the will be the first thing I do to improve the driving experience.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:38 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

hmmm -poll closed. I woulda voted for springs in , why bother. I really don't think about my clutch at all the way it is.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:51 AM
wdonovan
Instructor

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
You wimps that complain about a hard pedal.....good thing you are growing up today and not when the clutch was a cable system. You would have to get someone else to drive for you or drive an automatic.
Hmmm. Six Corvettes, all with tighter clutches than the Porsche, half with very stiff aftermarket clutches I installed myself. Don't think that qualifies me as a wimp. Fact is, if there was a clutch available for the Porsche that was worth pushing on (or worth buying) , I'd put it in. These things have zero torque down low and for any kind of decent launch, you need RPMs and a clutch.

Quick Reply: Clutch helper spring - IN, or OUT?