Sponsored by:

RoW drop and Aero

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2007, 09:11 AM
rcronin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RoW drop and Aero

So after months of working this around in my head I have gotten nothing to show for my time.
The problem is that I like the full drop that the RoW suspension kit has. Looks great and would drive as expected.
I also like the Aero kit for the C2 that also lowers the lines of the car.
But can they both be done???
Sure they can be done but what I mean, is it too low for most of the streets in this world of ours?
I would expect to scuff the nose on some approaches but didn't know if the break over point it also too low. Too low also for some road kill?!
I am trying to work out if I should go for the Sport suspension which is sort of lower but not all the way down.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:10 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I have an aerokit I without the RoW. Occasionally, I will scratch the front bumper lip (the black plastic piece, not the bumper itself...though I did the latter once also). It generally happens out of driveways or around town when the pavement can swell from the heat. The key is to be patient and attentive and it won't occur too often. It's never THAT jarring and the lip is just modestly 'sanded'. Indeed, I'm definitely moving to RoW once it reaches the top of my must-have list of items.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The aerokit extends the bumper out and lower so driveways will be a bigger challenge if you add RoW030. Even without the RoW030 there are many driveways my car can not take.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm probably the most aggressively lowered with c4s front bumper with aero lip.... it scrapes sometimes, but nothing to be worried about.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

dont stomp on the brakes when approaching pothole or bad roads at speed... it will lower your front end even more and scrape or loos a chin... just drive slower
Old 07-16-2007, 01:05 PM
jim3
Instructor

I have aero and GT3 springs and shox which makes it lower than row. Lip scrapes some but I watch how I enter / leave parking lots and driveways. Go for it.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:41 PM
rcronin
Advanced

Very cool feedback.
I was kind of half expecting someone to tell me that I couldn't go the full RoW drop AND have the nose kit.
Light scuffs I could probably live with but I was worried about tossing 5 grand or more into the body and have it destroyed.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:26 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by rcronin
So after months of working this around in my head I have gotten nothing to show for my time.
The problem is that I like the full drop that the RoW suspension kit has. Looks great and would drive as expected.
I also like the Aero kit for the C2 that also lowers the lines of the car.
But can they both be done???
Sure they can be done but what I mean, is it too low for most of the streets in this world of ours?
I would expect to scuff the nose on some approaches but didn't know if the break over point it also too low. Too low also for some road kill?!
I am trying to work out if I should go for the Sport suspension which is sort of lower but not all the way down.
RoW M030 doesn't lower your car that much. You will still have a pretty good gap between the wheels and the fender-well. No aerokit is in danger of rubbing.

-td
Old 07-16-2007, 03:03 PM
wlee69
Addict
Rennlist Member

If you are concerned with the scraping in the front, you can attach a lip onto the GT3/aero bumper that is just black plastic. Its cheap enough that when it gets totally ruined, you can just put another one on the bottom of the bumper. I did that on my bumper and its come in pretty handy as my car is also lowered so the front does scrape on certain roads...
Old 07-16-2007, 04:05 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

I say slam it until there is no light under the car...JK, but I do like a really low car myself.

I have the Aero Kit on my 99 (MKI) with lowered springs rolling on 19's and it is pretty low, lower than the M030 RoW but not as low as a PSS9 or X74. I do have the black lip on the bottom of the front bumper and it will scrape now and then but you just have to be more careful when going into drieveways, speed bumps or even parking spots (btw wlee69, this lip is a necessity for the aerodynamics of the aero kit, but it is a replaceable item like you said for about $75 so I too would rather destroy that than the bumper itself). I am also looking at lowering the car a little more with another suspension system so I will have to be even more careful.

Now with the PSS9 screwed down to the ground or the X74, will the car be too low for the streets? I say just avoid bad roads, you know where they are. But if you have no choice then do the best you can, drive slowly and avoid as much as possible. As for Ride, both systems are designed to give you a good enough ride for what they do.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:37 PM
Miller_arch
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

To assist in a comparision of ROW to H&R spring ride height I offer the following. The first two pictures are ROW (M030) and the second pair are H&R springs. The car has the factory sport suspension (and PSE exhausts but I digress). This will soon be my car, waiting to make the trade for my 993 plus some cash. Hopefully the deal goes through in a week or so.

Finally the last two pics are with the side aero kit, the missing GT front bumper aero will also be included with the trade (plus a third radiator).

Hope this helps. More pics when she's mine!
Attached Images       
Old 07-17-2007, 11:49 AM
viper501
Instructor

I have the aero 1 and X74. Yeah, it scrapes occasionally but not badly. I'm careful to avoid certain things (like huge speed bumps) and take driveways carefully.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:15 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

As long as you keep a good head on your shoulders and you're aware of your surroundings you should have no problems with factory Aero and ROW 030. My car is considerably lower than this and my wife even drives it regularly without issue. I do have the lower splitter removed from the factory aero bumper for street use but my suspension is likely 30-40mm lower than the ROW 030 height.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:19 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
As long as you keep a good head on your shoulders and you're aware of your surroundings you should have no problems with factory Aero and ROW 030. My car is considerably lower than this and my wife even drives it regularly without issue. I do have the lower splitter removed from the factory aero bumper for street use but my suspension is likely 30-40mm lower than the ROW 030 height.

Your car looks sweet...is that the x74? Are those 18's?
Old 07-17-2007, 12:26 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Nope...lower than X74 too, but only by about 10-15mm

It's H&R RSS clubsport coilovers. I wouldn't suggest running as low as I am without a good bit more spring rate than most setups have as you'll run into bump steer issues on the track. (I suppose on the street this isn't a concern) The H&R Clubsports have approx. twice the spring rate of a GT3 for a reference point.

The wheels are factory 18' sport designs (8' wide fronts)

Andy

Quick Reply: RoW drop and Aero