996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

I suck... Bumperettes

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

anybody know how to get the bumperettes off? Looked in manual, but can't find details. Thx!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:24 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Wellardmac]Dutchie, sorry to hear about the bumperettes... need to line your side mirrors up with a marker in your garage. I've always been paranoid about the door hitting the car.QUOTE]

I have a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling... hit it and I am good to go (gives me about two feet of space between rear bumper and door. Somehow, I had a big brainfart and did not even come close to hitting the tennis ball... No clue how I could have been this stupid!!
Old 07-15-2007, 05:31 PM
rbjbbb
Instructor

Dutchie,

A large allen wrench inserted from the bottom. Shine a light up to see your target. Make sure to guard the bumper from scratches as you turn the allen wrench. The set where the wrenches fold out like a pocket knife are better since you don't have the 'L' bend and you have multiple sizes. Only have to unscrew it a few turns and then the bumperette kinda slides off with a slight angle.

Oh, I forgot to mention this is the method on pre-facelift. Not sure if they changed after the facelift or not?

RB
Old 07-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

[QUOTE=Dutchie in NC]
Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Dutchie, sorry to hear about the bumperettes... need to line your side mirrors up with a marker in your garage. I've always been paranoid about the door hitting the car.QUOTE]

I have a tennis ball hanging from the ceiling... hit it and I am good to go (gives me about two feet of space between rear bumper and door. Somehow, I had a big brainfart and did not even come close to hitting the tennis ball... No clue how I could have been this stupid!!

Ooops! Not good. Oh well, some days we just get distracted.
Old 07-15-2007, 07:22 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

That sucks man, I hate to see those little injuries. Do the old school tennis ball on a rope for the garage. I have a laser one that shoots to the hood..
Old 07-15-2007, 08:28 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=Dutchie in NC]
Dutchie, sorry to hear about the bumperettes... need to line your side mirrors up with a marker in your garage. I've always been paranoid about the door hitting the car.QUOTE]

Maybe you should replace the tennis ball with a bowling ball. When you hear the thunk, you can stop.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 136 Likes on 72 Posts

[QUOTE=gota911]
Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Maybe you should replace the tennis ball with a bowling ball. When you hear the thunk, you can stop.

Then how would he differentiate from the occasions where he's banging his head against the wall after reading a thread here at Rennlist?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:48 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 195 Likes on 108 Posts

You can slide a screwdriver up under the cap and pry gently. The tabs can fight you though. The hard shell bumperettes on the '03 are held into slots with tabs on the covers. Go slowly.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 07-15-2007, 09:21 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

[QUOTE=Wellardmac]
Originally Posted by gota911

Then how would he differentiate from the occasions where he's banging his head against the wall after reading a thread here at Rennlist?
Well, one of the "thunks" should sound a little more hollow than the other one. He has to figure out which is which!
Old 07-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Dutchie in NC
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=gota911]
Well, one of the "thunks" should sound a little more hollow than the other one. He has to figure out which is which!
That might be a very close call...
Old 07-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by Dutchie in NC
Got home late last night and parked my car in the garage... didn't drive it far enough in and when the garage door closed it scratched my bumperettes
Couple of preventative measures you might consider for the future:

1. Move the garage door electric eye safety xmitter and rcvr up or down as required so that they are at the height of the part of your car that protrudes the farthest on the rear end, e.g.: the bumperettes on a 911. That way, door will not come down until the car is clearly inside.

2. invest $15 - 20 and buy a laser parking indicator to mount above your car. Park in your desired spot (I leave enough room to walk behind my car and open the hood while the garage door is down), then spot the laser on a reference spot on your dash. Always pull in so that the red dot is hitting that spot.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:04 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
1. Move the garage door electric eye safety xmitter and rcvr up or down as required so that they are at the height of the part of your car that protrudes the farthest on the rear end, e.g.: the bumperettes on a 911. That way, door will not come down until the car is clearly inside.
This is a GREAT idea. I have never really had a problem with this, but I would rather not take the chance. Now I have a weekend project.
Old 07-16-2007, 11:11 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Could have been much worse!
Old 07-16-2007, 03:10 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about your mishap, but it sounds like Eric's already got you covered.

After I park my car in the garage, I always walk by the rear to check on the clearance before going into the house. I have a laser parking device also, but the indicator I trust the most are my own eyes.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:03 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

That's a total bummer, but it could be worse... My garage door spring broke, the door was pulled from its tracks, and the entire door fell on top of my car on the 4th of July.

Quick Reply: I suck... Bumperettes