Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dealer scratched my car during service - advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007 | 07:05 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

RB, good idea but no chance since they already sent it off to the body shop.

Benjamin, the exact same thought crossed my mind yesterday. Next time I'm leaving my car anywhere I'll do a walk through with the service guy.

Talked to the dealer this morning and it was a very good conversation. They acknowledged this happened while in the shop. They had talked to the staff already and they suspect it happened after the work was completed. Probably got scratched when they washed it. They will take care of it and the service manager said he will do whatever needs to be done to put this right. I asked to make sure they paint the whole rear quarter panel so there is no visable signs of repainting. So far so good. They are doing everything that I could possibly ask for.

Will let you know how it turns out in the end. Car should be done early next week. Thanks for the support guys!
Old 07-13-2007 | 02:36 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

That's a total bummer... I agree with Chuck to see how the dealer responds, but it is also good arm yourself with some helpful information. I have one comment to this point. The clear coat on my door is peeling slightly just where the window rubber trim is located. I had a body shop inspect my car and he said this is common in P-cars with paint/body work. It was determined that there was some previous paint work done, and the rubber trim was not removed in this case - which he said was common since it usually gets ruined when removed and its expensive to replace. The paint was done as close to the rubber as possible, but eventually it peeled, it is small and probably only noticeable to me, but it is there. I do not know if the rubber sealings around this area on your car fall into the same category, or if the paint/clearcoat has to get right up to the edge (I assume it does based on the location), but I would ask. It may look perfect for a year, then start to peel down the road. Just my .02. Sorry to hear this, and good luck!
Old 07-13-2007 | 03:19 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

I don't know what to say. Glad to hear they are treating your right.
In the past I have always declined the "free" car wash from the dealer because of just this sort of issue. Sounds like they are already in the process, but if you need a recommendation for a good paint shop in the BayArea let me know.

PM me with the dealer name, I'd like to know.
Thanks
Old 07-13-2007 | 06:11 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Went there today to make sure we were on the same page regarding the repairs. They are repainting the whole quarter panel and the whole roof line to make sure it's done right. I definately think they are doing everything they can to put this right for me. They had a Cayenne waiting for me to drive until they get my car done so they are taking care of me. No complaints so far.
Old 07-13-2007 | 06:32 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Swede_Matt
Went there today to make sure we were on the same page regarding the repairs. They are repainting the whole quarter panel and the whole roof line to make sure it's done right. I definately think they are doing everything they can to put this right for me. They had a Cayenne waiting for me to drive until they get my car done so they are taking care of me. No complaints so far.
Good to hear this Matt, and that dealership I have heard is top notch so starnge to hear this happened, that is they didn't say anything, oh well.

Let me know how the paint comes out and who did it as the dealership does not have one onsite as far as I am aware.
Old 07-14-2007 | 02:52 PM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Interesting if this is Carlsen.

A local 987 Boxster owner had her car in for an oil change about 2 weeks ago. The service guy called her and said an air hose went wild and scratched her door. Her door was repainted.
Old 07-14-2007 | 03:19 PM
2fas4u
Instructor

Talking name !

Now tell us the name since they're looking after you. Others will remember how they fixed thier mistake, and remember everybody makes them. People are remembered for 2 things the probs they caused, or the probs they solved. (Eureka)... or even the probs they solved because they caused
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:48 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

OK, figured I should follow up and tell you all how this all ended. A lot of stories on the message boards are about negative experiences so it's good to share some positive ones as well.

Picked up my car last week and it looks great. The dealership really did take care of this in a very good way. The whole quarter panel is repainted, even the strip of metal that runs along the roofline all the way to where it meets the front hood. The paint job looks great and there is no way for me to tell it's been done. Steven (Speed Demon) saw it live last weekend as well and liked the result.

I'm glad this had a happy ending and my baby looks better than before the scratch =)
Old 07-25-2007 | 09:59 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

mate
Old 07-25-2007 | 10:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Matt - I'm glad that worked out for you!
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:07 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Awesomundo!

I just invented that word, but it's nice to hear a story that worked out well.

Last edited by Wellardmac; 07-25-2007 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:21 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Fantasticamundo....I invented that word. LOL
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:30 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

It's a mundo kinda day.
Old 07-25-2007 | 11:37 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

It's a humpdaymundo