996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dash symbol - how to remove

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 06:41 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Nope, I was referring the fact that Phil didn't RTFM!
Old 07-08-2007, 06:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
Nope, I was referring the fact that Phil didn't RTFM!
Yeah, but are you surprised that this happened?

As a neighbor it's my duty to get his car out and driven and I'll admit that I'm doing a lousy job with him so far.

...maybe I need to borrow Phil's car and take it out to show it what it was born to do. I could even take his wife along for the ride so that she can pity the poor neglected beast sitting in her garage.
Old 07-08-2007, 06:46 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Not surprised at all. IIRC, the glove box containing the manual doesn't open until the break-in period is done
Old 07-08-2007, 07:52 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
The little green 3/4 circle (speedo icon with arrow) shows up on my speedometer - I'm assuming this is a speed alert. I tried to eliminate it using the trip computer, but whether the "activated" box is checked or unchecked, the icon stays lit. Any suggestions?

Tim and Wayne - no wisecracks.
< SIGH! >

< Tim reads this ^ and sadly shakes his head. Thinks he should probably read the other postings first, but has decided not to do so. He says to himself, "Self, if Phil would drive the @#%&*(^$# car he would know that 'the little green 3/4 circle' is the indicator for the cruise control. All he needs to do is press the end of the lower right-hand steering wheel stalk and the 'the little green 3/4 circle' will be turned off. I guess he doesn't ever use cruise control while he is practicing shifting from reverse to first in his driveway!" >

< SIGH! >

< "What should I do? I guess I could tell Phil to but that probably wouldn't be too nice, since Phil specifically asked for no wise cracks from Wayne and me. I am sure that was really directed at Wayne but Phil probably didn't want to single out Wayne so he included me, too. Yeah, that's what he meant!"

"Ok, back to the problem! What to do... what to do....? Hmmmmm...... OK, I got it!" >

Phil, I am not really certain about this but I think that may be the Cruise Control indicator. I think if you press the end of the lower stalk on the right-hand side of the steering column, that just might turn it off. Wait a minute, I'll go out to my car and check.......... <hee hee.... Phil probably really thinks I went out to my car and checked..... hee hee>

OK, I'm back. Yeah, that should do it, just press the end of the lower stalk to turn of the Cruise Control light on the dash. Hope that helps!

< Tim once again thinks to himself, "Man, that was hard to keep from making a wise-@ss comment, but I think I showed great restraint! Phil will never know how much I wanted jab him and jab him good! Oh well, one opportunity passed upon, but there is always tomorrow.....!" >

Last edited by gota911; 11-27-2007 at 12:48 AM.
Old 07-08-2007, 08:45 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Old 07-08-2007, 08:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Are you sure it's the cruise control, Tim? Right stalk, push in .....
Old 07-08-2007, 09:11 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Yeah, I'm pretty sure. However, let me go out to my car and check again. I'll be right back............

Ok, I'm back! Yup, lower right ...... well, you know the rest!
Old 07-08-2007, 11:37 PM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Phil, Phil, Phil...

I can't beleive you're falling for this. These guys are being cruel, taking advantage of you this way.. that little green icon has *nothing* to do with cruise control. As you mentioned, why would anyone have cruise control on a Porsche?

No, contrary to the line these guys have been feeding you, let me give you the straight scoop.. Porsche was aware that sometimes these cars become, um, "garage queens" is the word someone used - when that happens the fuel has a tendency to age in the tank to the point where it can harm the fuel delivery system. So Porsche very wisely put a "fuel age monitoring system" (FAMS) in these cars. The little green light is just the FAMS system kicking in, letting you know you need to go drive the car for a few hundred miles or so to burn up all that nasty old gas and get some new in the tank.

I'd recommend running the car until it's absolutely empty, and you run out of gas by the side of the road. Then call Porsche roadside assistance and tell them you had a "green light on the FAMS so you went on aged fuel depletion run" and to come with a fresh tank of gas.. Tell 'em Rennlist sent you..

- Nick
Old 07-08-2007, 11:42 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Old 07-08-2007, 11:57 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Oh Nick, now you let the cat out of the bag! Damn, we had him going there for a while, but now all our efforts have been wasted! Thanks A LOT!

Old 07-08-2007, 11:58 PM
Swede_Matt
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FAMS...Wow, that's worse than an RMS I've heard. Not sure this is easily fixed.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Well, be careful - some models have the advanced option of the FARTs - Fuel Age Rating and Type monitors, where the car triggers a warning if you put the wrong kind of gas in there... wrong octane, cheap gas instead of branded gas, etc.

You know, I think that Phil might have a FART instead of a FAM, as the FAMS has a blue light and he said his was green.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Good thing the light wasn't red, as that would have made it a FARQ and you really don't one of those to go off on your car.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:29 AM
BoulderNick
Three Wheelin'

Location: Boulder, CO : 12 Square miles surrounded by reality.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Good thing the light wasn't red, as that would have made it a FARQ and you really don't one of those to go off on your car.
Indeed.. it's embarassing to have to call the dealer and tell them you've been FARQ'ed.

- Nick
Old 07-09-2007, 12:43 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by BoulderNick
Indeed.. it's embarassing to have to call the dealer and tell them you've been FARQ'ed.

- Nick
I think Phil's problem is old gas, and as Wayne pointed out, Phil said his light was green. So I guess that makes Phil an old FART!

Quick Reply: Dash symbol - how to remove