Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Dented fender on my perfect car - advise?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 06:05 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dented fender on my perfect car - advise?

A bicycle was dropped near my parked 1999 C4 today (by my kid of all things!), and the bike hit it on the fender and bumper and did some ding damage.
I could make an insurance claim - not sure I will or not yet.

If I take it to a bodyshop for repair, I am sure they can get the dents out and respray, but is this the best way to go? Can I order an arctic silver new Right Fender and just have it installed? Same for the bumper damage?

It's not serious damage, but you know how my stomach feels I am sure - still queasy about it. I'm trying to put it in perspective, but I love that car and it sickens me to have any damage on it. ugh.

It just happened an hour ago, and I thought I better get this out of my system. Already I feel better just posting my questions about this here.

My main questions:

1. Would it be better to order a new Right Fender with arctic silver paint and have a dealer install it? The nearest Porsche dealer is 500Km away, but I don't mind driving there for a holiday. Is it common to just replace the fender and bumper and send the damaged one's to the jobbers? I'd lke that and it would restore my vehicular karma.

OR

2. Should I get the best autobody shop in town to do their thing and fix it?

3. If the body shop does the repair and repainting, will my car's finish be just as good as new? Close to good as new?

4. Do you guys think I should do an insurance claim? I have no prior claims and a $50.00 deductible deluxe policy of some sort.

The attached pictures show the 3 dent areas. Kindof a gouge scrape on the fender and a really deep ding closer to the front of the fender, and then on the bumper wheel well a line of crush damage with spidering of the paint.

Now I'll go throw up.

Last edited by BuddyK; 11-22-2007 at 02:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:15 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

I was going to say - I'd like to just order the replacement fender and bumper and just have the dealer install it. That way I know it'll go back together perfectly and I'll have factory paint?

I wonder what that would cost and whether it's worthwhile overall.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:38 PM
Seeeu911
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 16 Posts

Go give you kid a hug and tell them its only a car...
Old 07-07-2007, 06:43 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

to get a new fender fitted and painted will run you $2k (part is about $450, rest is in paint and labour). To fit the fender they need to get the door off and then blend the paint into the door and hood - so it's a pretty serious undertaking for what looks like a minor ding. My ding was a lot bigger and really required a replacement......
Old 07-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seeeu911
Go give you kid a hug and tell them its only a car...

haha totally - man if i did that to my dad's car and he was **** about it... i'd be soooo scared to tell him.

-take it to a good body shop to get it done right
-don't file a claim if you can swing the repair with visa/cash - it'll stick on your record for a good 3 years
Old 07-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

First to answer your question no, you cannot order a silver fender from the dealer. They come in a bad primer to be finished by the paint shop. Second, YOU DO NOT NEED A NEW FENDER! No body shop or insurance co. in the world would ever replace that fender. Simple fix but the biggest concern will be in the paint match on a silver car. The fender will need to be blended into the door to make this work. Not a big deal but it is the reason to use the best body shop you can find.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:58 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Totally, completely agree with Steven C. A really top end body shop will remove the dent and repaint without your being able to detect it. Plantraco, if you post the area where you live, I'm sure fellow Rennlisters will suggest some high end shops for an estimate. Don't replace the quarter panel - you're throwing your $$ away.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 PM
juankimalo
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

What do you think about this?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/501379...ith_airduster/
Old 07-07-2007, 09:26 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Juan...I was just gonna post that.....except I've seen people use the computer keyboard C02 cans as well instead of dry ice. They hold the can upside down and spray for about 10 seconds after warming the metal. Not sure if that will work here b/c it look like scratches here.

I just came from Walgreens looking for that stuff so I can test it on my wife's minivan....it's dented all over....she's so bad. But the videos with the examples are really amazing.

Also.....most insurance companies will not surcharge you or revoke your accident free status if your total claim is under 1K dollars. I just did it with state farm on a small fix on the bmw....double checked everything and they wrote me a check for 500 bucks.....the repair was 1K, so my deductible was subtracted. IT HAS ZERO EFFECT ON MY INSURANCE as I hit a parking curb and didn't claim over 1K. It's actually a law in many states that you can't be succharged for something that minor under 1K.

J
Old 07-07-2007, 09:29 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

Thanks for the good advice. My son is over it, probably more so than I am, but yeah, worse things could have happen.

Looks like I'll get the autobody shop to do the repairs and get it over with - I might call my insurance broker to see what the effect on my insurance would be for making a claim for these dings.

As for that video with he CO2 - that was pretty neet, but won't help my small dents I don't think. The paint is a bit wrecked too.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:02 PM
Mr. C4
Drifting

PDR followed by paint.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:22 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

It could be much worse, the other day my garage door broke, came off its tracks, and landed on my car. Got a similar "ding", several other minor scuffs and scratches in multiple locations, and some canvas top damage (it was a light/cheap door, but seemed to hit every panel) - I can't wait to see how it goes with the insurance. Best of luck!
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
PDR followed by paint.
But why, if he's painting anyway?

I had something similar happened but a LARGER damage on the driver's fender alone. I had it repainted, NOT replaced... the bodyshop only recolored the damaged part, NOT the entire fender BUT they did re-clear the entire fender. Came out perfect, even with orangepeel that matches. Worth $1k. I didn't claim it to my insurance since it's something minor that could cause my rate to increase.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:44 PM
BuddyK
Instructor

My son said 7-7-7 isn't so lucky for us today!

As you say - it could have been worse.
Old 07-08-2007, 02:49 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

That is not too bad, but I do know how you feel.
At least it's outside the car and your interior is safe,
and they don't have to remove any other panels etc.
Looks like a simple fix for the bodyshop.

I just had my damaged door repaired and repainted.
Didn't do a perfect job I'm afraid.

Quick Reply: Dented fender on my perfect car - advise?