Sponsored by:

X-Pipe???

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:59 PM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X-Pipe???

I suppose that the Porsche Carrera exhaust system could best be described as true-dual. One exhaust for each bank of cylinders.

Suppose there were a way to create an X-Pipe in the exhaust system thereby equalling the flow rate of both banks of cylinders.

Could this be benefitial?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:27 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I honestly don't know the answer to your question (so sorry to waste the bandwidth), but I wouldn't do it. The reason is that the exhaust system's job is not just to flow gases. It's to manage the pulses of exhaust gas. Exhausts are tuned for this, because the way the pulses are managed has a big impact on the power curve (sorta like, if you let them stack up you get more low end torque, and if you move them through the system faster, you lose some of that but get high end power). Anyway, sorry for the lame-*** explanation, but suffice to say that exhausts are not just pipes that get rid of smoke, they're tuned components. So, no being an expert on exhausts, I wouldn't mess with it, especially like that.

This and a subway token will get you downtown.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:59 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NAvyC4S
I suppose that the Porsche Carrera exhaust system could best be described as true-dual. One exhaust for each bank of cylinders.

Suppose there were a way to create an X-Pipe in the exhaust system thereby equalling the flow rate of both banks of cylinders.

Could this be benefitial?
First, look at the exhaust system. They banks are already equal since they use the same type and length of tubing with the same bends. X-pipes are normally used to replace H-pipes where the crossover is used to equilize flow due to restrictive exhaust routing. An X-pipe will increase flow and power due to reducing turbulence in the exhaust, bit it isn't going to be a benefit for a fulling independent bank exhaust like on the 996.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:15 AM
NAvyC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So therefore a true dual setup like we have is superior and the engineers at Stuttgart know what they're doing.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:57 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The engineers in Stuttgart learned their lessons long ago. You can trace the beneifts of a true dual system back to the 964 and 993. The 964 made 247 hp (250 hp ROW) with a fairly restrictive 2 into 1 exhaust. The 95' 993 increased that number to 272 hp. The major difference in the 95' 993 and the 964 is just the 993 had a true dual exhaust and convertering to a 993 exhaust on a 964 usually nets 20 hp. The 993 got another 13 hp when Porsche changed the intake manifold, heads and cams in 96', but as you can see the exhaust was a much bigger restriction.

Quick Reply: X-Pipe???