Sponsored by:

Blown motor and aftermarket warranty

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Ranger
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce, you make valid points. But......
Insurance and warranties are always a gamble. I bought my car to go have fun with it, not to baby it. I figured that there was a reasonable chance that I'd have $2800 worth of issues in 4 years (at which point the car would be 12yrs old). Heck, I figure a couple AC components alone would have me bumping into $2800.

What I bought was peace of mind. And you're right, I bought some hassles too. For me it has worked out, but for most folks it probably does not work out. If aftermarket warranties weren't profitable, they wouldn't exist.

Years ago I bought an aftermarket warranty on a Toyota. I figured that the AC would never last. I lost that bet.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:29 PM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Years ago I bought an aftermarket warranty on a Toyota. I figured that the AC would never last. I lost that bet.
Damn. I took the bet that it WOULD last. Now I have a highlander, about 8k miles out of warranty with not a bit of cold air coming out of the vents.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:40 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Ranger
Insurance and warranties are always a gamble.
I actually always thought of insurance as a fee you can pay to avoid gambling. It's life that's the gamble. I think to buy an aftermarket warranty with your eyes open, you need to ask yourself if it's worth the money for the financial safety and predictability it buys you, not whether you're going to 'win' or 'lose'. If safety and predictability are worth two or three grand to you, then the warranty is a bargain, and for some people that would be true. For me, I would HATE to buy a new motor, but I could afford it. So, for me, that makes a warranty a waste of money.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:34 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Great info from the OP. Nice write up.

I too had the same decision when I first bought my 99, and I opted not to get the warranty. Turns out it was a good decision (so I thought at the time), because 2 of the companies that had given me quotes went belly-up. I thought to myself, "I just saved $3,000 bucks. Smart me."

But then when I did need an engine replacement, it hurt. My father told me that there is a difference between being able to BUY something, and being able to AFFORD something. For me, being able to afford the engine replacement didn't mean that I had to like it - in fact, PCNA's callous attitude about the whole thing made me even more mad (my car had 54K miles).

What's my point?

1. I am glad that the warranty company poined up for your replacement. Good for you for fighting them.

2. If I were buying a 99 today, even if it had a replacement motor, I would buy the warranty. When the car costs $20K-25K, it REALLY makes sense.

3. Porsche should be doing more to help owners with this problem just like BMW did. Hell, Microsoft just lost $1BB replacing X-box's and extending warranties. Now wouldn't that make us all feel a little better if PCNA would just say, "We know there are problems and we love our owners, so here is a bone for your trouble."
Old 07-06-2007, 08:28 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joes c4 cab
My father told me that there is a difference between being able to BUY something, and being able to AFFORD something.
A wise man. Pretty cool little aphorism, which I think I might steal, if you don't mind.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This has been a great discussion....with good input from both sides....but I too have to agree with what Joe'dad told him.

The fact remains that with what we've already got into these cars (focused upon the 3.4L), we're more or less locked into having the engines either repaired or replaced. You'd be hard pressed to get anywhere what it might be worth with a blown engine. I'm just not convinced that the percentage of blown engines happens to be worth the $3,000 I'd spend betting that it's going to happen. Bruce and I happen to think one way...but I realize that there are a lot of folks out there who need that peace of mind.

I find it curious that I never have given even the slightest thought to the durability or longevity of my 01 Dodge dually diesel sitting in the driveway. I only paid $20K for it and I pull a 14K pound fifth wheel with it all over the place. Here I sit with a $40K Porsche pondering over it's potential frailties like it's a porcelain prima donna. We just need to drive these cars and enjoy them and quit worrying about the what-if.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
This has been a great discussion....with good input from both sides....but I too have to agree with what Joe'dad told him.
Bingo! I agree. Don't buy a Porsche if you cannot afford to deal with the worst that it has to throw at you.

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
We just need to drive these cars and enjoy them and quit worrying about the what-if.
Amen.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:49 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
First off, I'm very sorry for what you've been through and I hope that things work out for you going forward.

Speaking for myself - and just myself - I have to say that it all just doesn't seem worth it. The warranty ends up costing a quarter of what a new motor would cost (surely our odds are better than 1:4), you then have to be paranoid about what you put on the car, how you drive it and where you talk about it publicly, and if the warranty comes into play you still have some grief and expense to deal with in the process.

Me, I'd rather 'self insure'. If owning a Porsche can't be fun, I just don't see the point. And if you would be so financially screwed by an engine failure that you're willing to pay 25% of the cost of it forward, then this particular car might not be a great choice. I can see the economics of it if you depend on a vehicle for your living, like a contractor with a pickup truck. But not for a toy.

Just my .02, YMMV, all that. Again, good luck. I hope you're back on the road and enjoying yourself soon.

Nicely said, Bruce.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:55 AM
Bucket_hat_Loren
Instructor

I will offer my own expereince as a foil. Warranty Direct has been great for me. Just this week completely covered leaking valve covers. Have also covered RMS, cab top motors (x2) and a bunch of other stuff. Never a problem. My dealer calls them and they approve the work on the spot. Every time and at this point I am well past break even.
Old 07-07-2007, 11:25 AM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by Bucket_hat_Loren
I will offer my own expereince as a foil. Warranty Direct has been great for me. Just this week completely covered leaking valve covers. Have also covered RMS, cab top motors (x2) and a bunch of other stuff. Never a problem. My dealer calls them and they approve the work on the spot. Every time and at this point I am well past break even.

Ouch! Not much of an endorsement for Porsche though.

Sometimes I wonder why I read this forum. I have had 7 Porsches over the years racking up lots of miles and never had a problem. Never thought I needed to really worry until I started reading this forum.

I have a '99 with 86,000 miles on it and it has been basically trouble free since I got it at 40,000. My warranty runs out at the end of January. My original thought was to keep the car past warranty, but after reading all of these tales of woe, it makes me wonder.

As I read through here, it is difficult to guage just how big a problem it is. Are we reading about a very small percentage of problems or are we really driving ticking time bombs? I just wish there was some way to definitively know.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:49 PM
viper501
Instructor

Warranty companies are in business to make money. The only way they do that is by limiting the money that they pay out. As this thread demonstrates, they will do what they can to avoid paying the claim. I've had to refer friends to colleauges of mine to resolve these issues through litigation. I've also represented dealerships and finance companies where they get sued because the warranty company isn't doing what they should be doing, i.e. paying for the repair. Furthermore, aftermarket warranties are a profit center for the dealerships. They get, generally, about half of the 'cost' you pay for the warranty just by shuffling the paper through to the warranty company. More frightening is the very real possibilty that the warranty company will evaporate before you actually make the claim. Then you're left with a worthless piece of paper to go after a warranty company that has/had no assets so even if you get a judgment, there is nothing to collect on. In effect, you're betting that a) you will need to make a claim in excess of the payment, b) that the company will be around to deal with the claim, and c) that you will actually get them to pay for the repair.

Save your money and invest it. You're going to be much better off.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:03 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
A wise man. Pretty cool little aphorism, which I think I might steal, if you don't mind.
Steal away - use it in good health.

He told me that story when his buddy brought over his new Ferrari he bought since his Rolls Royce was in the shop so much. That was probably around 1982. I asked my dad, "how come we cannot have a Ferrari?" He said, "I could buy one, but there is a difference between being able to buy something and being able to afford something."

He was right, because about 5 years ago - I loaned my dad's same friend some money. He never learned that lesson.

Quick Reply: Blown motor and aftermarket warranty