Sponsored by:

How to remove overspray from car

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:26 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool How to remove overspray from car

I was washing the car last night & noticed that the hood/top of the car have white overspray all over. I thoroughly washed the car with Zymol wash & then proceeded to wax the car with Zymol wax thinking that the overspray would come off. Needless to say, the surface is still very rough to the touch. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas how to remove this. I'm not sure if the overspray is an enamel, latex or oil. If I use my fingernail, it is possible to scratch it off the clearcoat. I would appreciate any ideas.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:33 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

You may want to try clay first (with car wash or detailer). If that doesn't work, you could try scratch-x. Good luck.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

The most popular option is probably going to be Clay bar. You can find this at most of your local auto parts stores. However in some instances the contamination can be soo bad that the clay bar doesn't start to put a dent in it.

There are also decontamination (chemical) washes on the market but I'd only resort to them if the clay doesn't work first.

Andy
Old 07-06-2007, 12:35 PM
DFC
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 to start with clay. You can always call either Griots Garage or Autopia and ask them as well. 3M makes a good tar remover, that may work as well, but you will want to make sure that you wax the area again because it will strip away any existing wax.

www.autopia.com
www.griotsgarage.com

Quick Reply: How to remove overspray from car