Sponsored by:

Many of you think rebuild 996 engines from Porsche donīt blow, wrong

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 06:50 AM
J.Seven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Many of you think rebuild 996 engines from Porsche donīt blow, wrong

In some other threads there have been discussed that rebuild engines from Porsche have the latest upgrades and donīt blow. I know cases where the second engine blow, thatīs why I sold my car after the blow out.

Hereīs a second rebuild engine blow out
Old 07-04-2007, 09:09 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

There is no such thing as an engine that NEVER fails, from Toyotas to space shuttles.

But you were wise to sell your car. There is no point having fun things if you're afraid of them, or you can't afford to fix them if they break.
Old 07-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Tbred911
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Seven
In some other threads there have been discussed that rebuild engines from Porsche have the latest upgrades and donīt blow. I know cases where the second engine blow, thatīs why I sold my car after the blow out.

what year was the car that you sold? 3.6 motor?
Old 07-04-2007, 12:56 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

Originally Posted by c70Pete
what year was the car that you sold? 3.6 motor?
99, 3.4L
Old 07-04-2007, 01:41 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

99, 3.4L

Whew!!! It's a damn good thing you sold that grenade when you did, it WILL blow again at anytime!!! Come to think of it I will sell mine also(2000 Carrera 2), any takers out there for state of the art German artillery.

IMHO you should replace the 996 with a bicycle. I have yet to hear of an engine failure on one of those.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:11 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Whew!!! It's a damn good thing you sold that grenade when you did, it WILL blow again at anytime!!! Come to think of it I will sell mine also(2000 Carrera 2), any takers out there for state of the art German artillery.

IMHO you should replace the 996 with a bicycle. I have yet to hear of an engine failure on one of those.
Bad advice. I had a flat on my bike ride this morning. I've got a nice Lightspeed for sale if anyone is interested.

I really can't imagine owning a Porsche if a $10k repair would be that scary. Just because these car can be purchased at a pretty reasonable price doesn't mean they are cheap to own.
Jim
Old 07-04-2007, 02:20 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by JimB
Bad advice. I had a flat on my bike ride this morning. I've got a nice Lightspeed for sale if anyone is interested.

I really can't imagine owning a Porsche if a $10k repair would be that scary. Just because these car can be purchased at a pretty reasonable price doesn't mean they are cheap to own.
Jim
On my bike, I'M the engine. And I have failed many times.

(Fully agree on your last comment. Depreciation has put 996s into the hands of some people that really don't have deep enough pockets to keep one on the road and therefore, I would argue, actually enjoy it.)
Old 07-04-2007, 02:38 PM
DreamCarrera
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by BruceP
On my bike, I'M the engine. And I have failed many times.

(Fully agree on your last comment. Depreciation has put 996s into the hands of some people that really don't have deep enough pockets to keep one on the road and therefore, I would argue, actually enjoy it.)

At least on the bicycle there is a quick fix for an engine failure. Simply pull off to the side of the road and let the "engine"(rider) cool down as you slowly add more "coolant"(Gatorade) to the "engine".

P.S. Add "coolant" slowly to the hole near the top of the "engine".

Look at the bright side, on a bicycle "engine" failures will become less numerous the more miles you put on the vehicle.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:43 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by DreamCarrera
Look at the bright side, on a bicycle "engine" failures will become less numerous the more miles you put on the vehicle.
This has also been said of Porsches.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:45 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

Jim
Money is not the question, but probably itīs not your fault for you to think that way.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:59 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree with Bruce. These are not cheap cars to mantain. Try owning 928's for 16 years as I did. Those cars make the 996 look cheap.

Try a Jaguar next or Aston, 90's Mercedes....... If you want a more dependable car buy a Honda or Toyota (Lexus) as I did for my wife and daughter.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:09 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats VERY rare for it to happen twice....but I am glad you got out.....
Old 07-04-2007, 03:49 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Money is not the question, but probably itīs not your fault for you to think that way.
If money is not the question then what is? I admit that the time I spend at the track taints my view of car repairs but if you're not worried about the money, drive the car like you stole it. If it breaks, fix it and drive some more. I can't imagine a better sports car bargin than a 99 996 right now. Even if you replace an engine every two or three years (which you won't) its still a bargin.
Jim
Old 07-04-2007, 04:24 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

If money is not the question then what is? I admit that the time I spend at the track taints my view of car repairs but if you're not worried about the money, drive the car like you stole it. If it breaks, fix it and drive some more. I can't imagine a better sports car bargin than a 99 996 right now. Even if you replace an engine every two or three years (which you won't) its still a bargin.
Jim
Yes, you can even have a 996 for the price of two rebuilds.

Incredible bargain
Old 07-04-2007, 04:37 PM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Yes, you can even have a 996 for the price of two rebuilds.

Incredible bargain
Not sure what your point is but I wish you well.

Happy 4th all. I'm headed to a BBQ.
Jim

Quick Reply: Many of you think rebuild 996 engines from Porsche donīt blow, wrong