Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Played Cat and Mouse with an Audi R8 today!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:51 AM
bpoteat
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Cool! I didn't realize that it had been released over here yet.
It hasn't. It was probably a magazine writer. I believe they are the only ones who have gotten loaners yet, for reviewing.
Old 07-03-2007, 11:54 AM
Sharptt
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't wait to get my hands on an R8. I've asked my dealer to bump me down the list a bit since I do not want to get the first model year and instead will shoot for MY09. I've learned the hard way that it is nice to be the first one on the block with a new model, but I'd rather have someone else deal with the kinks.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:08 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. C4
Porsche buy Audi?! As far as I know they are all part of the same group as Lambo, VW, Skoda, Seat etc. etc.
Audi is owned by Volkswagen. Porsche now, I believe, has a controlling interest in Volkswagen. So it's basically already happened.

Some journos speculated that when Porsche got controlling interest, they'd kill the R8 because that car broke the gentleman's agreement they had not to mount a direct competitor to the 911. If the R8 gets its volume from elsewhere, I think they'll keep it in the line. If it cannibalizes 911 sales, don't be shocked if it has a short life.

As for the car, it looks great on paper. But it's just so focus-group slick and modern looking, it's hard to love, IMHO. And it seems like a lot of money to pay for 2/10ths of a second to 100kph.
Old 07-03-2007, 01:50 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard in a reliable european motoring magazine that Eddie Griffin was running it in its first inaugural race at the end of this year. (sorry, had too)
Old 07-03-2007, 03:16 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Taking it easy to 130 mph?

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Looks like I started a good one here.....anyhow, yes...there is no way to tell how hard he was accelerating....but again, no issue keeping up, so I would imagine he was "taking it easy", but so was I. I wasn't redlining or anything...just very hard accleration. I used "cat and mouse" as a term of endearment....

Not sure how many of these cars will be produced, but it definitely has the appearance of an exotic, no doubt on that. I can assure you all of that. This does not have the look of those pontiac or saturn roadster cars....this kinda has the same appearance as a super exotic. Very low.

J
Old 07-03-2007, 03:22 PM
Raty
Advanced

This car is beautiful in person, I was dying to get one when I saw it.
That price in this demon is 100K plus the overprice you are willing to pay... *Cough* 40-50k... They are stocked out everywhere and coming in very slowly and in small quantities. Having had a TT (Audi) I love this car; and it was the first time I felt violated by a seat... you cant imagine how much of a "hug like experience" the seat of this beast has.
Old 07-03-2007, 03:28 PM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

I'm not really interested in Road Course numbers because there are so many variations in play. While I assume riding around the track is fun to you guys, I can't really get into the excitement since most of the track references on this board are not head to head.

I prefer to hear what actually happened on the HWY, head to head.

Originally Posted by JimB
I don't have the magazine in front of me but I read the Car & Driver article on the plane yesterday and as I recall the R8 was about a second faster than the 997 turbo. The Exige S was a second faster than the R8. The 997 GT3 was three seconds faster than the Exige and the X06 was another three seconds faster than the GT3. The Z06 ran the fastest lap yet of the cars C&D have tested.

If you haven't checked out C&D's new testing methods at VIR you should. I'm going to subscribe to the magazine again after many years without looking at it. VIR is a great track to measure real world fast. Much much better than the 0-60 and braking tests that everyone does now.
Jim

p.s. no the 996 is not faster than the R8. I'm sure it would be severl seconds slower.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:56 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Very interesting with the porsche influence on the company. I dont think they have the supercar experience to have a substantial negative impact on porsche's bottom line.....
Old 07-03-2007, 05:14 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by bpoteat
It hasn't. It was probably a magazine writer. I believe they are the only ones who have gotten loaners yet, for reviewing.

Ahh, that makes more sense. I knew that as of May it wasn't over here and I hadn't heard of a release date.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:20 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Who knows.....maybe in the next Car and Driver...the reviewer will have a little story about how it's main competitor tailed him on the thruway for a while for a spirited and respectful jaunt....you heard it here first.

J
Old 07-05-2007, 12:21 PM
Raty
Advanced

Hah! maybe Audi will say: "Unfortunately we will have to end the production of the R8, since we got stalked by a Porsche owner who was afraid of his car depreciating in value; we feared for our lifes...."
Old 07-09-2007, 11:53 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

I found this video of an Audi R8 hillclimb - holy cow - listen to that engine!

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=395173&fr=yvmtf

Nice driving also!
Old 07-09-2007, 11:59 PM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

he was toying with you. If he wanted to, he would have left you standing still.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 AM
RaceCarDriver
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw a silver one parked outside my gym about a month ago in Bergen County New Jersey (maybe it was the same car)

They also had one as a pace car (dark grey) at Lime Rock this weekend for the ALMS race.

Beautiful car!!!
Old 07-10-2007, 01:58 AM
Raty
Advanced

Wellardmac, that video is not the R8, its the LeMans Audi Supercar (Called commonly R8)

Quick Reply: Played Cat and Mouse with an Audi R8 today!!!