Sponsored by:

1999 C4 Front Control Arm Replacement Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2007, 03:02 AM
Woodenewe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 C4 Front Control Arm Replacement Questions

My 1999 C4 with 83Kmiles develops a creaking noise in the left front suspension/wheel area after the car has been driven enough for it to be well warmed up. I took it to a reputable independent shop and they showed me where the noise was coming from; the left front lower control arm. Applying leverage with a pry bar made the sound and the mechanic reported seeing the assembly move when loaded. The right arm was tight and quiet. They recommended remove and replace both left and right arms, and then do a re-alignment. Parts were listed at $300 each side, labor at $210 for remove and replace, plus $210 for re-alignment. Further I was advise to have it sooner than never, but the wheel was unlikely to fall off the car.

My questions to you all are:
• Is removing and replacing the arms a D.I.Y. task (I am not considering doing the alignment)?
• Are special tools required?
• The car has been lowered and recent alignment adjustments were at the limits, but still not perfect (0.2 degrees L/R camber differences cause a slight pull to the right). Apparently there are replacement aftermarket arms that are for lowered cars; would they likely allow “perfect” alignment and should I be considering using them instead of stock replacements?
• Are there other components in the front suspension that should be further inspected for possible / prudent replacement now?
• Are the costs listed above reasonable?

Thank you for your responses.
-Bob
Old 07-02-2007, 08:29 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Bob - sorry, but I can't help you with your suspension issues 'cuz that is out of my area of expertise. I am sure that others who are more knowledgeable than I am will chime in here.

Nice looking car though. Got any other pics you can share with us? Good luck with your repairs.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:33 AM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i replaced my front-lower control arm last year.
if you call sunset porsche, i think the price is about $150; and labor i was charged was 1 hour.

i have inperfect alignment too, so i was thinking about getting the one with adjustments(GT3 style?) but i never did.

Factory Porsche Parts, Tequipment and Selection (Boutique)
All at Dealer Cost Plus 15% Handling and Shipping Cost -- No Sales Tax!

Phone: 1-800-346-0182 Email: porscheatcost@sunsetimports.com
Old 07-04-2007, 12:51 AM
Woodenewe
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks "pl" for the lead to Sunset Porsche. The helpful fellow at Sunset quoted me $280.34 for the left front lower control arm assemble, which is very close to the quote I got locally. Perhaps your expereience was for a different part? Although they are named the same, I can not quite understand the price difference. OBTW the adjustable unit that works with lowered cars costs $587.68 each. Guess I'll take the 0.20 degree out of alignment. Maybe a rat tail file would help?
Thanks again,
Bob

Quick Reply: 1999 C4 Front Control Arm Replacement Questions