Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Rear spacers before and after on C4S - Opinions.. (PIX!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 01:58 AM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear spacers before and after on C4S - Opinions.. (PIX!)

Attached are the before and after photos with the H&R
14mm rear spacers on my C4S. I have to say I like the look but
somehow to me it seems that they madde a bigger impact on
my Boxster. What do you think.?

Before C4S

After C4S

Overall C4S

Boxster

Overall Boxster
Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Bigger impact cause the 986 is quite a bit lower.
Appears you have OE ride height on the C4.....and no rake.......I'd definately drop it.
Nice cars otherwise though !
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Greg, excuse my ignorance, what is rake? ( I will guess..The height of the front vs. the back?) I could see the front 3/4" lower. how can this be acheived? Can I do front only. I like how the rear sits but I have noticed the front looks a little high.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Raty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice cars, that wheel gap is killing you in the C4S though, ever thought of lowering it?
Old 06-28-2007, 01:43 PM
Raty
Advanced

Oh, and I like how spacers look, how is the ride after them? I heard it can get somewhat shaky with spacers.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:48 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if you lowered and used spacers, that's when you'd realize the biggest visual impact. The car doesn't really need spacers at stock height. It's only when that camber changes due to lowering where a spacer really helps to push the inset wheels out a bit. That wheel gap on your C4S looks insane, almost 4x4, bud!

Spacers should be avoided at all costs, IMO. It's a stop-gap piece that makes up for ill-fitting wheels.

And rake is not great unless you're into the dragster look.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Henry III - AZ
Greg, excuse my ignorance, what is rake? ( I will guess..The height of the front vs. the back?) I could see the front 3/4" lower. how can this be acheived? Can I do front only. I like how the rear sits but I have noticed the front looks a little high.
Yep......rake is general profile....ie the result of rear height and front height.
Most think it's basicaly cosmetic.....but it can have some effect on handling, at least on the track. Porsche supplies front and rear height ranges for all models, US Turbo, ROW, X73, GT3, GT2, etc.
As example, GT3 is pretty darn low and the I think the front to rear differential is around 13mm.
Only way you can set all height just where you want it (along with rake & corner balance) is with adjustable suspension.

So..........this is one of several arguments against just using springs to lower your car. Personally, I think there are some cases where 'just springs' may be adequate........and if they are designed correctly for your specific model (C4 vs Cab, vs C4s, etc) then the manufaturer probably took the resulting rake into account and hopefully the car will sit where you want her.
If you don't like where she sits.....you're basically done.
With adjustable set-up you can go up & down to your hearts content.....you can stick to Porsche height & rake....... or modify, correct, etc.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:10 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Alot of comments about my ride height. Now I have a complex. This is stock, it's just how it comes, right?
Old 06-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Raty
Advanced

Cheapest way, springs. But you dont want to just change the front ones and leave the ones in the back stock, since you will have different "roughness" in the fron and in the back.
Old 06-28-2007, 02:14 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you just let your car down before the pix??? Gap looks larger than stock...I think. Perhaps the car needs to settle after being lifted?

J
Old 06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by John Henry III - AZ
Alot of comments about my ride height. Now I have a complex. This is stock, it's just how it comes, right?
John........don't listen to anyone.

Your's is the only opin that matters.
Some people are **** on ride height and have suspension parts waiting at the shop when they take delivery........that's their thing.
US DOT mandates PCNAs ride heights.........a car bound for the U.S. is different than Euro and others. DOT is hung-up on both low-speed crash test specs as well as headlight beam angle...........Porsche 'solves' these problems (of dealing with our federal government) by cranking the suspension up in the air.

Write your congressman.............what a joke that is.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:07 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by GreggT
John........don't listen to anyone.

Your's is the only opin that matters.
Some people are **** on ride height and have suspension parts waiting at the shop when they take delivery........that's their thing.
US DOT mandates PCNAs ride heights.........a car bound for the U.S. is different than Euro and others. DOT is hung-up on both low-speed crash test specs as well as headlight beam angle...........Porsche 'solves' these problems (of dealing with our federal government) by cranking the suspension up in the air.

Write your congressman.............what a joke that is.
Yea and all that sux, but this dude's C4S front gap looks way beyond stock height. that's excessive... unless somehow is garage isn't all that level or it's jacked up someplace... that's an abnormal amount of gap for a stock c4s or any 911 for that matter.

here's my Ben Choi ride height just for comparison (PSS9)

Not posting it to boast or anything i couldn't care less.. just showing you how I like it. it looks even better in motion. wide and aggressive due to aero and lowering and wheels.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:40 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

For what it's worth.........OE USA ride height is 158 (plus/minus 10mm) in both the rear and front.
Here's 2 pics just off the showroom floor before being dropped off at the shop (where all the suspension parts were ).

Old 06-28-2007, 04:51 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

gregg yours looks perfectly normal
Old 06-28-2007, 05:21 PM
John Henry III - AZ
Racer

Actually, I did have it up on jackstands for three days while the wheels were off getting repaired. I do believe I just let it down before taking that pic. It never crossed my mind. That could explain some if it. I am going to check it again when I het home. I feel somewhat better now

Quick Reply: Rear spacers before and after on C4S - Opinions.. (PIX!)