Sponsored by:

Denied warranty claim

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:36 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
My region PCA encourages people to take their cars to DEs and AutoX events.. actually our local Porsche dealer brings Brand new cars to these events to show and capture new buyers... so my question is how can they void warranty if they encourage people to do these events?..there is a big diference between "racing the car" and doing a couple of DEs or AutoXs a year.. they shouldn't deny warranty unless the car was obviously abused....
PCA (the organization) is a completely separate entity than PCNA (the company) or Porsche AG. So legally speaking Porsche (the company, or at least their legal dept.) could care less what PCA encourages you to do.
Old 06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
rroobbcc
Racer

Originally Posted by HHPorscheTech
Keep in mind some of the piddly crap that happens to the car is usually not related to tracking the vehicles. That being said, transmission damage, engine damage, ANY over revs in the upper ranges...Porsche will deny the warranty claim. Burden of proof is shown enough in the condition of the part in question. If the dealership covers, lets say, a transmission rebuild or replace under warranty.. we have essentially paid for your repair until repair information is submitted and approved. So, in the transmission, if we work on it and you are a gear grinder, we return the warranty parts and Porsche determines that Johnny racecar driver isn't shifting properly...then we get stuck with the bill...and money is lost, and thus begins the trickle down of why we covered something under warranty that was clearly unrelated. If you dealer is being an a-hole because you went racing and now your sunroof doesn't work, then it is time to find a new dealer...
Also, don't count out dealership personnel for working on your car when out of warranty. I have fixed plenty of mom and pops repairs because they are not as knowledgeable as some factory trained personnel. The best thing to do with something like that is meet the tech working on the car ask him/her some questions and be your own judge....
Hmmm... I wonder if this is why so many Porsche dealers offer "free" tech inspection before you participate in any track event. It allows them to establish a record of which of their customers track or auto-x their cars, and approximately when the track days take place. I think I am going to start going to an independent for all tech inspections.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:12 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

JC3D,
I don't want to go into the details of my buddy's problem on this public forum as the issue is still unresolved. I'll just say "you're warm". I sent you an e-mail with details.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have now posted this in every forum here - but you still haven't answered my question -- "And the warranty claim was for what problem?".

For instance - If the car was overreved while to spun the car on the track and there are stage 2 overrevs recorded -- then I think the dealer has a right to deny a warranty claim.
On the other hand if his radio just crapped out then that could not be related.
See my point? without the problem that the caused the denied warranty - no one can answer this question.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:30 AM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Loren,
The claim is related to a failed 2nd gear synchro that "crunches" when the car is cold. The problem goes away when the car reaches operating temps.

The dealer concluded that the car had been tracked based on the mods (6 pt harness, etc.) and denied the claim. My buddy is trying to decide his best course of action.... go to another dealer that's known for being friendly to owners who track their cars of taking the issue up with PCNA.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

I converted my 996 into a race car while it was still under warrantee. I brought it to the dealer in a race trailer with full cage, racing seats, race suspension, numbers, club racing decals, etc. because the coolant reservoir was leaking. They fixed it under warrantee with no questions. A couple weeks later I had a wheel bearing fail so I figured I'd give it a try. I got a quick no and we all had a good laugh.

I really don’t think it’s reasonable to expect Porsche to pay for damage caused by the increased stress of track driving such as wheel bearings, bent suspension parts, fried clutches, tweaked engines, busted transmissions, etc. etc. And please don’t say they should be built to take it because not even purpose built race cars are immune to the wear and tear of track life. If you have a problem created by track wear or by a mistake like a missed shift I think you should expect to pay for the fix yourself.

Regarding insurance, I tell new DEers and students that you shouldn't put your car on the track unless you can emotionally and financially walk away from it. If you wad your car up at the track and your insurance company covers it, great but you shouldn't count on it.

Just my thoughts.
Jim
Old 06-28-2007, 11:33 AM
JimB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Loren,
The claim is related to a failed 2nd synchro that "crunches" when the car is cold. The dealer concluded that the car had been tracked based on the mods (6 pt harness, etc.) and denied the claim. My buddy is trying to decide his best course of action.... go to another dealer that's known for being friendly to owners who track their cars of taking the issue up with PCNA.
I think it's silly to think Porsche should pay for a synchro on a car that's clearly been tracked. That is an obvious track mistake problem.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:40 AM
JC3D
Pro

I think you need to send your buddy to my shop here in venice if he lives locally.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JC3D
I found a better mechanic that is a few blocks away and has taken care of me ever since, no I see no point of going to a dealership.
What mechanic are you using over there? Otto? I've been looking for a good independant mechanic and haven't found one I'm happy with yet.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:57 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

this VERY same problem has been discussed in depth in 996 Turbo forum.

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
Loren,
The claim is related to a failed 2nd gear synchro that "crunches" when the car is cold. The problem goes away when the car reaches operating temps.

The dealer concluded that the car had been tracked based on the mods (6 pt harness, etc.) and denied the claim. My buddy is trying to decide his best course of action.... go to another dealer that's known for being friendly to owners who track their cars of taking the issue up with PCNA.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:13 PM
Raty
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hah... this is some BS... how they expect not to track the cars, if that is what they were made for? They advertise everywhere, part street, part track. Who can understand them? If they dont want us to track them, dont make them so trackable!!!!

Guys, if anyone need a good and extremely (and I mean it) cheap mechanic in FL, Miami, contact me, you will save millions....
Example: did the whole engine for a friend for 4500.....

You cant trust warranties....
Old 06-28-2007, 01:47 PM
MikeRosen
Instructor

I really don’t think it’s reasonable to expect Porsche to pay for damage caused by the increased stress of track driving such as wheel bearings, bent suspension parts, fried clutches, tweaked engines, busted transmissions, etc. etc. And please don’t say they should be built to take it because not even purpose built race cars are immune to the wear and tear of track life. If you have a problem created by track wear or by a mistake like a missed shift I think you should expect to pay for the fix yourself.
Bingo! The only thing I would add is that a claim could be denied due to abuse or misuse whether it occurred on the track or not. Although this is not the case here, if someone came in with trashed synchros 2 months after buying a car it would not matter whether the car was tracked or not. It would be great if the dealer fixed it under warranty, but I could understand them denying the claim as well.

Warranties are not designed to cover normal wear and tear, abuse, or misuse no matter where it occurs. I'm not saying track use is abuse or misuse. Wear and tear can be accelerated by track use. Abuse or misuse can happen on or off the track.
Old 06-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Raty
Advanced

Very true
Old 06-28-2007, 02:58 PM
JC3D
Pro

Yeah, I go to Otto, Been working on my car since I bought it and my instructor every time I go to Willow.
His number there is 888.901.6886, tell him John sent you down there.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Greg D.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 139 Posts

My dealer offers free pre-track inspections ;-) Go figure... I think you can make a case that it's a porsche and it's made for such things. Of course it has to be a valid claim, not a wear and tear item that gets worn out fast on track !

Quick Reply: Denied warranty claim