Sponsored by:

1999 996 For Sale $29,900. New Engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 07:02 PM
996 Cop
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 996 For Sale $29,900. New Engine

Car is very clean inside and out, even the driver and passenger seats look like new. Hood does not have any rock chips and paint is original. This car had a factory engine replacement a year and a half ago, so there is still a Porsche warranty for another 6 months. There was approx. 77000 miles on the car when the engine began to show signs of coolant in the oil. This car was a Certified Porsche car that had an extended warranty until 2005. The problem occurred right after the end of the warranty unfortunately. Porsche had said that a small amount of cars had engine failures and usually occurred early and at low mileage. The prior owner paid over $12000. out of pocket for a complete new crate engine from Germany which comes complete with fuel injection system and all external parts such as A/C compressor, alternator, etc.. It is what some refer to as "plug and go". Everything that came with it is covered by their warranty. The warranty transfers with the car as long as you have receipts, which I have. I had this verified by Porsche USA. (1-800-POR-SCHE)

I have the Porsche maintenance book with dealer service stamps from 1999 until 6/04 and also have the hard copies of service records from 03 to present including the recent Porsche 40 point inspection that I had done recently by Porsche dealer in San Antonio. Also have the printouts of all records to date from Porsche from the time the car was delivered to Porsche Center San Antonio in late 1998.

99% of the service was done at the Porsche Dealers in Austin or San Antonio and most of the records were just routine service such as oil changes, brakes, etc.. The car currently has 84K on odometer so there is approx. 8K on the new engine. The warranty is good all the way up to the end of December 2007.

Car has always been babied and is in a climate controlled garage. The body is near perfect with only a couple of very small blemishes that were too small even to show up in photographs. Porsche dealer said front bumper was repainted due to minor flaws. Interior is also near perfect. Tires are brand new Michelin Pilot's N2 ($1000. for the set)and are Z rated (they are specially designed for Porsche) and they make the car handle better than anything I have ever owned especially with the assistance of the Traction Control/Limited Slip Rear. They work very well together.

Transmission is very smooth and clutch operates perfectly. I currently have an Alpine CD player installed and will include the factory Porsche CD Player and OEM Porsche Six CD Changer. The power sunroof, air conditioning (very cold), power windows, cruise control and everything else on the car work perfect. Mobil 1 synthetic oil used as Porsche specifies.

Have a clear Texas title. I spent a lot of time and money looking for a clean 911 with service records and original paint. Had several others inspected and did not meet the grade due to prior collision damage or mechanical issues. Many were oil leakers. This car does not leak a drop of anything. The performance of this car is outstanding. I was told by Porsche that the replacement engine is the 2005 version of the 3.4 and you won't ever have any of the problems that some of the originals had. The front brakes and rotors were recently replaced and it stops very quickly and in a straight line.

You can drive this car as a daily driver w/o being let down. Very Reliable. I had other 911's from the early to late 1980's and things like air conditioning were almost useless. The 1999 Carrera 2 was refined and the difference between the older 911's and the 996 is amazing. They are also lower maintenance (no valve adjusting) than the earlier models.

Don't buy from someone who will not let you have a car thoroughly inspected. I will take the car to any mechanic or body shop in either San Antonio or Austin or you can send them to my home. I would recommend one of the Porsche Dealers and they will due a thorough inspection for approx. $125. I am not a dealer, just a police officer that enjoys sports cars. I am selling the car and using the money for down payment on a second home.

I can also email detailed photos of anything on the car. You can contact me (Tom) by telephone at 325-247-2479 after 3pm Central Time. I am currently on the night shift and sleep until 3pm. You can email me for more photos at: jam22960@aol.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRAi6DLenZA This is a really good video of a test drive by RS Magazine of a 1999 Porsche 996 which they filmed in my area.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:53 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

Wow, I wish $29,900 was enough for a down payment on a home in my area. More like $129,900 in California.

Good luck with the sale. Bump
Old 06-26-2007, 02:06 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

GL with the sale...thanks for sharing the vid too, it was informative for me since I now own one.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:46 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is that your "white and blue daily driver (crown victory)" in the background?
Old 06-26-2007, 05:20 PM
carlo$
Instructor

what does the warranty cover?

where in the hill country are you located?
Old 06-26-2007, 06:01 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

GL with your sale.....
Old 06-26-2007, 08:09 PM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by UCrazyKid
Wow, I wish $29,900 was enough for a down payment on a home in my area. More like $129,900 in California.

Good luck with the sale. Bump
I can get a house for about $70K and put about $30k in it and sell for around $140k. After taxes and realtor fees there is a little profit. Helps pay the bills and is fun sometimes.
Make an extra $20-40k each year depending how the market is. We are selling to a lot of Californians here in the Hill Country of Texas.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 PM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by pl
is that your "white and blue daily driver (crown victory)" in the background?
It is a new 2007, got it a couple of weeks ago. Have not had any pursuits with it yet, but went to a call several miles out of town and it ran fine at 120 until I came around a gradual curve. The wind hit the light bar and made the car unstable. Straight line high speed only! I bet it would probably do 130 like the older one I had.
Old 06-26-2007, 08:17 PM
996 Cop
Advanced

Originally Posted by carlo$
what does the warranty cover?

where in the hill country are you located?
The engine and all components that came with it: A/C Compressor, Alternator, Fuel Injection System, etc..

Live in Llano, 70 miles west of Austin on SH71.

Quick Reply: 1999 996 For Sale $29,900. New Engine