Strange Electrical Happenings, then a Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 02:03 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
That's all right, Tim, I did laugh, Thanks! It's been bugging me for 2 days now,
Last night in bed, and when I woke up this morning in bed, Just wishing there was an "UNDO" button in real life.
Still can't believe I did that ****! Me of all people, always cautious and all.

Can't see much detail in these pics.
Doesn't look that bad in the pics, but I think it IS actually quite bad when it comes to restoring the damage to perfection.
It's a good thing though that the gaps around the door are all good and intact,
except the 12in or so along the top edge by the handle. Hinges must be pretty sturdy.

It really sucks just to think that they would have to remove the inside door leather panel,
and maybe the electronics, airbag, etc. I do not believe it will be reinstalled correctly, and I'd probably get rattles and creaks and visible gaps on the trim. And the thought of spray dust all over the interior!
Can't help it, my last paintjob in another car, was a nightmare.

My deductible for my insurance is $500. I'm thinking if I should make a claim, this would be my first claim ever!
Would anyone know how much it will affect my premium next renewal?
Is it worth making a claim? I'm now paying about $945 for 3 vehicles for 6 months (the Porsche alone is only $394).
Oh, double ****! WOW, that looks worse than I imagined it would be. Hell, if I lived close to you I would come over and slap you then I would KICK you!

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but I don't think you are going to be able to buff that one out!

I'm not sure about the insurance claim. Maybe others can chime in on that part. Sorry to see this happen.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:09 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A bit of plastic putty and a can of spray paint and it'll all be good......

Did that sound reassuring?

Cause I just re-read it, and I don't think it sounds credible on a 2nd pass...
Old 06-22-2007, 08:30 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got an estimate today from a "highly recommended" bodyshop.
They don't have to replace the door, they can knock it out and use minimal putty, and guarantee everything to look as good as new. $775 and car will be in the shop for 3-4 days.

I have a slight ding on the other side's rear wheel arch, with a hairline crack in the paint, so they can't do the Paintless dent removal there. They'll take care of that spot as well, for a total of $1000.

Not too bad for a stupid mistake, huh!?
I'll post results and pics after the job.

Last edited by CosmosC4S; 06-23-2007 at 12:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2007, 09:03 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

damn... what a week its been for you... but yeah, you need a slap upside the head
Old 06-22-2007, 11:55 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
I got an estimate today from a "highly recommended" bodyshop.
They don't have to replace the door, they can knock it out and use minimal putty, and guarantee everything to look as good as new. $775 and car will be in the shop for 3-4 days.

I have a slight ding on the other side's rear wheel arch, with a hairline crack in the paint, so they can't do the Paintless dent removal there. They'll take care of that spot for a total of $1000.

Not too bad for a stupid mistake, huh!?
I'll post results and pics after the job.
Ouch... OUCH! If I lived near you, instead of slapping you, I would take you out for a couple of beverages of your choice and maybe a lap dance or three!

That sucks... BIG time!
Old 07-08-2007, 05:47 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Well, picked the car up on Friday, it was raining and I couldn't do a good assessment at the time.
Washed it inside out, adjusted the windows, readjusted the weather trimmings, and reinstalled the door panel.
Took me a whole 6 hours, finished at midnight, all in the comfort of my sauna-temp garage!

Overall, I'm disappointed with the work from the bodyshop. Actually I never expected it to be perfect.
I don't think any bodyshop, very few if any, would be able to do perfect jobs.

Anyway...paintjob was good, the repair and paint on the little dent with the hairline paint crack
on my passenger side rear wheel arch was perfectly done.

The driver's side wing mirror was perfectly done, and with perfect masking. Easy one anyway.

The door damage on the inside panel was repaired beautifully. I have to give them credit for that.
I scrutinized the inside of the door and couldn't see any evidence of work done!?
I mean the metal was crumpled...how the hell did they straightened the panel, without splashing a whole lot of putty?
The curves and lines were all restored to original, amazing there.

The worst part is the top edge of the door is "very slightly" too high, against the rear body (quarter panel).
Meaning it is not perfectly flush, although the gap is fine.
So if you look at it from the side, you probably can't see the flaw.
But look at it from the front of rear, and you can see the slight flaw.
That is the only part that I'm not too happy about, but I'm trying very hard to ignore and to accept it.
Not easy, I keep finding myself checking on it everytime I get near the car!
Perhaps it's just my **** self, 90% of people won't even notice it unless I point it out to them.

Reinstallation of parts and weather trimmings SUCKS!!!
The rubber trimming on my wing mirror was not right, trim was pinched at one point.
Weather strip on the outside of the door against the window, was "wrinkled"
probably from the removal process, or they left it coiled or bent for days?
This is my least concern as I can always replace the piece of rubber trim later if it doesn't straighten out with time.
Rubber trimming on the inside of the door was not aligned right either.

Had to realign the windows, somehow they went a little off-line.

I am just so glad I had decided to remove the door panel myself! Best decision ever! :Yes:
Also, good thing I coverd my whole interior (even the dashboard) with bedsheets, except the driver's seat.
There was not a speck of overspray inside...thank goodness for that, otherwise I don't know how to clean leather with solvents without messing it up.

The door catch was not adjusted, eventhough the door has to be "slammed" with a little more effort than usual for it to catch.
I tried to do it myself, by didn't have the correct torx key for the screws on the door jamb. Will need to get a set of those.

So that concludes the ordeal I had to go thru'...all just from a second of carelessness.
Old 07-08-2007, 07:16 PM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

Cos - good to hear you got the car back! Can they re-align the door so it lines up horizontally? Maybe you could take it back to see if they can do that. It sounds like overall, they did a pretty good job.

OK, I guess you knew this was coming.... how about posting some pics of the repaired door?
Old 07-08-2007, 07:29 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Tim, yes, I will take some shots of the door but probably won't show much from the pics.

The door is aligned well, I think the door never was misaligned in the first place, the gaps are perfect all around. It's just the very top edge 2 o'clock of the door handle, that is a little higher than the quarter panel. It should be flushed and even.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:39 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Here are some pics of the repaired door:

BEFORE Pic posted previously:

Old 07-09-2007, 08:06 AM
gota911
Lifetime Rennlist

They did an awesome job on the repair of the inside of the door edge. Now I can see what you re talking about in the 3rd pic. Maybe then can still do some minor adjusting to help minimize the disparity in the panel alignment. Thanks for the pics. That helped a bunch.

Quick Reply: Strange Electrical Happenings, then a Dead Battery