Sponsored by:

these cars are amazing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2007, 09:23 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
Your seatbelt would make a difference. If you had a blow-out or had to swerve and lost it and rolled, you wouldn't get thrown from the car and would at least have a chance.

I went 150mph+ last year, because I wanted to cross that magical barrier, but I did it on a completely empty road by myself .....I knew that if I crashed, I would only hurt myself and took that risk on my own.
Sorry. I don't think there is a chance at 170 miles per hour. Seat belt, no seat belt, you're toast. The advantage to the seat belt is that below a point (say 100 mph??) it WOULD make a difference, and he was there as he sped up and again as he slowed down. My comment was meant to be sarcastic, and I don't know which smiley says that.

As for doing anything on a public road, at 150 mph you're traveling 2.5 miles each minute. No way you can say you were on a "completely empty road". It may been empty to your sight lines. But at those speeds your sight lines ain't really worth a lot.

I don't mean to seem so judgmental, but these are PUBLIC safety issues. These types of actions have ramifications for people and property besides the perpetrator. I was in a near head-on accident (car totalled, but my evasion minimized any injuries. It was the real thing) last month because an impaired driver came around a bend in my lane. She might have had a mental condition, and that's life. But if it was drugs or alcohol I'd have been another "damn her for being so irresponsible" tragic and unnecessary statistic....

Last edited by gary mermel; 06-17-2007 at 12:01 AM. Reason: spelling error.
Old 06-16-2007, 09:30 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
I don't think we were applauding you at all in this thread. Driving that speed on a highway is moronic at any time of day.

At night you cannot see what is about to jump out into your path (think animal, or any other slow moving obsticle). In hitting an unseen hazard you would have killed yourself and anyone else in the path of your out of control car.

Sure, you may have no respect for your life, but I care more about the other people that might be on the road at the same time as you. If you want to drive those speeds go to the track.

If you don't think that speed kills in the hands of people like you I'll refer you to the case of Nikki Catouras - 18 years old when she died. Silly girl.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/alton.asp

Google her name and you'll see the photos that show the mess she made of herself when her daddy's Carrera went out of control in her inexperienced hands. You're 17 years old and do not have the seat time to have good judgement. If you live long enough you might gain some, but I think that you should start working on getting some common sense first.

It's plain and simple, a car is a weapon and it can kill. Your life is expendible, as you've achieved nothing with it yet. In the scheme of things you're a nobody - a blank page waiting to be written. You can chose to continue to be a stupid nobody, or you can chose to contribute to society with something good. I'd prefer that you don't kill others that might have done more for those around them than yourself.
I saw these same pictures of Nikki in February which included the ones of what was left of her, what a mess and a waste.

OK I will admit I have been at speeds in excess of 165 mph a few times on the motorways, but it has been in a car that I owned for several years and so I knew it inside and out, it also had a lot of safety pieces added (full roll cage, racing seats, 5-way harness, etc., etc.). But anything can happen on public roads so it is not adviseable no matter what you have or how old you are, but at 17 it is definately the wrong thing to do. Like other said before, go to the track (which I noticed you will be doing - that is good).

Also I am not applauding you for doing it, and you did the wrong thing by posting a video of it. Keep that video for private viewing only or else it could get you in a lot of trouble. If you needed the video to prove that you went that fast you didn't, you know these P cars can do it, so if you told us we would believe you (you still would get some verbal bashing though). If you owned a Pontiac Aztec and told us you went 174 then we would want to see proof (this time you would definately get verbally abused but we would hve been amazed).

So grow-up, get to the track and live life to the fullist. Don't let your friends lead you to believe this is fun as it is not!

All this coming from "The Speed Demon"
Old 06-17-2007, 01:24 AM
Oscypek
Instructor

trust me i don't think im im untouchable or a god at driving or anything like that... this is why i want to find an instructer and have some fun and learn the limits of my car in a safe place ( i also know that even though ill be on a track there is still a risk but at least its extremly on the minimal)..... and yes i don't plan on doing something like that anytime soon i just need to try it and it also boosted my confidence in the car since i thought that it most likely wasn't what it used to be but now i see that i was wrong. i was actully looking to get rid of it once i cleaned it up a bit and get an audi s4 but now i don't even want to look at the audi.... i wasn't trying to show off what the car can do, that wasn't my intention, i just need to know my car was still what it was ment to be..
Old 06-17-2007, 01:56 AM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Oscypek
trust me i don't think im im untouchable or a god at driving or anything like that... this is why i want to find an instructer and have some fun and learn the limits of my car in a safe place ( i also know that even though ill be on a track there is still a risk but at least its extremly on the minimal)..... and yes i don't plan on doing something like that anytime soon i just need to try it and it also boosted my confidence in the car since i thought that it most likely wasn't what it used to be but now i see that i was wrong. i was actully looking to get rid of it once i cleaned it up a bit and get an audi s4 but now i don't even want to look at the audi.... i wasn't trying to show off what the car can do, that wasn't my intention, i just need to know my car was still what it was ment to be..
Fair enough...lesson learned, OK.
Old 06-17-2007, 11:18 PM
42empress
Racer

speed demon is right, hope the highway patrol doesn't come after you...lesson learned
Old 06-17-2007, 11:20 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Good for you for top ending your car - I'm looking for an opportunity to do the same.

You pretty much have to do this on the public roads because there are precious few, if any, tracks which have straight stretches long enough. I never understod it when people say you shoud take your car to the track to see how fast it goes....where do you live, LeMans? Plus which I think the track marshall would kick you off if you went 175 mph in a stock car on street tires.

Now about that seatbelt story - "I knew it wouldn't help so I didn't put it on." Yeah - sorry chuck: u R stoopid...probably not the kind of guy who should be driving 175. No sense. But whatever, it's your life. I dare you to do it with bare feet...or maybe with a blindfold on - that would make a cool video!
Old 06-18-2007, 11:32 AM
jury_ca
Pro

I'm not all that much older than you, and all I can say is that you obviously lack the emotional maturity to perceive risk. The top speed run isn't all that dangerous, but the fact that you drive around without a seat belt, and obviously rather aggressively makes you rather stupid.

Prime reason why kids shouldn't be given high powered cars.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:41 AM
FotoVeloce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jury_ca
... the fact that you drive around without a seat belt, and obviously rather aggressively makes you rather stupid.
Having had the misfortune to be involved in a number of nasty crashes (only once at my own hand) I put on a seat belt to move my car out of the garage. Not wearing one for whatever rationalization does not seem too bright.

I'll admit that I used to push the limits on the highway when I was younger, despite my ignorance of consequence I was lucky to live as long as I have. Knowing what I know now I would not have done those things. I save my speed release for tracks. As many have said.. get some driver's Ed and keep the pedal off the metal until on a closed course.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:48 AM
aeGT3
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Oscypek
Just got back from a little run with my friend. We were just crusing on the highway and i was wondering what my car with 111K miles and a leaky engine was capable of... so we whipped out the camera and had some fun... the thing got to 160 pretty quickly and the it seemed to just jump up to 170 and me finally letting go of the gas pedal at 174mph.... i was so damn impressed that the car with that much milage still had it in it... i have a video and im trying to post it on utube so u can all see... o and don't mind the language its an inside joke between my friend and i because he is half black so im really sorry if i hurt or offended someone with what was said i don't mean it offensivly and im just used to saying to him.... i tried to bleep it out but i have no video editing skills.

Did you try with the headlights off too?
Just curious!!
Old 06-18-2007, 12:51 PM
JBRipps
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Everyone is talking about letting it out on the track....which I have done as well,...so was wondering...and not trying to be a wise guy...but how fast do you get your machines up to when you drive in a spirited mood on the street? Does anyone hit triple digits often on the road? Where I live, if you go slower than 80 on the thruway....it feels like you'll get rear ended...no traffic of course. So quick bursts that hit trips are not so rare for me, but not much over that, and never for extended periods.

j

J
Old 06-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by JBRipps
Everyone is talking about letting it out on the track....which I have done as well,...so was wondering...and not trying to be a wise guy...but how fast do you get your machines up to when you drive in a spirited mood on the street? Does anyone hit triple digits often on the road? Where I live, if you go slower than 80 on the thruway....it feels like you'll get rear ended...no traffic of course. So quick bursts that hit trips are not so rare for me, but not much over that, and never for extended periods.

j

J
Short bursts of speed happen... you get it going on the highway at 120 then slow down... but 170, at night, no seatbelt, passenger, radio playing, and video taping it? Come on.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:23 PM
LiveNupe
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I obey the posted speed limit at all times.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:27 PM
Aerkuld6
Intermediate

I'm fairly sure that every single one of us has had a time when they've done something really stupid in a car at least once and are fortunate enough to still be around. Some will admit to it and other won't, but not everone is so lucky to have the choice. I had some good friends that fit into the latter catagory. Sure, it's a lot of fun at the time even if you knew how wrong or dangerous it was. All eveyone here is trying to do is look out for you with the benefit of their experience and try to avoid you being someone elses memory.
All that I will add is this:
Remember this thread, maybe print it out now and keep it. If you get the chance, look back on it in fifteen years and see how your opinion has changed.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:32 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LiveNupe
I obey the posted speed limit at all times.

We SoCal people have no choice... everyone else drives 10-15mph BELOW the speed limit for no f'in reason.
Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
If I was a Moderator, I would ban any child that posted such ridiculously unsafe videos.
Agreed! Then also ban all smokers or people who post videos about smoking.

Chill ElTorrente, whilst I also don't condone this type of action, jumping straight onto the 'moderator ban' bandwagon is a little too much.

Quick Reply: these cars are amazing