Sponsored by:

Tiptronic programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Tiptronic programming

Is it possible to re-program the triptronic transimission for a more aggressive shift behavior? I realize it has "fuzzy logic" or whatever. but that's not responsive enough. furthermore, the manual mode doesn't hold the designated gear until commanded to shift. i want the thing to hit the rev limiter if necessary. i can determine when it should shift.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
jsaindc
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by waydeki
Is it possible to re-program the triptronic transimission for a more aggressive shift behavior? I realize it has "fuzzy logic" or whatever. but that's not responsive enough. furthermore, the manual mode doesn't hold the designated gear until commanded to shift. i want the thing to hit the rev limiter if necessary. i can determine when it should shift.
My Boxster and 996 both Tips. Had them on the track and autocross. I don't think they are going to do what you want from them. It sound like you want something like the Ferrari F-1 tranny. Our Tiptronics will program to a more agresive setting when you get on it. In M mode it will only hold gear to redline...not the limiter. I am unaware of any reprograming that can be done to overide the shift at redline.
Old 06-12-2007, 04:35 PM
gustalv27
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no hay español
Old 06-12-2007, 05:45 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

in manual mode it does shift right before the limter.
if you rapidly hit the pedal 3 times to the kick down point it will drive slightly more sporty untill you grandma it again
Old 06-13-2007, 12:58 AM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
in manual mode it does shift right before the limter.
if you rapidly hit the pedal 3 times to the kick down point it will drive slightly more sporty untill you grandma it again
so all i have to do is stomp 3 times every time i want the car to kick down? i don't have to scratch my nose, pull my left ear lobe and wink 5 times? no problem, especially at turn 3 at BIR . maybe i should borrow dorothy's red slippers. "i just want to down shift, i just want to down shift, i just want to down shift!"

but seriously, do i do it once to get it into "non-pansy mode" or at each shift attempt?
Old 06-13-2007, 09:10 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

just once
Old 06-13-2007, 02:35 PM
TRWright
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

The touch-shift transmission in my ML430 will bounce off the rev-limiter all day long until you tell it to shift.

The 996 tip is a good automatic-- but I think it could have been a lot better. . .
Old 06-16-2007, 02:34 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

I'm the kind of person who values things based more on their capability rather than on how I'm going to actually use them. If it were financially feasible, I'd drive a GT3. But my wife wants a drop top and the tiptronic. I was fairly satisfied with the Tiptronic when I first got the car. It's less to think about when driving (which helps with a 13 month old boy in the back). But after taking it to a track day, I realized that the tiptronic is perhaps the worst compromise Porsche has ever made, worse than their SUVs. it's utterly incapable of offering a sporting experience. frustration was how i would sum up the experience.

I would never fault anyone for justifying it for their driving preference. but i am totally pissed at myself for falling into this trap. I would liken it to buying LaCrosse boots instead of Red Wings for an occasional pheasant hunt. Both boots will get you thru the field. But eventually, you wish you had spent a little more for the real thing. if that makes any sense. regardless, I want a manual in this kind of car. i'd prefer a 6 speed miata over a tiptronic porsche. ouch. that hurts.
Old 06-16-2007, 11:04 PM
SteveAbrahams
Instructor

I cannot for the life of me recall the author, but there is an PCA instructor from
Canada that actually perfers a Tip for racing. He wrote an artical for Panorama
a couple of years ago on how to drive a Tip for racing. If you search Panorama
archives, I am sure you could find it. Many Porsche owners in our local PCA
region have great success with Tips in autocross and DE events.
Old 06-17-2007, 01:21 AM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 63 Posts

I have a tiptronic and I had my ECU reprogramed with the Revo chip. It's absolutely fantastic. Has better pull in low RPM's and has an extra boost when you hit 3200. With the Evo V flow air induction and Fabspeed headers I was able to achieve 380 HP and 330 on torque on the Dyno. And you can defintely feel the extra torque. If you want to extend the RPM's into the rev limiter you can turn off PSM and drive in sport mode with sport chrono. You can venture more within the redline without an automatic upshift taking place. I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for more performance. An absolute joy to drive my car anywhere.

Jay
Old 06-18-2007, 01:40 PM
lic265
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have a Cayenne that was "hesitating" with moderate acceleration. Read a blurb on Roadfly that stated the car "remembers" how you drive and shifts accordingly. I recently reset the memory, and it seems to be better.
Basically, put the key in the igntion, turn to postion 2, ( don't start engine) , leave like this for 30 seconds, then turn off. Drive hard for 15-20 miles, a few times in a row( I did this with PSM off)
May be voodoo but i think it worked
Old 06-18-2007, 03:16 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
I have a tiptronic and I had my ECU reprogramed with the Revo chip. It's absolutely fantastic. Has better pull in low RPM's and has an extra boost when you hit 3200. With the Evo V flow air induction and Fabspeed headers I was able to achieve 380 HP and 330 on torque on the Dyno. And you can defintely feel the extra torque. If you want to extend the RPM's into the rev limiter you can turn off PSM and drive in sport mode with sport chrono. You can venture more within the redline without an automatic upshift taking place. I love it and would recommend it to anyone looking for more performance. An absolute joy to drive my car anywhere.

Jay
Any links to the companies that carry these mods (revo, evo V, fabspeed)? thanks.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:38 PM
nowata
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SteveAbrahams
I cannot for the life of me recall the author, but there is an PCA instructor from
Canada that actually perfers a Tip for racing. He wrote an artical for Panorama
a couple of years ago on how to drive a Tip for racing. If you search Panorama
archives, I am sure you could find it. Many Porsche owners in our local PCA
region have great success with Tips in autocross and DE events.

i googled the topic and came up with this...

http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Drivi..._at_track_days

Quick Reply: Tiptronic programming