Sponsored by:

Transmission / Second gear

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:06 PM
rch314
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile Transmission / Second gear

To the trusted Porsche brain trust ;-)): I have a 2001 996 Cabriolet with about 22,000 miles. Since I bought the car used last year (with 9,000 miles), every once in a while the gear shift pops out of second gear, but of course, the dealer can't replicate the problem. He says until he can, he can't fix it under warranty (I have an aftermarket warranty from the dealer). Can anyone offer any insight into what this problem might be? It only happens in second gear and occurs if I don't *really* throw it down tight into second.

Thanks!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:15 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Pulling your foot up off the clutch before you're fully in gear?

I've had that happen if the lever isn't all the way in gear and I'm fast off the clutch... If it happens it's usually first thing in the morning when I'm half asleep and haven't driven the car in a few days.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:20 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search under 2nd gear pop in the 996 Turbo forum. I think this is a common problem for their cars.

I have not hear of it happening on ours until you.
Old 06-10-2007, 11:50 PM
Ed Newman
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is a problem with the syncros. A few dollars in parts, but lots of labor. I would recommend you talk to PowerHaus II, they have an rebuild/upgrade kit.

http://www.powerhaus2.com/
Old 06-11-2007, 02:40 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Do a search under 2nd gear pop in the 996 Turbo forum. I think this is a common problem for their cars.

I have not hear of it happening on ours until you.
A friend of mine had it happen on his C2 a few years ago.
Old 06-11-2007, 08:13 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

any manual trans is surseptable to poor driving technique damaging internal parts
Old 06-11-2007, 11:05 AM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Friends had a boxster s with this problem, and it was apparantly not uncommon for that car.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:12 AM
Irksome
Racer

It is happening to me, and I was told by my mechanic that it is not uncommon. And he indicated that it is a failure of the entire tranny, but you see it in second gear first because that is the gear you use most. Since I have a warranty, he recommended driving it until it was reliably reproducible. The official 'fix' for it is to replace the tranny, because Porsche doesn't do tranny rebuilds. My mechanic said that it can be fixed, but the labor cost is so high that it usually makes more sense to replace it. The tranny is around $7200 is my understanding. All of the info I'm presenting here is from an independent (Porsche certified and locally well respected) mechanic, and I've never even seen the inside of a transmission (ie, if I'm wrong, don't shoot me).

Since I'm covered under a warranty, I'm just waiting for it to get bad enough to happen for the service tech at the dealer. It's happened 16 times now in 3 months. Annoyingly, 4 of those have been during autocross runs. It's still not happening enough to have a shot at reproducing it at the dealer, tho. =(
Old 06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Irksome
It is happening to me, and I was told by my mechanic that it is not uncommon. And he indicated that it is a failure of the entire tranny, but you see it in second gear first because that is the gear you use most. Since I have a warranty, he recommended driving it until it was reliably reproducible. The official 'fix' for it is to replace the tranny, because Porsche doesn't do tranny rebuilds. My mechanic said that it can be fixed, but the labor cost is so high that it usually makes more sense to replace it. The tranny is around $7200 is my understanding. All of the info I'm presenting here is from an independent (Porsche certified and locally well respected) mechanic, and I've never even seen the inside of a transmission (ie, if I'm wrong, don't shoot me).

Since I'm covered under a warranty, I'm just waiting for it to get bad enough to happen for the service tech at the dealer. It's happened 16 times now in 3 months. Annoyingly, 4 of those have been during autocross runs. It's still not happening enough to have a shot at reproducing it at the dealer, tho. =(
The TT owners say $3500 or so for a rebuild.
Old 06-11-2007, 11:59 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its not a failure of the whole trans, just that gear set
tt trannies are diffrent, but 3500 for a rebuild is a bargin
Regualr transmission are now rebuildable porsche supplied tools to all the dealers and parts are now available from porsche
Old 06-11-2007, 01:08 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be the 1-2 shift fork is getting worn, so it does not get into gear properly. It also be simple as the shift linkage not properly set.

With worn syncros, 'grinding' gears would be heard and felt.

I should flush my tranny soon to see how much shiny flakes comes out.
Old 06-11-2007, 01:18 PM
jasper
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Irksome
..... Annoyingly, 4 of those have been during autocross runs. =(
Hmmmm - word to the wise:

Those same friends I mentioned were denied a warranty repair because they autocrossed the car. That was a few years ago, and here in Vancouver, Canada the dealership is known for being a dink, but still - you might not want to advertise your AX activities.

On another note, this afforementioned dealership verified that my friends were autocrossing their car by going on line to our culb website where their run tmes had been posted.

yep - that's customer service!

Quick Reply: Transmission / Second gear