Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice SY Aero. Welcome
Old 06-06-2007, 11:45 AM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice car. For a perfect GT3 look you should change the wheels and lower the car a bit.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:18 PM
QueenCityCarrera4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoy! Glad to have another Taco on board!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you everyone for welcoming me to the forum, it is greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to more discussions regarding the 996 now that I am a proud owner of one.

Thanks also for the recommendation for shops, I will do more looking into them once I find my checkbook

OK I paid 35K for the car, was that too much? I checked it out and it is clean in regards to the appearance (inside and out) and history. When I bought it it just had the 30K service done at a Porsche dealer. This price fell into the blue book value and the fact it is Speed Yellow I could not pass it up unless it was in bad shape.

Mods that I have done so far:

- Window Tint all 5 windows (35% sides and 15% rear - ceramic film). Installed by Rocky Mountain Window Tint in Livermore
- Aluminium Gauge Bezels from NR Auto
- Xenon bulbs from BimmerXenon
- 3M Clear Bra

(Ok these are cosmetics but I could not resist being a caraholic)

It already came with the clear side markers etc, so no orange lenses anywhere.

As for the body kit, I found out that this kit was added on just recently and not a factory job, but it, to me, looks factory and I was told the kit was painted off-car then bolted on. Since I am not a auto body guy I cannot confirm any of this, I just love the car.

Yes I drive it as often as I can. But to be honest I do not want to put too many miles on it as this is a stepping stone, I want to get into a Speed Yellow GT3, say a 2004 in a couple of years. But it has to be Speed Yellow, goes with my name 'The Speed Demon' which you can access my website named the same from my profile.

Oh before I forget, yes I do want to change the wheels (and tyres) and suspension to give it a lower meaner look and handle better.

Here are some more pics (taken before I bought the car - haven't had a chance to take new pics):
Attached Images      
Old 06-06-2007, 12:37 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

I love the aerokit, but:

1) Get rid of those chrome ghetto wheels pronto
2) Lower it with a quality suspension kit
Old 06-06-2007, 12:41 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

TheSpeedDemon,

That is a fair price. I just paid $34,800 for mine with 66K miles. Mine had the following Mods you may not have:

1. PSE
2. After market stereo that was tastefully modded. It runs off a Porsche head unit.
3. Litronics
4. 3 spoke steering wheel
5. Winglets on the back end. (Some people like it; others don't. I like it because it gives our narrow bodies a flare like the wide bodies)

You are also missing a small lip under the front bumper. It is a must as it really helps stabilize the car above 90MPH. Do a search as the part number it was posted recently.

Its a sweet ride. Enjoy...
Old 06-06-2007, 12:44 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Benjamin, you hit the nail on the head, I also do not like the wheels. I am no fan of chrome, I like a polished aluminum wheel or painted (if it goes with the car). I prefer 5 spoke wheels with a deep dish look. Not concerned if they are 18's or 19's (the above ones are 19's). I also want to lower the car and have the correct look with as big a wheel and tyre in the fender as possible. Any recommendations?

I am looking at the Bilstein PSS9 kit, is that a good kit?
Old 06-06-2007, 12:48 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Whoa! Deja Vu!

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/315967-finally-pics-of-the-996-a.html

And likewise, it doesn't look like the wickerbill is installed on your wing, but I can't tell for sure from your pics. Look at post 21 and on in the above linked thread.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:50 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice car, congrats!
Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

chsu74...great to meet you. In response to your mod's:

1. What is PSE?
2. I have been going back and forth on a stereo change but still I like what it has for now.
3. Litronics...how can I tell what they look like?
4. Yep a 3 spoke steering wheel I would like.
5. Hmmm I will have to look into the winglets, I would like a wider look.

I just looked under the front bumper and I see a bunch of holes where it looks like something could go there, so I will research the small lip, any idea as to what it is officially called?

Cheers,

Steven
Old 06-06-2007, 01:00 PM
Patrick
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member - times 3

Received 227 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
chsu74...great to meet you. In response to your mod's:

1. What is PSE?
2. I have been going back and forth on a stereo change but still I like what it has for now.
3. Litronics...how can I tell what they look like?
4. Yep a 3 spoke steering wheel I would like.
5. Hmmm I will have to look into the winglets, I would like a wider look.

I just looked under the front bumper and I see a bunch of holes where it looks like something could go there, so I will research the small lip, any idea as to what it is officially called?

Cheers,

Steven
PSE is Porsche Sport Exhaust, a louder set of mufflers with switchable bypass.
Litronics have "projector" lenses.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:25 PM
TheSpeedDemon
Three Wheelin'

Patrick you are the man (don't let it go to your head though... )

Ok so I have checked out the 'Deja Vu' post and got your information regarding the wicker bill.

So to recap:

1. I need to find the small lip piece that goes under the front bumper (keep it black).

2. I need to find the Wicker Bill piece that goes on the rear wing (keep it black).

Is that correct?

I amy also look into the Bumperettes too.

So I do not have Litronic headlights, that's OK I heard they cost @ $1,500 a set and I would rather spend that amount on the suspension.

PSE interests me but one-step at a time, don't want to upset the wife with going on a buying frenzy, although I do have a fund for this though that she does not know about but when the UPS and FedEx trucks showup that is a dead give away.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:32 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by TheSpeedDemon
Benjamin, you hit the nail on the head, I also do not like the wheels. I am no fan of chrome, I like a polished aluminum wheel or painted (if it goes with the car). I prefer 5 spoke wheels with a deep dish look. Not concerned if they are 18's or 19's (the above ones are 19's). I also want to lower the car and have the correct look with as big a wheel and tyre in the fender as possible. Any recommendations?

I am looking at the Bilstein PSS9 kit, is that a good kit?
The PSS9s are excellent for the streets and are adjustable enough so you can get the right feel you want (firm/soft).

The narrow bodies don't allow for much deep dish, but either way, it'll look way better with a proper set of 19" wheels on. Pass on the 18s or just get stock ones cuz the 18s just don't cut it (look too small).

I'd check out Work/Fikse/OZ/BBS/Champion wheels for your ride. They are all solid companies with BBS/OZ being the biggest players with the deepest R&D pockets.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:09 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Originally Posted by chsu74

5. Winglets on the back end. (Some people like it; others don't. I like it because it gives our narrow bodies a flare like the wide bodies)

The winglest, to me, are a must with that aerokit. You're right, it adds balance to the overall look though it'll never make it look like a widebody.

I love the GT3 aero on the '99-'01s. Such a good looking piece of kit.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:11 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Speed Deamon,

part number for the lower lip is:
part# 996 505 986 02 G2X , your dealer will have this part and should not be very expensive. I think it's around US$ 100.

You can also use the Mk.II Cup lip (which is Mr. C-4's car - Its a MK1-GT3) which is deeper but you will need to drill a few more holes and trim off the edges as it is slightly too long. Part # 996.505.986.91 and should cost around US$ 100.- as well but can only be purchased from Porsche Motorsport. Your dealer is not likely to have access to the Motorsport parts catalog but does not hurt to ask.

A great thread is "post your favorite pic of your 996." There are many examples of modding your 996. I bought mine from Club411 about a month ago so you can see the lower lip in that picture which is on page 3? There are many pictures of the winglets so you can decide for your self if you like the look.

Quick Reply: NEWB...NEW 996 Owner!