Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

PA (Bucks County) Covered Bridge Tour: Saturday July 28th

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007 | 11:15 AM
hdtwncam88
Instructor

im going to attempt to get that Saturday off, unfortunately being in the auto biz, Saturdays off are usually for weddings and funerals..lol
Old 07-17-2007 | 07:26 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Not related to this drive, but I figured that you guys might be interested in this one...

The Riesentotoer PCA region has a drive organized from King of Prussia, PA down to Chesapeake City, MD on August 18th. I know there are guys here that love to drive with other Porsches, so I thought I'd post it here.

The drive is open to PCA members and the details are as follows:

Chesapeak Cruise Touring event August 18th (Rain date August 19th)

Registration limited to 30 Cars. PM me and I'll pass your registration along, or put you in touch with the organizer (this is not one of mine).

I'll be there, so hopefully you can join us.

Leave King of Prussia, Crate and Barrel parking lot 9am. (get there early).

Lunch at the Tape Room, home of delicious steamed crabs.

Chesapeake City's historic area is on the national historic registry, as well as Maryland's historic registry. The city has shops featuring antiques, collectibles, clothing and craft. There is also the canal museum, art gallery, and summer concerts, Chesapeake city was built on the banks of C & D, canal which links the Chesapeake bay with the Deleware river.
Old 07-21-2007 | 01:31 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Bump! Hope to see you next Saturday!

Here's a summary of my earlier posts...

i) Arrive with a full tank of gas. There is a gas station in Lambertville, but I don't know if it's open early, so you should fill up somewhere on the home stretch close to Lambertville. Remember to empty your bladder at the same time!
ii) If you have 2 way radios, bring them, as we'll have them and can all tune into the same channel.
iii) Arriving early is good. Looks like we'll have a good turnout, so getting there early gives you time to stand around talking with others and admiring the cars. I aim to be there nice and early.
iv) bring a camera and take lots of photos. I think I'll also be rigging my camcorder into the car to enjoy the ride.
v) If you have a map that covers upper bucks county, PA, then it will not hurt to bring it. The directions we've pulled together (I think) are pretty good, but on the off-chance that you get separated it will be good to have members of the group with maps.
vii) The route is designed with fast stretches, as well as slower (curvy) fun stretches. These speed differences will naturally spread out the group and allow you space to have fun. The run can be done without a navigator if you stay close to a car with a navigator, but it's best to have someone in the car directing, as I'd hate to see anyone get lost.
viii) The PCA is kindly sponsoring this run, so please come and find me when you arrive and sign in. This will get you a copy of the route and have you sign a PCA waiver that covers the organizers in case something bad happens.

Those that are coming in from a distance and would like the route in advance can PM me the day before and I'll send it to them to allow them to familiarize themselves with the maps.

Should be a fun day, a good turnout and plenty of photo ops.
Old 07-21-2007 | 02:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I have a favor to ask.

In case we have a large number of people show up for this run I'd like to have a back-up group leader.

In the event that we have more than 35 cars show up, I would split the group into two and stagger the two groups on the same run, but have them separated by 5-10 minutes.

We would need some who has a navigator to run the second group and would not mind stepping in at the last minute if we need you. I can send you the route in advance so that you can get a feel for it ahead of time.

PM me if you're interested in helping out.

Thanks!
Old 07-21-2007 | 03:03 PM
Art_Z
Drifting

sorry for the last minute add here, but it looks like I finally have a Saturday free of kids sports commitments .. so I'd like to come down for the ride ..
Old 07-21-2007 | 04:46 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Glad to have you along! I remember how you couldn't make our first drive when we switched the day due to rain.
Old 07-22-2007 | 07:53 AM
dm_n_stuff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VGM911
I've posted this event on FerrariChat. Although the guys who hang out on this website seem to prefer showing their cars rather than driving them, I'm hopeful that one or two will dare to participate in this event.
Hey!! Wait a minute... I'm a member over at FerrariChat, and not all of us have show queen cars!

If I can make this run, which I'm gonna do my best to do, I'll be bringing the Boxster, not the Dino.

Primary reason? Creature comforts. The '72 gets awfully hot in the summer, A/C is minimal, etc, but the Boxster (which I now have almost 100 miles on!!) is top down, bridge appreciating fun.

Although, under the right weather conditions, the Dino could be coaxed out of the garage. Hope to see you guys there.

Dave M.
Old 07-22-2007 | 11:44 PM
first 997S
Intermediate

I think I will be joining you. How many cars are you expecting?

Last edited by first 997S; 07-23-2007 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-22-2007 | 11:49 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Glad to have you join us.

To be honest I have no clue how many will show up. The feedback has been good, so I'm expecting a good turnout.
Old 07-23-2007 | 11:38 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Any volunteers for backup group leader in case we need one?

The route in now done - whoo-hoo! Glad to have that all written up.
Old 07-24-2007 | 09:26 AM
Midnight Blue
Advanced

Looking forward to the drive! Expect a handful of Cayman's this time around...
Old 07-24-2007 | 02:02 PM
jainbaby
Racer

I am going to make it, my 356 is still not complete, so I will be bringing my 993
Old 07-24-2007 | 07:28 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

I think that we're in for a good mix of Porsches. Hopefully the weather holds out for us.
Old 07-24-2007 | 11:06 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

We don't typically organize a lunch stop at the end of the tour, due to the unpredictability of the number of attendees, but we have had a kind invitation from a couple of PCA members who are willing to host us at their house.

If there is an interest we can make this happen. Please let me know ASAP (PM or email) to give us an idea on whether we should do this.

There's the option for pool time if you want to bring along your swimwear.

I know that some travel distances for these drives and want to get back on the road home, but we thought we'd float the idea to see the response.
Old 07-24-2007 | 11:56 PM
Art_Z
Drifting

i'm always up for lunch

Quick Reply: PA (Bucks County) Covered Bridge Tour: Saturday July 28th