996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Engine Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 09:39 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

If you're going to worry yourself sick about it, you might want to buy a different car. I've followed so many threads on this, and they all peter out the same way.

The deal is, yes, there is a much higher statistical probability that your M96 engine will fail than for most other cars. People used to think that the 3.6 was 'fixed', but that's simply because there wasn't yet enough experience with the motor to collect the kind of anecdotal evidence you see here. Now, I think, the evidence is pretty clear that they're better, but not immune.

I happen to think that the cost of a replacement is still surprisingly cheap. Moreover, if you sniff around in the real world, and not only online, you'll see that there have been situations where Porsche has been quite reasonable about replacement. Here in Canada, at least, the replacements are adjudicated individually, and they take into account things like service history etc. Over all, given these are near-exotic cars, the replacement cost is not the end of the world. If, for you it is, then again you should move on.

I also happen to think that all the pissing and moaning about this, especially by people who haven't even had a failure, is a splendid way to see resale values continue to plunge.

I love to drive my 996. I bought it knowing that this engine thing was an risk. But the price difference between it and a newer, 'safe' 911 was so great that you could almost fit a couple of new engines in there. And besides, if my motor fails, it won't bankrupt me. And in the meantime, I get to drive this fantastic, iconic car... as a member of what may be the last generation of humans who get to have 300hp automobiles as toys.

If you want one more than you're worried, go find a well driven, well maintained 996 and have the time of your life. If you're worried more than you want one, don't .

These were my thoughts as I waited in line at the Toyota dealer to talk about a new engine for my wife's RAV4 because of oil gelling. I had to wait because the service manager was having a shouting match with some guy about needing a new engine for his Sienna because of oil gelling. So I had time to think.

See, life is full of risks. Some are worth it.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:11 AM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Well said Bruce.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:14 AM
justinmm2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rountreed
Wow 102,000 miles with original clutch!
T2 has 140k on the original clutch on his 996TT, I think it was (not sure of the exact number)
Old 05-30-2007, 11:35 AM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smithk993
Then I hear the 3.6L have cured the problems and then along comes the thread "broken Porsche, broken heart" which shows up on the new engine!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

What are the true costs of an engine swap with remanufactured engine? Has anyone had recent experience? Did Porsche help/subsidize the cost for older vehicles? Was this only if purchased from a Porsche dealer?

I had decided the 996 was my next vehicle, but now.... I'm not so sure.

Keith
I have a 2004 that I bought new at the end of 2005. It was a leftover car, but whatever. anyway, i had engine replacement after 5k miles. I broke the car in just as directed, etc. However, after 3 falshing check engine lights and finally some testing that found metal in the oil filter Porsche replaced the engine. I now have about 5k miles on the new engine and couldn't be happier. To be clear on this many auto makers are going to engine replacement as standard procedure. BMW is not breaking down engines anymore. Toyota is having huge engine replacement issues with their engine sludge problem. Every car maker has a percentage of engine replacements. I think it is blown out of proportion honestly. Sure it completely sucks if you have no warranty, and have to foot the bill. However, I think anyone who chose not to buy a 996 or 997 because some of the cars have had engine replacement is short changing themselves. I know it seems like a huge deal because the engine is obviously the key component of the car, and to have it replaced seems so drastic. I thought this too, but when looking into it further, talking with lots of mechanics from many car makers I was comfortable with the process. If you like the car buy it. If you can get one with warranty I would certainly recommend that as the best avenue for protection, but I wouldn't not buy this car solely on the basis there have been replacements. The 996 has been the most successful 911 in the 40+ year history of the car. That isn't because it sucked. Get one!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:42 AM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Actually, it's gone from $8k to $12k, and some dealers are now charging $15k

I was speaking to Loren @ 911 Design about this very point the other month.

He was lamenting the uplift in his base cost for a remanufactured engine unit so we got into a discussion about the M96 issues and costs.

In his words 'the honeymoon period is over, Porsche are looking to charge a real-world price for these units and stop subsidizing them'.
Maybe the cost has gone up in the last 4 mos, but dealer pricing on a 3.4l factory crate engine was 6500 at the end of Jan '07. I do not know what changes have occurred in the last 4 mos, but previously anything over 6500 was just stealer markup.

Andrew
Old 05-30-2007, 12:07 PM
pl
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so i just called sunset porsche
(Factory Porsche Parts, Tequipment and Selection (Boutique)
All at Dealer Cost Plus 15% Handling and Shipping Cost -- No Sales Tax!
Phone: 1-800-346-0182
for MY 2001 3.4 price is $7998 with core exchange, plus shipping.
and labor in my dealership is 12 hours.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:10 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

sounds to me the 3.4/6 engine is cheaper than the S54 BMW M engine which is closer to the GT1 engine in the GT3 at $20K.... nudge nudge
Old 05-30-2007, 01:39 PM
smithk993
Racer

I do appreciate the feedback even though this topic has been discussed many times over. As I've said, except for my recent departure to the NSX, I've driven a Porsche of some sort (including four 911 variants) for the past 20 years and each has had a fair number of HPDE's. I love the general feel of the car as well as the overall quality of the components. I've done most of my basic maintenance such as brakes, oil changes, suspension, exhaust, etc.

I've always tried to buy the most car I could get for the money and made sure that the car had been looked after with proper service records. I felt like this would lower the chance of a major expense. Maybe because of this or maybe just luck, I never experienced any unexpected major repairs, certainly not to the tune of a $8k-$15k engine replacement.

It is concerning to think that following my past strategy is of very little protection against this potential issue and even looking for a low mileage doesn't seem to decrease the risk. In this case it almost seems as I should look for a lower price car with higher mileage and budget for an engine swap.

One other clarification. Is there a consensus that if I do get a Porsche remanufactured engine, that the problem areas Intermediate Shaft and cracked cylynder lining been upgraded to reduce the chance of a reoccurence or is it another ticking time bomb.

Thanks again for the comments.

Keith
Old 05-30-2007, 02:15 PM
pl
Drifting

Intermediate Shaft: still possible. Intermediate Shaft is a rear failure, it could occur on ANY M96 engine, including TT & GT2/3

cracked cylynder: no very likely.
agine, porsche has a problem during the late 90s, and the machine has been fixed

I do appreciate the feedback even though this topic has been discussed many times over. As I've said, except for my recent departure to the NSX, I've driven a Porsche of some sort (including four 911 variants) for the past 20 years and each has had a fair number of HPDE's. I love the general feel of the car as well as the overall quality of the components. I've done most of my basic maintenance such as brakes, oil changes, suspension, exhaust, etc.

I've always tried to buy the most car I could get for the money and made sure that the car had been looked after with proper service records. I felt like this would lower the chance of a major expense. Maybe because of this or maybe just luck, I never experienced any unexpected major repairs, certainly not to the tune of a $8k-$15k engine replacement.

It is concerning to think that following my past strategy is of very little protection against this potential issue and even looking for a low mileage doesn't seem to decrease the risk. In this case it almost seems as I should look for a lower price car with higher mileage and budget for an engine swap.

One other clarification. Is there a consensus that if I do get a Porsche remanufactured engine, that the problem areas Intermediate Shaft and cracked cylynder lining been upgraded to reduce the chance of a reoccurence or is it another ticking time bomb.

Thanks again for the comments.

Keith
Old 05-30-2007, 02:32 PM
pongobaz
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by pl
Intermediate Shaft: still possible. Intermediate Shaft is a rear failure, it could occur on ANY M96 engine, including TT & GT2/3
Yup, they are not immune to it. See this post in the 996 turbo forum .
Old 05-30-2007, 02:40 PM
BruceP
Drifting

I've always tried to buy the most car I could get for the money... In this case it almost seems as I should look for a lower price car with higher mileage and budget for an engine swap.
Just .02 more on that: Remember that an engine failure is a maybe, while depreciation is a certainty. If you plan to keep the car for a long, long time, then there's a case to be made for buying the most recent example you can find. But if there's any chance you might swap it for something else in the next few years, you're financially not ahead at all by doing that. Whatever you MIGHT spend on an engine for an older car, you WILL spend on depreciation for a newer one. It's more a question of whether you can handle surprises than whether you'll spend the dough.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:29 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

Forget the 996, itīs a great car, but believe me the risk of having a blown engine any day, will cut the pleasure of having one, forget about if it really happens because youīll loose all the confidence on this car. Even the rebuild engines are blowing now that some of them have run some big miles.

Itīs a shame , but itīs the true, M96 are prone to engine failures. Mine had 50000Km on the clock always assisted when it blown leaving me with a 8500 euros bill to pay. Out of three friends with 996 Carreras , two of them had blown engines and the third sold the car due to fear of a blown engine because he had already three RMS replacements.

Get the 997, it seems to be more reliable on this regard, but if you want the real bullet proof Porsche engine, get the 996GT3 or 996TT , those are indeed the most stronge engines Porsche have based on the M64 motor.

J.Seven
Old 05-30-2007, 04:40 PM
J.Seven
Instructor

Originally Posted by pongobaz
Yup, they are not immune to it. See this post in the 996 turbo forum .
This 996TT has a stage II engine tuning kit. Anyway I wont say this was the cause for the engine failure.

J.Seven
Old 05-30-2007, 04:48 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Originally Posted by J.Seven
Forget the 996, itīs a great car, but believe me the risk of having a blown engine any day, will cut the pleasure of having one, forget about if it really happens because youīll loose all the confidence on this car. Even the rebuild engines are blowing now that some of them have run some big miles.

Itīs a shame , but itīs the true, M96 are prone to engine failures. Mine had 50000Km on the clock always assisted when it blown leaving me with a 8500 euros bill to pay. Out of three friends with 996 Carreras , two of them had blown engines and the third sold the car due to fear of a blown engine because he had already three RMS replacements.

Get the 997, it seems to be more reliable on this regard, but if you want the real bullet proof Porsche engine, get the 996GT3 or 996TT , those are indeed the most stronge engines Porsche have based on the M64 motor.

J.Seven
So the way to avoid potentially paying ten grand for a new engine is to definitely pay thirty grand more for a newer car? Even though this doesn't completely eliminate the risk? Hmmm... interesting logic.

Hey, I love the 997, and if you can or choose to spend at that level for a 911, go for it. I'm just doubtful of the logic of this as an alternative for someone who was shopping for a 996.

Just saying is all.
Old 05-30-2007, 05:01 PM
karlooz
Addict
Rennlist Member

1999 c2. 96K same motor AND supercharged for ~25K. daily driver and tracked heavily...no lame 1/4 mile sprints for me . leakdown and compression test at 95K. all normal. no RMS leaks (thanks to the LWF). i run 0w-40 fall, winter, spring and 10w-40 in the summer @100+ temps. i track my car year round with at least 30 track days/year. oil changes every 4th track day.

replaced coolant reservoir, clutch master and slave cylinders, clutch and flywheel at ~60K

Quick Reply: 996 Engine Replacement