Sponsored by:

Car wash flooded my engine???

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:09 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I brought my 944 to the local car wash during winter months, to get the salt off the underside. I would worry about my rear rims getting scratched on the 996. But, how do you guys wash your cars by hand in the 35 degree temps?
Old 05-29-2007, 12:05 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I find that when the temperature is over 40 degrees (and we do get a good number of these days in the Philadelphia area during the winter), it's possible to wash the car outdoors, preferably in the sun.

It's not a liesurely, quality wash, mind you, but it's a much needed wash nevertheless. And I wear latex gloves to help keep my hands warm.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:13 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I brought my 944 to the local car wash during winter months, to get the salt off the underside. I would worry about my rear rims getting scratched on the 996. But, how do you guys wash your cars by hand in the 35 degree temps?
I go to a do-it-yourself place (I live in a condo and have no driveway to wash in). The place I use has a pretty effective spot-free rinse option, an undercarriage washer, and these blow dryer things (no, seriously). For winter, it does a good enough job.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:35 PM
dave1200
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

full service car washes are ok.... do you think porsche washes them by hand after assembly? No ,they run it through a high pressure wash bay.

BTW so does Ferrari.
Old 05-29-2007, 02:49 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is a shot of me, washing my 944 two years ago...fun fun fun!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 PM
carpundit
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plastic rear window...

One reason for Greg not to use an automated wash is the plastic rear window on his '99 cab.

Nothing scratches up that plastic like dragging little bits of dirt across it. (You have to be careful even with handwashing, because a dirty sponge will do the same thing.)
Old 05-29-2007, 03:51 PM
myrmidon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
Alright, I need two volunteers to go with me to gregroselli's house and CONFISCATE his car. The reason? Section 125(b)(3) of the Porsche Penal Code: Under no circumstances shall the owner take his dearly beloved Porsche to a car wash. This crime is punishable by confiscation of the victimized Porsche and its remanding to a good home where it will be properly cared for.
Sounds a little too 'fanboy' to me. I ONLY take my car through the car wash and have never had any trouble.

Make no mistake, I am also crazy about my car, but life is too short to waste it washing cars...
Old 05-29-2007, 03:55 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by myrmidon
Sounds a little too 'fanboy' to me. I ONLY take my car through the car wash and have never had any trouble.

Make no mistake, I am also crazy about my car, but life is too short to waste it washing cars...
Unless you like washing cars.

It's the the thing I miss most about living in a house. Warm Saturday afternoon, cold beer and tunes, envious stares of neighbours...

Each to his own, no?
Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Greg, since your in the city, you might want to consider driving up to Mamaroneck. Mamaroneck Auto Detailing does a great hand car wash job and it's very competitively priced (around 20-25 bucks for a 996). Indeed, they wash the cars inside their garage out of the sun and/or cold. I generally just pop by and then walk across the street for a quick coffee while they get it done, generally in less than an hour unless they're super busy (you may want to call first). I've been going there for about a decade and have always been happy.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:18 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

I ONLY take my car through the car wash and have never had any trouble..
Why not just sandblast the thing and be done with it (the water quality in those washes is bad). I would suspect you have micro marring and scratches...they show like mad on a dark/black car.
Old 05-29-2007, 05:30 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why not just sandblast the thing and be done with it (the water quality in those washes is bad). I would suspect you have micro marring and scratches...they show like mad on a dark/black car.
That's actually right and the one reason why I didn't get a black 996. I had 1 and only 1 black car in my life. That's enought - at least for me. It looks great (if clean) but if you're not into hand washing it every other day, then no thanks!
Old 05-29-2007, 05:37 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I also take my car to the self service wash places. I use my own soap .. and only use the high pressure rinse they have there. Its way quicker than bucket/hose washing.
Old 05-30-2007, 11:19 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

+1
Old 05-30-2007, 04:00 PM
AmirShaikh
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rcg412
+1
+2

Amazing how the beginning of the thread swings from no-car-wash to car-washers.

I'm actually surprised that people here do spend the time to wash their car...considering the income poll that I saw a few months ago. I thought people making that kind of money have limited time....unless you had an early retirement or something .

thanks,
Amir
Old 05-30-2007, 04:23 PM
wross996tt
Race Car

Received 83 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by AmirShaikh
I'm actually surprised that people here do spend the time to wash their car...considering the income poll that I saw a few months ago.
That statement smacks of premature generalization I enjoy washing my car...one of the few things I can do where it is obvious what I have accomplished. I can't believe people are so lazy or have such poor time management skills that they can't appropriately take care of their vehicle. Oh yeah don't ever use high pressure spray on paint.

Actually I could care less what you do with your time or car...just screwing with you...since I have so much time to kill.

Quick Reply: Car wash flooded my engine???