996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:23 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jaker, when you say it's tougher on rotors, can you put some numbers behind that? How many less miles on rotors as compared to OEM pads?

I know that might be hard to produce, but when you say tougher, just want to know what the real results are.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:24 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Hawk HPS as well.
Good performance. Much less dust than OEM.
Good pricing too from AJ USA.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:33 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how much are they at AJ? I was going to order thru tirerack
Old 05-23-2007, 06:47 PM
Kevin H. in Atl..
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

$103 for fronts, shipping included, 12 mo's ago.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:12 PM
jakermc
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Jaker, when you say it's tougher on rotors, can you put some numbers behind that? How many less miles on rotors as compared to OEM pads?

I know that might be hard to produce, but when you say tougher, just want to know what the real results are.
Of course I do not have numbers. I don't manufacture brake pads for a living and have not done double blind scientific tests. I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night either.

My conclusion is based on two things:

1) Hawk, Porterfield, and Performance Friction brand brake pads are all manufactured by the same company - Performance Friction. I have spoken to several company reps about the relative merits of the products in their line and they have told me the Hawk line is more aggressive on rotors than the Performance Friction brand. If I remember right, Porterfield is somewhere in the middle. This is somewhat of a generalization given the different compounds in the line, but they do have common characteristics within the brands.

2) The information from the company reps has been backed up by just about everyone I have spoken with who has used the various brands. In this case I am referring to their race products, not street products, but I would guess it trickles down to the street. Again, similar characteristics across the brands line-up. For those of us who track their cars we go through many sets of pads each year and have ample opportunities to compare.

I have no idea about how well OEM wears on rotors but you will notice I never said anything about them in my first post. I simply said Hawk is more aggressive than 'other choices'. I had Hawk in mind when I wrote that as that was the brand most were recommending in this post.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by pat056
just ordered Hawk HPS...thanks for all the info!!

Pat,

I didn't mean to burst the bubble, but last DE (I know you mentioned you wont be doing DE with yours/But I know how hard you break when you were my instructor), I installed HPS on my 02 996. Doing great but started feeling some fading later in the hotter afternoons. I installed the OEMs back(TEXTARs/Porsche/Brembo) and I thought they were better. They have that sand paper feel when I was hard on the brakes. (Not sure though if the bleeding I did that second time was better).
Old 06-18-2007, 08:33 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

HPS's are not track pads! That is not what the fellow was asking for. I have used Porterfield, Padgid or Carbotech on my race car.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:40 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by Steven C.
HPS's are not track pads! That is not what the fellow was asking for. I have used Porterfield, Padgid or Carbotech on my race car.
Thank you, but I realize that. Thats why I wrote that I am aware of his situation. I am comparing the stock to the HPS.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:18 PM
Alphahunter
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aben8057
Benjamin....Mintex red box
I have seen these on Ebay for a good price. You say for the street go with the Red Box?
Old 06-18-2007, 11:41 PM
springgeyser
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk HPS is not hard on rotors, I have them on my other imports. They are a great improvement over stock. They actually work great on the occasional DE track/AX days.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:20 AM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Mike
Just for street use, were you happy with the Hawks? I do tend to break a little easier on the street that the track as the wife's not too happy about having to be mechanically removed from the windshield.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:10 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Mike
Just for street use, were you happy with the Hawks? I do tend to break a little easier on the street that the track as the wife's not too happy about having to be mechanically removed from the windshield.
Pat,

Just for street use, Yes, they were fine. {Hahaha... I'm telling your wife! j/k}

But for the last DE, NO, not with the HPS. Comparing the HPS Hawk to the OEM Porsche(Textar/Brembo with 996-XXX part no stamped), I really felt that the OEM didn't fade (for my level of driving/braking / I'm just in the Blue Group) compared to the HPS. Specialy braking at the end of the VIR front straight 2 weekends ago. I switched between those two pads couple of times that weekend.

Like you, I was looking for pads that weren't going to wear my rotors drasticaly that why I first chose the HPS. .. but ended up putting back the OEMs.

Last edited by Carrera Mike; 06-19-2007 at 01:54 PM.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 PM
kc996
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeRosen
A change to a more aggressive pad may not have any effect on your stopping power on the street. In the case of a 996 Porsche used only on the street, you have way more braking power than most any other car even with the OE pads. It is unlikely that you are heating them up enough to cause fade. I'd stick with OE if it's cheaper and consider improving your stopping power and handling by putting the money saved towards your tire budget when the time comes.
+1!
Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 PM
pat056
Rennlist Member

Mike
So are you wide open through the esses at VIR yet? I'm feathering the throttle slightly to keep the tires on the ground at the top of the hills and making sure I hit my apexes good (ie no pinching), but basically full throtle. I must admit, it's been awhile since I've been on street tires there, though.
Old 06-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Mike
So are you wide open through the esses at VIR yet? I'm feathering the throttle slightly to keep the tires on the ground at the top of the hills and making sure I hit my apexes good (ie no pinching), but basically full throtle. I must admit, it's been awhile since I've been on street tires there, though.
Pat,

I have a lot of steak and rice to eat before i could get to your level! (Thats a compliment!) I'm on street tires with slightly lowered suspension(H&R springs/Bilsieins shocks combination)and I get nervous through the esses. The car kinda feel floaty there for me... and that could also be just me not taking it to the next level I think my fastest speed entering the esses is 108. and of course I heard that the worst carnage in VIR happens at "Southbend" which is right after the climbing esses so I am really careful there making sure I'm not pushing beyond what I'm comfortable with (politicaly corect term for 'chickening out' ) //maybe a couple more rides with you will get me past that...

Quick Reply: Brake Pads