Sponsored by:

Sat Radio in a 2003 996

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:27 PM
PUZZ1
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 31 Posts
Default Sat Radio in a 2003 996

Does Porsche make a stock head unit that will pick up a SAT signal for Sirius or XM?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:32 AM
03Targa
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:47 AM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 81 Posts

just had an amazing isntallation done by S&R Auto Sound in NJ. Very VERY clean, integrates into my 03 996. Everything is stock, sounds great (wired FM). the little receiver sits hidden in one of the cubby holes below the radio. Was going to post pictures, but havent had the chance.

You wouldnt know it is installed save the radio is set to 88.1!
Old 05-22-2007, 10:19 AM
DanJK
Racer

Can you post more details on the install - what sat unit and maybe a pic?
Old 05-22-2007, 01:34 PM
rcronin
Advanced

If your car has NAV then you can put SAT in your car via the unit that is in the Cayenne. A trip to the dealer is required then to make it work.
I was heading in this direction before I opted to go aftermarket. Some people think that the FM transmitter sounds good enough. Much cheaper route too.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:46 PM
rmillnj
Racer

I am running SIRIUS with exposed wires and the antenna sitting on the dash with a unit suctioned cupped on the windshield. This setup works fine and I have no major issues concerning reception. It may not look so great with exposed wires , but it is quick and cheap and doesn't look all that bad.

Installation cost was of course almost zero. The almost zero is a result of having to buy one of those sticky gummi pads to put the antenna on so it doesn't slide around. The only other modification I would like to make is to cut the antenna wire down. I suppose it would be easy to splice. If that wire was cut to length, it would really neaten the whole thing up.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 03Targa
Nope.
Incorrect answer.

As stated in this thread, the PCM can be connected to an XM or Sirius sat radio receiver (both are Porsche Tequipment items) via POF (plastic optical fiber), a.k.a. MOST, in the same manner as a CDChanger is connected.
You can view the install TSB on Loren's site and/or ask your Porsche service advisor and/or stereo install shop.
There is a thread in the 997 forum (about 27000 views) regarding the install of the Cayenne sat radio kit into a Carrera.
(FWIW, the Cayenne and Carrera/Boxster PCM code bases are 95% identical, hence the reason the "Cayenne" kit works in the 9x7 platforms).
Old 05-22-2007, 02:29 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

I will try and post pictures at some point, although not much to see.

The device installed was the Sirius SC-FM1 Starbase unit, http://www.crutchfield.com/S-jeXsnEJ...asp?i=607SCFM1

The antenna is mounted on the plastic where the windshield wipers are, Sean (installer/owner of shop) used the "better" sirius antenna. He then threaded the wire where the side pieces/battery come together under the bonnet... no holes were drilled.

The wire then was run through to the cabin by the gas pedal... he drilled a small hole (1/4")through some plastic piece and pulled cable through... it was a shocking how little there is between the hood and the cabin actually, then fed it to the center console.

Now, the tuner box sits in the center console, mounted to floor... it is very small so fits in easily. They used the Phone option power leads for power.

The actual interface (receiver) module, sits loose in the cubby hole below the radio, one hole was drilled in the back of the hole to attach to the tuner unit. The nice thing about this starbase module is that it only has one cable... so i can easily pull out, or i usually just reach in and change the channel.

If I want to remove the whole ensemble, itll take < 1 minute... and the FM wire sounds great, as good as FM... and keep in mind satellite radio isnt too high quality.

The guys who installed it was Sean @ SR Audio Works - 908 437 0222. Sean is the owner too, i stayed in the bay when he did it - he was very familiar with the MOST system and 911s.

Let me know if you have any questions. Ross
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
rcg412
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ltc
Incorrect answer.

As stated in this thread, the PCM can be connected to an XM or Sirius sat radio receiver (both are Porsche Tequipment items) via POF (plastic optical fiber), a.k.a. MOST, in the same manner as a CDChanger is connected.
You can view the install TSB on Loren's site and/or ask your Porsche service advisor and/or stereo install shop.
There is a thread in the 997 forum (about 27000 views) regarding the install of the Cayenne sat radio kit into a Carrera.
(FWIW, the Cayenne and Carrera/Boxster PCM code bases are 95% identical, hence the reason the "Cayenne" kit works in the 9x7 platforms).
LTC - but that method is hardly plug and play... i dont think the CDR-23 can interface with that unit, correct?
Old 05-22-2007, 05:29 PM
03Targa
Instructor

Originally Posted by ltc
Incorrect answer.

Hmm, is that all 996's or pre 2003?
Old 05-22-2007, 06:39 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Here's a pic of my Sirius install. Antenna is mounted under alarm LED cover at front-center of dash right at bottom of windshield. Cover pops off to reveal mounting plate for factory satellite nav system's antenna. If you don't have factory navi, then this is a great spot for sirius/xm antenna. Antenna wire can be stuffed in dash seam and run around and under dash. Power comes from factory phone power connecter right behind where sat radio is located. I used FM modulator to factory radio - requires metra euro antenna adapter. Radio mount is the plate supplied with radio super-glued to the cubby - a perfect fit. I also bought a new cubby from suncoast for $30 for when I need to uninstall at some point.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2007, 06:46 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Originally Posted by rmillnj
The only other modification I would like to make is to cut the antenna wire down. I suppose it would be easy to splice. If that wire was cut to length, it would really neaten the whole thing up.
That little antenna wire is co-axial so not as easy to splice as it might look. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:42 PM
03Targa
Instructor

Question

Ok, I'm a bit lost. What is the point of the Dension adapter if all this is possible without it. I suspect my ignorance of car electicals is showing but I was literally about to order the Dension 500 kit so I could set up the car with Sirius and Ipod. Is that really necessary (I have a 2003, no nav and no multdisc player)?
Old 05-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

The dension unit allows for direct auxilliary input to the factory radio (better sound quality). Other installs make use of direct-wire FM so the sat radio plays thru an unused FM station. I considered the Dension but I think it's too expensive. FM direct wire is plenty-good quality for me and the FM direct-wire adapter is only about $20.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:33 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Originally Posted by Macho Belly
That little antenna wire is co-axial so not as easy to splice as it might look. Don't ask me how I know.
Thanks for the tip. I will forget about trying to cut it down. I wonder if anyone sells an antenna with a short wire for those kind of units.

Quick Reply: Sat Radio in a 2003 996