Sponsored by:

Recommended Porsche Service in San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 03:49 PM
kurtp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recommended Porsche Service in San Diego

My 2003 996 Cabriolet runs perfectly and looks great. It has under 22K miles, but I don't know when it was last serviced. The car was third-party inspected before I purchased it and everything was perfect. The dealer that sold it to me didn't have the service records, although the manual was stamped as having it's two-year service. There is also a sticker on the window that says the next oil change is needed in over 1000 more miles.

My questions are:

When should I bring it in for service/oil change?

What service locations would you recommend for someone living in Carlsbad, CA? Hoehn Porsche is two miles away, but I am not sure of their reputation.

I have read some negative comments about Hoehn Porsche, but I think it was more related to their sales tactics. A neighbor said that Pioneer Porsche is better for 996 service, but he has a 993. There is a dealership in Escondido and other non-dealer service shops, but I am not sure if bringn it to a non-dealer location is a good idea.

I plan on working on the Porsche myself at times, but want to have a good mechanic backup.

Thanks for your time.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:20 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kurtp
My 2003 996 Cabriolet runs perfectly and looks great. It has under 22K miles, but I don't know when it was last serviced. The car was third-party inspected before I purchased it and everything was perfect. The dealer that sold it to me didn't have the service records, although the manual was stamped as having it's two-year service. There is also a sticker on the window that says the next oil change is needed in over 1000 more miles.

My questions are:

When should I bring it in for service/oil change?

What service locations would you recommend for someone living in Carlsbad, CA? Hoehn Porsche is two miles away, but I am not sure of their reputation.

I have read some negative comments about Hoehn Porsche, but I think it was more related to their sales tactics. A neighbor said that Pioneer Porsche is better for 996 service, but he has a 993. There is a dealership in Escondido and other non-dealer service shops, but I am not sure if bringn it to a non-dealer location is a good idea.

I plan on working on the Porsche myself at times, but want to have a good mechanic backup.

Thanks for your time.
Kurt,

I'm in Carlsbad as well!

Oil change - If you think it's been longer than 12 mths since the last oil change, or you simply are not sure, then I'd do a change.

Simple to do yourself, or if you want to team up I already have the tools etc you'll need, including a set of ramps and oil pan.

0W40 Mobil1 is available from Kragen in Encinitas, on Camino Real.

Next scheduled service for your car would be 30,000 for anything other than your own personal oil change, so I'd hold of going to a shop until you hit 30k.

Service shops in the area:

Hoehn - as the official dealership they are expensive of course

Staff seem attentive - book-in times are ok (I don't think they are that busy)

I have had various run-ins with them over warranty work, so have a somewhat jaded view of their diagnostic capabilities...

Parts department (Paul) is excellent and will give you 10% discount just for mentioning you're in the PCA (even if you're not)

Now that my 986 and 996 are out of warranty, I use All German Auto in Escondido. http://www.allgermanauto.com/index.php

Top grade independent, has the latest Porsche computer for diagnostics etc

Very very good workshop - and run by a German, so it's super efficient! Martin in the owner - Cameron heads-up service.

Local PCA did a tech session there a while ago, so we got a chance to have a look around the workshop - very nice.

Very happy with the work they've done for me - would absolutely recommend them.

They are a shop for EVO upgrades as well, so can provide you some tuning options if you want to go that route - and have their own tire/wheel mounting & balancing machines on site.

They also arrange Enterprise rentals for you with a discount for the day.

My #1 choice.

Other than that you head down town to Pioneer and Black Forest - but why bother when you can stay local?

Chris.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:27 PM
kurtp
Advanced

Thanks Chris.

I was hoping someone would say AGA, for all the reasons you mentioned. Is there ever a time that using the dealer is a better idea? Although they might say this, I couldn't imagine why. I bring our Acura to the dealer because of the warranty, but have always brought other cars to independents that do better work and cost less.

I will start by changing my own oil and I picked up the oil at Costco yesterday. What do I need to change the oil in the car? I got rid of my ramps at a garage sale last year and my oil pan long before that. Maybe teaming up would be good.

I happened upon a PCA driving event at Qualcomm last month and spoke with their president for ten minutes. It seems like a great outfit. Are you a member and were you there?

Have a nice weekend.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:34 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Dealer is good for warranty work - but outside of that, I'm struggling to see why I'd want to pay their prices!

Some smaller indy shops don't have the Porsche computer, so are at a disadvantage, but that's not the case with AGA.

Which oil did you find at CostCo?? Mobil1 0W40??

CostCo usually don't have that, so I wonder if you picked up something else - 5W30 perhaps??

Current Porsche list of recommended oils lists 0W40 from Mobil, but not some of the other weights listed in your car's original manual.

Your choice, and it's a split here on the forum as to whether you go with the original manual or the subsequent tech service updates - do a search and you'll find plenty of opinions!

Oil change needs a filter housing tool - I have the correct size

Large capacity oil pan - also in stock

8mm allen key/bolt for the oil drain - check

Ramps for some extra clearance - check

Sloping driveway to make it even easier - check!

Large piece of carpet to catch spills - check!!

Filter with o-ring and new crush washer - get from Hoehn and ask for your PCA 10% discount

around 9 qts of oil - your choice

Funnel for easy filling - check

Let me know if you want to get this done, and I'll be happy to help.

Just send me a PM or Email from my profile.

Yes I am in PCA but was not at Qualcomm - I am however attending the Autopia detailing Tech session on Saturday in SD!

http://www.pcasdr.org/img/2007/Calen...7May35tech.pdf

Open to non members if you're interested.
Old 05-19-2007, 12:31 AM
kurtp
Advanced

Costco has 15W-50 Mobil 1. Thaniks for the update on quantity, as I only picked up 6 quarts. I will get another 6 quarts over the weekend. The Porsche manual recommends several viscosities, one of them being 15W-50 for areas generally hotter than 50F. I am a huge Costco supporter, so was glad that they are adjusting their inventories for my new car.

I would love to come to the Autopia event with you this weekend, but I am too busy with family activities. My son has a baseball game Saturday morning, team pool party afterwards, and golfing Sunday and Monday.

I will send you an email later. Enjoy the Autopia event.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:32 AM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

All German Auto.
Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Black Forest