What's a CPO really worth to you?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 05:26 PM
palladio
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
Nope
That figures. I'd bet the only reason it's not possible is so that the dealers can continue to maintain their hefty premiums on CPO'd cars at resale.

Why else would an owner under warranty not be allowed to take the car to a dealer, have it inspected to ensure its condition, and then pay for an extended (like a CPO) warranty?
Old 05-18-2007, 05:43 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

same goes for BMW. except their CPO coverage is much longer which then to me makes the CPO status much more complelling than the weak 2 yrs u get with the 911.
Old 05-18-2007, 06:08 PM
viprklr
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I will add my .02 worth. I just bought a 2003 Carrera 4S with 14,000 miles. The original Porsche warranty is set to run out in July. I contacted Warranty Direct & secured a "bumper to bumper warranty with 4 year/60,000 miles. They also carry a "major item" warranty that covers most big ticket items. The cost was $3300 & $1700 respectively. I definitely will purchase one since these are complex pieces of machinery. In addition, I contacted the local Porsche dealership (Vin Devers) & was told by the sales manager that to CPO a car runs approximately $2200 dealer cost plus I'm sure they are marking this up. He also said a car can only be CPO'd if it was sold by that dealership which contradicts what I have heard elsewhere. Good luck.
Old 05-18-2007, 08:11 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 20 Posts

I paid $2500 extra to get my car CPO'd by the dealer, and it's a stone bargain compared to the cost of, say, an engine replacement. And as others have noted, many aftermarket warranty companies are scams and/or mismanaged into bankruptcy.

Now whether it's worth (in the original poster's example) $8-10K, only he can answer...but I wouldn't be without it.
Old 05-20-2007, 02:00 AM
kurtp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extended Warranty Options

I purchased a 2003 C2 two weeks ago from a dealer without an extended warranty. Sorry BlackCab996. The reason I did this is because I was suspicious of the warranty company they used. However, I planned on getting a third-party extendedwarranty. This hasn't happened yet, as I live in California and it is more difficult here (few legitimate companies to choose from).

The extended warranty business seems very slippery, in that ethics seem a distant thought to some of them. However, there are some good companies out there that pay claims and have positive track-records. Look elsewhere on this site and you will see that several have made great comments aboiut WarrantyDirect. I haven't gone to them yet, as they are still working on some CA requirements.

I was considering two other EW brokerages that worked with companies that offered exclusionary contracts (the best way to go in my mind), but they didn't work with CA addresses. They offered a work-around by saying I lived in another state and then moved to CA, but I was too suspicious of this and declined. Also, most good EW plans are completely transferable. The idea of going through a EW brokerage was to have a larger company that would fight for me in the event a claim was contested. Also, the financial backing of the EW company is critical. The two I was considering were backed by Mercury Insurance and another large insurance company, meaning that the likelyhood of a known and large insurance company going out of business was very slim.

CA is great that there are tougher regulations and licensing reuired, but because of that there are very few companies willing to jump through the proper hoops to be able to sell their products here.

My credit union has a plan also that would be good, but I want comparitive options, as there is huge markup and using one to lower the price of the other is always good.

The companies I was considering but don't work in CA yet are:
http://www.warranties4wheels.com/
http://www.autowarrantybroker.com/
http://www.warrantydirect.com/

If anyone has other recommendations in CA, please let me know. Sorry for the rambling, disjointed posting, but thought some might find this information helpful

Quick Reply: What's a CPO really worth to you?