Sponsored by:

996 Alarm surprise

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 11:56 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 996 Alarm surprise

I knew the car had an alarm, but I had no idea how sophisticated it was. I had left the car with the windows cracked and the top partially open to let out the heat while I went in to buy some small batteries. As I came out, a friend called on the cellphone, so as I walked up to the car, I threw the plastic bag with the batteries into the passenger's seat thru the open sunroof. I heard a car alarm go off and I started looking around to see whose car it was....and discovered it was MINE!!

I didn't know that there's a motion detection alarm in the car that is sensitive enough to pick up a small plastic bag being thrown in.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:33 AM
ruckmjr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, I too was surprised. Car was locked in the driveway, wife and I standing there and actually saw the center console lid flip up by itself - - wasn't closed tight enough. Alarm immediately went off.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:17 AM
woody6
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the leather dash, so I use one of the folding mylar sunshades. One sunny afternoon the alarm went off for no apparent reason. When I went to find out why, I discovered the sunshade had wilted and untucked itself from the visor. When it fell, it set off the alarm.

--Woody
Old 05-16-2007, 10:26 AM
jeff_c
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL...I sometimes lock my kids in the car while I will run into a convenience store (like after filling up) and I will remind them that if they move they will set off the alarm. This is the only way I can keep them from fighting in my absence.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

It is those two bug eyes left and right of the sunroof switch.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Paul 996
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hit your lock button 2X and you hear a beep from the car. This tells you that you have disabled the internal motion sensor and can leave the sunroof/windows open with the alarm set.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tippy
It is those two bug eyes left and right of the sunroof switch.
We call them "alien eyes" - yes, those are the interior motion sensors.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:18 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I knew the car had an alarm, but I had no idea how sophisticated it was. I had left the car with the windows cracked and the top partially open to let out the heat while I went in to buy some small batteries. As I came out, a friend called on the cellphone, so as I walked up to the car, I threw the plastic bag with the batteries into the passenger's seat thru the open sunroof. I heard a car alarm go off and I started looking around to see whose car it was....and discovered it was MINE!!

I didn't know that there's a motion detection alarm in the car that is sensitive enough to pick up a small plastic bag being thrown in.
Hey Chuck, ====>

Just as Paul 996 stated. Hit the "lock" button on your key fob once and the car locks and the internal motion sensors are activated. Hit the "lock" button on your key fob a second time and the car remains locked but the motion sensors are deactivated.
Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey GOTA: I can't read....I just look at the pictures.

Quick Reply: 996 Alarm surprise