Originally Posted by hamilton
I don't own enough jewelry for a Vette
That's crap!!

All you need is one, THICK, rope chain.
Old 05-15-2007 | 12:26 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
i think it all boils down yo perception........ if we were on the corvette forum, i'm positive they'll say the same as we are with our beloved porsches, which no one can touch......... but i think it also comes down to rarity.... bmw's are a dime a dozens same with the corvette........ it's your everyday run of the mills kinda car and i don't think too many pcar drivers like to be grouped with that......... so what's the next best bet with LESS ON THE STREET, and has the performance that can out gun most cars on the street straight out of the box, PORSCHE......... i think the next level up from here would have to be the Ferrari's and Lambo's....... and for the ultra rich, you get many ferrari's and lambos with a few pcars on the side......... so we are at the peak of the many, and the start of the few....... WE ARE SPECIAL.............
That's an arrogant perception.....
Old 05-15-2007 | 12:48 AM
nick49
Drifting

I thought BMWs were cool in 1970 so I bought a 1967 1800 sedan. BMWs had only been available in the US a short time and most people had never heard of them. The last BMW model that was somewhat popular and obscure was the Isetta car. It had a 250cc motorcycle single cylinder motor in the back and a single door across the front of the body. It sat 2 adults and was fun to ride in.

I would have much rather had a Porsche but they were quite rare and extremely expensive. I was only 21 and had lusted after Porsches since I was 14. I had been a subscriber to Road & Track for several years and followed Porsche racing religiously.

Funny how impressions in your youth stay with you for a long time. I still think of BMWs as the quirky little car from Germany that you buy because you can't afford the Porsche yet. My more up to date impression is that BMWs are the car that the masses aspire to owning. When you buy a BMW, you have "Arrived".
Old 05-15-2007 | 01:34 AM
mtv65
Advanced

Did you mean this literally (or sarcastically)?

Originally Posted by jimhsu
How big is your garage, Tom?
Old 05-15-2007 | 01:48 AM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtv65
Did you mean this literally (or sarcastically)?
Oh no I was intrigued....spread over two continents that's still quite a big collection!!
Old 05-15-2007 | 01:53 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

I am currently looking at getting a older 911 so alot of people around here have been asking me to consider a vette. well I live in Bowling Green kentucky where the Vette is assmebled so they are as common as a civic.

I also worked at the Corvette museum and have driven some 83-83 vettes(I am looking at 911SC's) and a 911sc is alot better car in my opinion. Also having driven almost every street driven Porsche(Minus Carrera GT and 959) out there and alot of different vettes(C4, C5, C5 Z06, C6, C6 Z06) And honstely the corvette isn't really that exicting to drive(Minus the C6 Z06) but even as a everyday car the Z06 isn't recommended. Thats why I chose to go with the Posche over the Vette. Because there aren't alot of Porsche in this City. And the bang for the buck and everyday usuability of the P-car is the reasons I choose Porsche.

However I wouldn't mind having a M3 to the Stable one day along side my porsche's

Brandon J
Old 05-15-2007 | 11:28 AM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jimhsu
Ray, you can search for sure, but I doubt you'll find one that asks the question:

"Why M3 vs 911 and not Corvette vs 911??"

So before you jump to dismiss this thread based on its title only....
I read your post. Both M3 v 911 and Corvette v 911 threads are readily available.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...t=Corvette+996

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=E46+996

The threads above only scratch the surface. You could easily find 20+ threads on each without searching very hard.....
Old 05-15-2007 | 12:23 PM
03Targa
Instructor

I don't get the "Search the forum" posts. So we talk about it again? Big deal. Are you saying that this isn't productive time? Rarely is anything around here original. It's still fun to rehash this stuff and if you don't want to read it, then just don't open up the thread. Perhaps it will be more productive to open up yet another' exhaust mod' post or 'which oil is better' post or 'my C4S rocks' post? It's all in fun and maybe some of the more recent rennlisters haven't had a chance to weigh in with their opinion on this topic.
Old 05-15-2007 | 02:45 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

I'd agree with you on the majority of re-hashed topics. However, threads like this get old because they attract trolls like bugs to a porch light and quickly degenerate into a 10 page my car is better than yours pissing match.

If you really think that's productive and you're bored you could always head over to the 993 board and post a topic like I'm looking for a new car. Should I buy a 993 or a 996?

After all (using your logic) it's probably worth another discussion.

Do you see my point.....
Old 05-15-2007 | 02:46 PM
03Targa
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ray S
I'd agree with you on the majority of re-hashed topics. However, threads like this get old because they attract trolls like bugs to a porch light and quickly degenerate into a 10 page my car is better than yours pissing match.

If you really think that's productive and you're bored you could always head over to the 993 board and post a topic like I'm looking for a new car. Should I buy a 993 or a 996?

After all (using your logic) it's probably worth another discussion.

Do you see my point.....
Get the 993, those 996's aren't real sports cars. lol
Old 05-15-2007 | 03:09 PM
jimhsu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ray S
The threads above only scratch the surface. You could easily find 20+ threads on each without searching very hard.....
The operative words here in your reply is: "without searching very hard."

If you "don't search very hard," as you have done above, you will find a million M3 vs 911 threads, and a million and one Corvette vs 911 threads.

None of the threads you quoted are posing the quetion that is posed here on this very thread:

Why are we always comparing M3 to 911 and shouldn't we be comparing Corvette to 911 INSTEAD?

In a way this thread is comparing M3 to Corvette, and asking why are we generally preferring M3 over Corvette as a competitor....

SO I say again: trying to toss this off as another "Should have searched" thread before you read the original post and understand the question....
Old 05-15-2007 | 03:17 PM
rcronin
Advanced

M3 v. 911? In my garage it's 04 CTS-V v 03 911.
In a straight line the wife's V can outrun my targa but it can't turn as well nor brake as well.
Can the V out perform the M3? That would be a new discussion to have. Both are saloons and both have gobs of power under foot.
For those new to the CTS-V, it is a standard CTS caddy that has been stuffed with the LS-6 (our model year) and the LS-2 (current model year) 8cyl motor right out of the Z06 vette. Both the vette and the V of the same model year are the same price. This means that the motor isn't tuned down in the V.
Anyone have an M serires to line up against the V?
Old 05-15-2007 | 03:24 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

The M3 is a bit slower than the CTS-V, but I'd take the M3 over the CTS-V 10 out of 10 times. The CTS-V has some fundamental flaws and build quality is a joke (no offense).

The M3 is many times better than the CTS-V.
Old 05-15-2007 | 04:22 PM
rcronin
Advanced

The V is one of those cars that was built with a lot of passion and intent but when the clock rang 12 the pencils were put down and the car went out the door sort of unfinished. Part of the V looks like they were right on track and then the inside kind of falls down on style points. Whoever is in charge of material choices at GM should be canned.
For the money it's a great car. No issues or warranty claims since 2004 (knock on wood). Tires and brakes have been the only expenses thus far.
Truly you get what you pay for with the V.
For the record, we almost bought an M5 but went with the V instead.

Quick Reply: 911 and M3 Comparisons