Sponsored by:

Air Bag Deactivation/ OBC Switch Intall

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 09:11 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Air Bag Deactivation/ OBC Switch Intall

I installed the deactivation bar but don’t have the male connector. By inserting a small screw driver into the side of the buckle insert the buckle will latch. When ignition is turned on and buckle is latched the air bag light comes on and flashes for 60 seconds. These will occur every time the ignition is switched on. Air bag will remain off until ignition is reset even if the buckle is unlatched before ignition reset. By pushing the button on buckle it is unlatched. When ignition is switch on the air bag light will come on for a few seconds but will not flash. This denotes that the deactivation bar is installed, and the air bag is on.

Deactivation bar functionality: Buckle unlatched shows +-260 ohms across two connectors. Buckle latched shows +-2.3 k ohms. I am getting ready to remove the bar and add a switch which will produce these resistance values. I will post results.

Also install OBE Switch without removing steering. Used old pc power cables conectors, worked perfect. See images.

Chris

2000 Porsche 996 C2 Cab
Eibach springs.
Short shifter B&M.
Fabspeed Exhaust, headers.
Agency Power Rear Adj. Control Arms
Attached Images   
Old 05-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Chris996
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want to use a buckle any 996 buckle will work. By inserting your 996 buckle and holding in place will deactivate the air bag when ignition is turned on. Note: the 996 buckle will not latch and will come out but hold in place untill light stops blinking. To make the belt latch cut a 1/8" slot in front.

Chris

2000 Porsche 996 C2 Cab
Eibach springs.
Short shifter B&M.
Fabspeed Exhaust, headers.
Agency Power Rear Adj. Control Arms
Old 05-14-2007, 05:30 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the bar installed, and use the OEM buckle (removed from the strap that tethers it to the child seat) to deactivate airbag for older children. I have tried to figure out how to replace this with a simple switch in the dash (or under the seat, even).
Please post a DIY when you complete the project.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:54 AM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Try searching ppbb.com. Somewhere in that forum is a DIY to make a switch for 986. It's same for 996.
Old 05-22-2009, 03:34 AM
Mr. C4
Drifting

Chris,

How did it go with the airbag switch? Wouldbe keen to know more.

Ciao JE

Quick Reply: Air Bag Deactivation/ OBC Switch Intall