Sponsored by:

coolant flush

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 10:24 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wrljet
That is simply not true with an ABS system.
And, just WHY is it different with ABS?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:27 AM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Because in the normal steady state of the system, the valving in the ABS modulator is such fluid passes from the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders, bypassing a maze of twisty little passages in the modulator.

If the ABS is never activated there are places in there where the fluid could be sitting for years.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:48 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by wrljet
Because in the normal steady state of the system, the valving in the ABS modulator is such fluid passes from the master cylinder to the wheel cylinders, bypassing a maze of twisty little passages in the modulator.

If the ABS is never activated there are places in there where the fluid could be sitting for years.
And you can't think of a simple solution to this?
Old 05-11-2007, 10:50 AM
wrljet
Racer

Sure, get the ABS to exercise itself or use the PST2.
Old 05-11-2007, 10:54 AM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
And you can't think of a simple solution to this?
But that wasn't my point.

I was simply saying this post wasn't completely correct in the context of ABS:

If you fill the reservoir with a different color of fluid and the fluid changes color at the caliper bleeders as you pressure bleed them, you know it is flushed completely through the system.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow, I am confused now. So the PST2 opens the ABS tracts and releases old fluids?
Old 05-11-2007, 02:15 PM
evansaero
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 996 C4S
guys

My 03 996 C4S is more than 4 years old therefore I think it's time for coolant and brake fluid flush?? I went to the Porsche dealer to get the factory anti-freeze they told me I only needed 1 gallon??? However the manual states capacity almost 6 gallons?? Has anyone had coolant service done on their car and can confirm the quantity??

Thanks
Bill
1999Porsche911 is correct in saying that you only need 3 gallons of the stuff

IMHO I only like to use what porsche approves... If you go to your VW/Audi dealer you can pick up the same coolant that porsche uses and its half the price. G12 coolant (Red/pink color) from VW/audi part dept. Total cost was $58 for 3 gallons of the stuff.

The C4 holds 5.95 gallons of the coolant
Old 05-12-2007, 09:40 AM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by Tippy
Wow, I am confused now. So the PST2 opens the ABS tracts and releases old fluids?
I've tried to attach a diagram of an ABS fluid circuit. It's a Bosch system, but I don't know which one. I added a blue line to show the flow from master cylinder to caliper when the system is in the idle state.

Bill
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2007, 10:31 AM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I changed my brake fluid two years ago using a Motive Power Bleeder. http://www.motiveproducts.com/
Used instructions per shop manual. Worked like a champ. Don't forget to bleed clutch as well. It is part of the same system.

Easy
Old 05-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought the ABS just blocks the input side of the fluid with valves, when in it is in a static state, it is completly open and fluid passes right through without residual fluid trapped?
Old 05-12-2007, 03:30 PM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Just in case you're counting votes (I don't really want to debate it), I flush and fill both coolant and brake fluid every two years on my cars. Brake fluid is affected more by age than mileage, and on low mileage cars that sit a lot, its hydrophilic property can cause decay in the lines and poorer brake performance (since water doesn't behave the way brake fluid does under pressure). If your car has not had brake fluid replaced in, say, four years, I'll bet a case of beer you can feel the difference through the pedal when you do it. Seriously.

I use whatever stupid expensive Gucci performance brake fluid my indy recommends because I am an idiot. For coolant, I use Porsche's product. The reason is that it's simple, frankly. As Land Rover owners know, inadvertently mixing the wrong kinds of anti-freezes can cause the coolant to gel. I'm sure lots of you guys are smart enough to avoid this, but I just can't be bothered honestly.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:21 PM
996 C4S
Advanced

guys

Thank you all for all the info!!! I am now a bit confused with ABS PSM involvong brake flush, I thought the instruction from Renntech diy was straight forward. And it mentioned all we need is one liter for brake fluid.

As for the coolant most of you recoomend 3 gallons mixing with water for 50/50 total 6 gallons.

Do most of you really believe lifetime coolant on these cars??? Hard to accept!!

Thanks
Bill
Old 05-12-2007, 04:38 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Just follow the DYI and move on. No worries. The is no such thing as a lifetime coolant in any internal combustion engine. Leave it in long enough and your metal outlets will clog and/or the acid will eat through your engine.

Use whatever coolant is convenient for you. I use the 50/50 Peak Lifetime as it 100% compatable, saves time and is as good as and a fraction of the exaggerated price of Porsche's coolant. If you would use it in your Honda or Toyota or any other late model car, it is more than good enough for your Porsche.
Old 05-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Loren
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 996 C4S
guys

Thank you all for all the info!!! I am now a bit confused with ABS PSM involvong brake flush, I thought the instruction from Renntech diy was straight forward. And it mentioned all we need is one liter for brake fluid.

As for the coolant most of you recoomend 3 gallons mixing with water for 50/50 total 6 gallons.

Do most of you really believe lifetime coolant on these cars??? Hard to accept!!

Thanks
Bill
I personally do not open the valves in the ABS when I flush and bleed my brakes/clutch - and I own a PST2. I really don't think it is needed unless the system has had a leak and drawn in air. Or, unless you are changing to a synthetic brake fluid - where you really do want to replace "all" the fluid in the system.

The coolant question and discussion can go on forever - I think if your system has been kept closed and is not contaminated in any way - then your coolant likely does not need to be changed for maybe 100,000 miles. This newer organic coolant is very good stuff. All this IMHO of course...
Old 05-13-2007, 12:18 AM
munro86
Racer

What "newer organic coolant" doest thou refer Loren?

Quick Reply: coolant flush