996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Replacing the top on an '01 cab 996?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 05:27 PM
yizzung
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing the top on an '01 cab 996?

Hi. First post here... I just bought a 2001 cabriolet 996 and the top is a bit beat up. It's functional, but the fabric is gray and partially discolored (from sunlight). In addition to that, the plastic window is very cloudy and (the worst part) is that near the top of the plastic window, it's slightly separating from the fabric. I know that the window zips in and out but it looks like the previous owner tried to "fix" the separation by having it glued together. It doesn't leak but it's kinda botched and it's not pretty to look at.

In any case, I'm thinking that a total replacement is the optimal fix. By replacing the fabric and the glass, I eliminate the discolored top and the glued/separating window. I have also seen some resale tops for sale in the $1,200-1,500 range that have an actual glass window. It looks like they accomplish glass (instead of plastic) by halving the height of the window so the top can fold properly when down.

I searched the forum but couldn't find any posts on this topic. Has anyone replaced the top on a 996 cab who can offer some advice? Did you go 3rd-party or OEM? Has anyone made the switch from plastic to glass? Any issues (e.g. visibility)? Is this a DIY or is it pretty involved? (I assume DIY since they sell replacements on eBay...) I'm not too worried about color matching b/c I will probably just go with black. (My 996 is silver with gray interior.) Any recommended vendors out there? Lastly, is it worth trying to salvage my current, original top? I have not taken it anywhere to have it examined...

Thanks in advance! This will surely not be my last post...
Old 05-08-2007, 05:54 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GAHH sells a glass window soft top for the pre-facelift 996 Cab (99-01) for $1,750, compromising on the size of the window. The 02 and later (996 facelift) soft top will not fit on your car.
Attached Images  
Old 05-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i always wonder how one would place in a glass for the pre-facelift ones....... because the very top of the soft one have to fold in order to get into the cab........is there a cheaper alternative?
Old 05-08-2007, 07:55 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Couple of things:

1. The window does not "zip in". That zipper, as I understand it, is there for original installation of the window/top only.

2. As someone already pointed out, you cannot buy a used top with a glass window to fit your model car.

3. I replaced my top (MY00) after the glue seam separated at the window. Choice was an OEM top for $5K or a top by the same manufacturer .... but not OEM .... for $3K. Both prices included installation at a shop recommended by Hennessy Porsche in Atlanta. I went with the $3K option. It is identical to the original in every way except for one GOOD difference. It is stitched around the rear window, in addition to the glue job.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
yizzung
Advanced

Thanks, folks.

Yes, Kim. I believe I have the same problem that you had. It appears as though the glue seam has partially separated at the very top of the plastic window, on the outside. It also looks like the previous owner tried a re-glue job that didn't turn out so great.

Does anyone have experience with the GAHH top shown above? It looks fantastic in the pics but is the quality good up close and in person? Does it hold up well to the elements? I definitely prefer the look of the glass, even though the window is clearly smaller than the OEM plastic... Has anyone tried to install one or is this better left to the pros?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:24 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by yizzung
Does anyone have experience with the GAHH top shown above? It looks fantastic in the pics but is the quality good up close and in person? ... Has anyone tried to install one or is this better left to the pros?
Yves in Atlanta bought the first one I heard about. As I remember, he went through a couple of installations before they got it right. Something about them still beta testing with his top. Don't know if he ended up happy.

I watched some of the installation of my new top. It is definitely a job for professionals .... who have experience with 996 cabs .... a very complex operation. You only have to sit in the car and watch the top go up and down to see how complex it is.

Quick Reply: Replacing the top on an '01 cab 996?