Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Roll bar and wind diffuser in 996 cab for DE?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 03:40 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roll bar and wind diffuser in 996 cab for DE?

I might be catching the track bug. For those that run their cabs in DEs, is there a roll bar which either:
1) allows use of the wind diffuser, or
2) can be easily installed and removed for DEs.

From a search it looks like the Tequipment and DAS roll bars are quite popular, but it seems like neither 1) nor 2) are possible which would kind of leave me stuck for the rest of the time with a windy/noisy top down ride.

While I'm at it, I think I am correct that to drive in DEs (in addition to the fixed roll bar), I can use the stock seats and stock 3 point belts, and I do not need a fire extinguisher. Is that right?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:54 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For DEs, some chapters and tracks require roll bar, others do not. In my case, Nord Stern chapter and Brainerd Int'l Raceway do not require roll bar for 996 Cab since it has the pop-ups behind rear seats. They do require that you run with top up and they also encourage use of hard top if you have one. Check with your local chapter and track.

Normal rule on seats/belt is equivalent restraints - same set-up for driver and passenger. Fire extinguishers are not required, at least in my chapter.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:24 PM
hwk72
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Macho Belly is right; car club- and track rules apply. I've luck at my "home" track Summit Point that I don't need a roll-bar and non of the clubs I run with require a roll-bar or a fire extinguisher either. I went with and w/o hard-top to the track. However, if your club/track requires either roll-bar or hard-top, then the hard-top has the advantage that you can easily put in on and off for your track events.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:43 PM
bstaneland
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely check with your local chapter of the PCA. You can do so at www.pca.org and click "regional directory" and so on. You should be able to get to a website for your regional chapter. For example, the Florida Citrus Region (in my area) even has downloadable rules and regulations which includes specific info on 996 cab entries. The FCR says I have to either run a roll bar or the hard top.

I just finished researching the exact same thing you are looking into, and this is how I got all my answers.
Old 05-08-2007, 05:49 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Pop-ups are becoming less and less allowed across the country. They will NOT protect you in a high speed rollover. NOBODY out here is allowing CAB's to run without a rollbar. The bar is a perm thing. You will not be able to use your wind deflector. Another thing......you should have PROPER seats and harnesses if you are running a rollbar. 3-point belts and a rollbar is dangerous.

There are a few guys here that run the Tequipment Rollabar in their CAB and remove it after each event. It is a PITA but can be done. I woudn't rec'd it.
Old 05-08-2007, 08:30 PM
smackboy1
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

NNJR-PCA is actually fine with cabs running with just the stock pop up anti-roll devices, but it seems a lot of tracks and/or non-PCA organizations require fixed roll bars passing the broomstick test.

Originally Posted by LVDell
Another thing......you should have PROPER seats and harnesses if you are running a rollbar. 3-point belts and a rollbar is dangerous.
Hey Dell, is "3 point belt + rollbar = danger" a banned setup at tracks and DEs or is it a recommended safe practice but not a requirement? Is it a danger when on the track and wearing helmet, or is it a danger when driving around town and not wearing a helmet? Is this why US bound GT3s don't have the roll bars? Is there anyway to mitigate the danger e.g. padded bra... er, I mean, padded bar Cost/benefit might not justify getting 2 new seats, roll bar, harnesses. Might have to either give up tracking the cab or trade for a coupe/targa.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:53 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

rec'd safe but not req'd. not as bad with a helmet but still, you don't want your body moving around inthe cabin should anything happen with all that rollbar acting as a pinball machine. That is where the 6pts and proper seats come in to help.

Quick Reply: Roll bar and wind diffuser in 996 cab for DE?