Sponsored by:

New Rims, New Wobble

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 01:24 AM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Default New Rims, New Wobble

I just put on some new 18" 5-spoke rims I got from Wheel Dynamics. (Carlos is very knowledgeable and helpful, by the way). However, my steering wheel now wobbles / shakes at all speeds. I didn't have this with my 17" rims. (The tires are sumitomos, if that makes a difference).

My car is going in to the shop for some serious plastic surgery this week (including full Ruf body kit and RoW suspension + 4 wheel alignment), but I wanted to know if I should point them to likely culprits for the wobble.

Any help would be appreciated. Oh and
Collection wreck crash customer car 15 year old daughter collection, porsche, wreck, crash, technician, florida, won't help, mean, porsche, ferrari, audi, bad, wreck, crash, collection, porsche, technician, florida. Collection wreck crash customer car 15 year old daughter collection, porsche, wreck, crash, technician, florida, won't help, mean, porsche, ferrari, audi, bad, wreck, crash, collection, porsche, technician, florida. Collection wreck crash customer car 15 year old daughter collection, porsche, wreck, crash, technician, florida, won't help, mean, porsche, ferrari, audi, bad, wreck, crash, collection, porsche, technician, florida.

-td
Old 05-06-2007, 02:01 AM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by td873
I just put on some new 18" 5-spoke rims I got from Wheel Dynamics. (Carlos is very knowledgeable and helpful, by the way). However, my steering wheel now wobbles / shakes at all speeds. I didn't have this with my 17" rims. (The tires are sumitomos, if that makes a difference).

My car is going in to the shop for some serious plastic surgery this week (including full Ruf body kit and RoW suspension + 4 wheel alignment), but I wanted to know if I should point them to likely culprits for the wobble.

Collection wreck crash customer car 15 year old daughter collection, porsche, wreck, crash, technician, florida, won't help, mean, porsche, ferrari, audi, bad, wreck, crash, collection, porsche, technician, florida. Collection wreck crash customer car 15 year old daughter collection, porsche, wreck, crash, technician, florida, won't help, mean, porsche, ferrari, audi, bad, wreck, crash, collection, porsche, technician, florida. Collection wreck crash customer car 15 year old daughter collection, porsche, wreck, crash, technician, florida, won't help, mean, porsche, ferrari, audi, bad, wreck, crash, collection, porsche, technician, florida.

-td
Sumitomo's? yech.....the balance is the issue....also those are knockoffs are they hubcentric? Did they send them to you balanced? Or just mounted? I would have a balance done on them and see if that helps.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:12 AM
Duffs4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your steering wheel is shaking I would guess your front wheels are not balanced.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:20 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by newport996
Sumitomo's? yech.....the balance is the issue....also those are knockoffs are they hubcentric? Did they send them to you balanced? Or just mounted? I would have a balance done on them and see if that helps.
+1 if they're replicas, check if they're hubcentric. Even if they are, sometimes replicas aren't constructed in a consistent manner and will require multiple weights and counterweights that will eventually cause wobble.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:52 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by td873

-td

Either the balancing wasn't done right - a quick fix at a tire shop, or the wheels were not mounted on the car snugly, a quick fix for yourself if you have a floor jack and 20 mins.

Whether OEM or replica wheels - the final balancing with tire fitted, will get you a smoothly balanced wheel when done correctly.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:23 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

If you can find a shop that has the Hunter 9700 tire balancing machine, that would help also. It does road-force balancing w/ the tire mounted.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:52 PM
michael.s.under
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a steering wheel wobble and it was simply due to balancing issues on the tires.
Old 05-08-2007, 10:08 PM
gittledog
Advanced

-td
Nice wheels

Quick Reply: New Rims, New Wobble