Sponsored by:

What did I do? HU problems...

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 10:09 PM
Glenn
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What did I do? HU problems...

I installed my Alpine head unit today - it sounds fantastic. Like night and day versus the stock setup. That is, until I start the car. Then there is a horrible buzz coming from the speakers.

Not kind of annoying - its loud. Doesn't exist until the car turns over.

Any ideas? May need to take it to someone that has a clue - versus me.
Thanks
Old 05-05-2007, 10:14 PM
joes c4 cab
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Sounds like a possible grounding problem. Make sure you have a solid ground since you will only get strong electrical interference when the alternator is spinning.

Barring that, you can try an engine noise filter from Radio Shack.

Unusual problem though. Good luck.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Glenn
Racer

Hmm - I had to cut the wires to take all negative leads for the 4 channels from the HU and combine to the common ground for the stock amp. I wonder if I should have just ground the common ground from the amp instead of connecting to the 4 negative speaker leads.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 PM
newport996
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Huh??? You connected your radio ground to the negative speaker wires? DONT......your power wires and speaker wires should be COMPLETELY seperate......
Old 05-06-2007, 01:03 AM
signal
Racer

Also there is a nice harness to connect your alpine HU to the stock system/amp, so this should have been like a very easy install, no cutting or splicing of wires needed.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 AM
Glenn
Racer

Yeah - thats what the Metra rep said. Nope! The plug coming from the amp didn't work. That includes the positive leads for all four channels, one negative lead for the four channels (common ground), and a switched lead. All of which needed to be cut and soldered.

Newport996 - I didn't connect the ground from the radio to the negative speakers, I connected the common negative amp input (1 wire for all four channels) to the 4 negative line outs from the HU. Should (or can I even) just ground the negative common input to the chassis?
Old 05-06-2007, 11:49 AM
signal
Racer

Glenn,

I have the stock amp, and metra 70-1787 pefectly mates it. There is no soldering. Its the same connector that plugs into the becker. On one end is the connector for your Amp "triple pod" connector. And on the other end is dual RCA outputs, and a quick connect for the remote amp turn on. Its plug and play.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:30 AM
Glenn
Racer

So - I pulled the HU yesterday and figured out (D'oh) that I'd pinched the illumination wire and had grounded it to the cage. Make sense as I had problems with dahs lights on Saturday as well. Now all works great. I really can't believe how much of a difference changing out the Becker for an Alpine has made. I'm satisfied without switching up the amp or the speakers - for now. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:42 AM
arr0gant
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Just throw the car away!

Quick Reply: What did I do? HU problems...