Sponsored by:

How to do a before and after of Plenum

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 07:27 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to do a before and after of Plenum

Ok I ordered the plenum today. There are over 20 orders for the group buy.

Any suggestions on how to do a before and after test without a Dyno? Or should I just trust the seat of my Pants?
Old 05-05-2007, 10:47 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Received 39 Likes on 11 Posts

A seat of your pants test is probably more accurate, satisfying and will help you more easily justify your investment.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:55 AM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Make a few runs at a drag strip before and after. If that's not practical you can set up a course on a road that sees very little traffic. Use an object for a "start" and another for a "finish". The distance between these points should be long enough that you can measure time with a stop watch or speed at the second marker with a GPS. You should make several runs and record the results. I would recommend trying different things such as approaching the first marker in 4th gear at 30 MPH and when even with it accelerating as rapidly as possible and if necessary shifting at 7k into the next gear and having a passenger measuring speed and time. Try different speeds and possibly different distances. If doing several runs the same, the results should be very close. Keep track and compare results. Make sure you record and wind and temperatures, humidity etc. as these can make a difference.

Have fun!
Old 05-06-2007, 01:04 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Steve, I'm part of the group buy also. I have a G-tech performance meter. I have previously measured my 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. I plan on doing it again after the plenum to see the difference. You might see if you can borrow one from a fellow Rennlister in your area.
Old 05-07-2007, 03:25 PM
SteveFromMN
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the ideas. I just remembered I have a first generation G-tech in a box somewhere.
Maybe I can figure out how to employ it to do a test. I don't want to do 0-60 or quarter mile type test because the start off the line introduces to many variances. Maybe I can use a rolling test from 60 to 80 or something I can do on the hyway that would be semi legal.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:19 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by nick49
Make a few runs at a drag strip before and after. If that's not practical you can set up a course on a road that sees very little traffic. Use an object for a "start" and another for a "finish". The distance between these points should be long enough that you can measure time with a stop watch or speed at the second marker with a GPS. You should make several runs and record the results. I would recommend trying different things such as approaching the first marker in 4th gear at 30 MPH and when even with it accelerating as rapidly as possible and if necessary shifting at 7k into the next gear and having a passenger measuring speed and time. Try different speeds and possibly different distances. If doing several runs the same, the results should be very close. Keep track and compare results. Make sure you record and wind and temperatures, humidity etc. as these can make a difference.

Have fun!
are you serious? or perhaps superhuman?

the difference is going to be in the tenths of a second, if not the thousandsths and to have a 'normal' human being so heavily involved in such a test is a sure fire guarantee that the inputs are not consistent. And as you are suggesting two humans be involved.......
Old 05-07-2007, 06:35 PM
996CABOVA
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do a run w a buddy side by side in same gears wo the Plenum. See the results. Then do a run same scenerio w the Plenum and see the results. If its pulling alot more then I would say its a good investment
Old 05-07-2007, 06:37 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Nothing like a good old fashioned before and after dyno test.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:55 PM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

The only porblem I have with the dyno is $$$. The G-tech test is free (unless you get caught doing the 1/4 mile run) and with a tiptronic the times are fairly consistent.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ray S
Nothing like a good old fashioned before and after dyno test....
To prove absolutely nothing!
Old 05-07-2007, 10:00 PM
spiderv6
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

so are we all agreed then?

Dynos are a waste of time and trying to prove this without a dyno is ridiculous

Sorted!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:09 PM
Orient Express
Three Wheelin'

Default Why does it seem that

This:

and this:

Have the same parents?
Old 05-08-2007, 12:32 AM
adybuncio
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After installing them on, drive the car hard, it takes a few miles before the ecu recognizes the mod. Drive it like you stole it, then you will notice that your mid range power has increased and its a lot more smoother on the throttle and better response.

You will get a lot of negative feed back on this forum and just like any new product, when they get a chance to try one out they will look back and say damn, wish I new better. There are a lot of heels, but there is nothing we can do about them. They just have to try if for themselves to learn.

Best mods for more power as old school mods, intake dosent do anyting it the throttle body and intake sucks, basically its like a bottle neck, you want as much air in the engine, but the engine can only take so much in.
Old 05-08-2007, 11:32 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Orient Express
This:

<<picture>>

and this:

<<picture>>

Have the same parents?

Hey - don't forget to put on that K&N air filter for even more performance improvements!

Michael
Old 05-08-2007, 11:44 AM
washington dc porsche
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA! Actually, plenum replacements aren't new, not even for Porsche. The problem for me is that the same quality part I see for Mustangs are $169 vs our $765. This one for the 996 is the only applications I've seen that has no recommendation of changing the thottle body as well.

Originally Posted by Orient Express
This:

and this:

Have the same parents?

Quick Reply: How to do a before and after of Plenum