PPI for CPO?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 07:59 PM
BrandX
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PPI for CPO?

Guys,

I'm finally getting close to purchasing, and I've decided that I need to buy a CPO car for the security blanket. I probably already know the answer to this, but do you think that a PPI is required for a CPO car? Are CPOs typically cars that are in really good shape to start with?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:49 PM
CLL ACAB
Addict
Rennlist Member

Assuming the CPO will cover any mechanical issues, at a minimum I would have it inspected by a body shop for paint work and other repairs. There was a guy on one board who had a CPO car and was having trouble selling it because of some paint work that was not disclosed. Lastly, check the tire wear. Mine probably should have included new tires, but I didn't notice. Also, ask for the service history and a report of Type 1 and Type 2 over-rev's. This info is easy to get.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:55 AM
smichael
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If too much trouble to bring it somewhere else before you buy, bring it to another Porsche dealer the "day after". If they find anything wrong that should have been fixed in the certification process you can now pressure the original dealer into a fix based on their sloppy (or perhaps purposeful mis-diagnosis) work and the new unbiased PPI write-up.

I did this and got the selling dealer to replace the RMS and clutch that they assured me was "just fine" per their certification process before the sale.

Do it quick before they can say any of the wear was your fault and while you have leverage over them with Porsche NA for not doing the certification correctly (potentially leaving Porsche NA on the hook for a failure of one of the covered parts that fail during the warrantee period but was already below standard and should have been replaced before Porsche NA granted the certification's warrantee)
Old 05-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Irksome
Racer

My personal feeling is 'never trust a dealer'. I'd get an independent PPI even if it was CPO'd.

Don't hang too much significance on the CPO, though, you can get equivalent coverage by purchasing a 3rd party service contract. Do a search here for 'warranty' or 'service contract', lots of discussions have been had on this one. You can get more miles and longer time than a CPO, too.

My purchase experience showed that the dealer markup over private party was greater than the cost of the extended warranty, by far. My car had a twin for sale at a dealer at +$12,000, my warranty cost $3800.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:30 AM
Macho Belly
Instructor

If you buy CPO from a private owner (warranty transfers upon private party sale) then you should get a PPI. Also, if buying from a Porsche dealer, make sure you understand whether they recently certified the car themselves or it was certified as part of a previous sale. In other words, Porsche dealer could have certified it for previous owner and it would carry over to you.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:52 PM
BrandX
Instructor

Thanks Guys,

The CPO sale fell through. I ended up buying this one instead. I'm flying from Vancouver to Chicago this evening to pick it up tomorrow morning. Then it's ROAD TRIP TIME!

I got a PPI done at Barrington's (p car dealer) and other than a couple of items (horn and pollen filter - since fixed, tires and alignment - also done), the car passed with flying colours.

Anyway, I'll try to post some pics from the road. Wish me luck - I am so f^*&ing pumped right now.

Quick Reply: PPI for CPO?