Sponsored by:

CPO'ed from a private seller??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 02:12 AM
exophthalmos
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Irksome
God I wish. My car was purchased in late April 2003, and was advertised as under warranty when I bought it on March 1. When the PPI came back, however, it was pointed out by the dealer doing the PPI that the warranty began when the car was put in service in January 2003 (probably as a demo, or a sale that fell thru). The first owner had signed a waiver for the January warranty start, and the second owner claimed to be ignorant of this fact.

Because of that, on March 13 when my car blew it's RMS, I got to pay for it myself. heh.
How can a car be put "IN SERVICE" when it hasn't been bought off the lot? Am I missing something?
ps. sorry about the trouble that you had to go through, especially when the car was only bought less than 2 wks ago...
Old 05-01-2007, 07:45 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by exophthalmos
I thought the warranty starts on the day the car was purchased...
see response below....

God I wish. My car was purchased in late April 2003, and was advertised as under warranty when I bought it on March 1. When the PPI came back, however, it was pointed out by the dealer doing the PPI that the warranty began when the car was put in service in January 2003 (probably as a demo, or a sale that fell thru). The first owner had signed a waiver for the January warranty start, and the second owner claimed to be ignorant of this fact.

Because of that, on March 13 when my car blew it's RMS, I got to pay for it myself. heh.
So, then you bought a used car and were the second or third owner of a previously TITLED car and did NO RESEARCH into the in-service date????? Regardless, the 4yr/50K warranty ALWAYS starts on the in-service date (ie, the date it is first purchased for title). After that, the CPO is either 2yr/100K total miles at the conclusion of the 4/50 if you are still under the factory warranty and just a straight 2yr/100K total mile from the date YOU purchase it if the original warranty is already expired.

FYI.....you can look at ANY paperwork from the service department for the car and it specifically states the in-service date (hopefully you had some history on the car to look at prior to purchase). And.....there is NO WAY for an in-service date to start BEFORE the car is purchased and there is NO WARRANTY WAIVER the customer can sign to waive that. Sorry you had to pay for a RMS but sounds like you didn't do your due dilligence and just took the word of a car saleman.
Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by LVDell
sounds like you didn't do your due dilligence and just took the word of a car saleman.
Dang 'nabit! I am sensing a really bad pattern here. Are you guys trying to tell me that some car salesmen may not tell me the truth, or mislead me, or shade the facts, just to sell me a car??!?!?!?!?! Holy crap!

Next thing I know, you're going to tell me that my 996 doesn't even have a real V12 in it! I paid extra for the "Viper power" option, a lot extra! And don't even get me started on the paint protection warranty or the special leather treatment that I'm still paying off.

My friends told me the same thing - not to trust my salesman. But I said, hey, anyone that has the styling sense to wear white shoes wouldn't lie to me.

Michael
Old 05-01-2007, 10:14 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJBird993
And don't even get me started on the paint protection warranty or the special leather treatment that I'm still paying off.
Did you get the rustproof undercoating? If so, did they mention anything about something called cosmoline???
Old 05-01-2007, 10:32 AM
Irksome
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

see response below....

So, then you bought a used car and were the second or third owner of a previously TITLED car and did NO RESEARCH into the in-service date????? Regardless, the 4yr/50K warranty ALWAYS starts on the in-service date (ie, the date it is first purchased for title). After that, the CPO is either 2yr/100K total miles at the conclusion of the 4/50 if you are still under the factory warranty and just a straight 2yr/100K total mile from the date YOU purchase it if the original warranty is already expired.

FYI.....you can look at ANY paperwork from the service department for the car and it specifically states the in-service date (hopefully you had some history on the car to look at prior to purchase). And.....there is NO WAY for an in-service date to start BEFORE the car is purchased and there is NO WARRANTY WAIVER the customer can sign to waive that. Sorry you had to pay for a RMS but sounds like you didn't do your due dilligence and just took the word of a car saleman.
Wow, the last thing I want to do is argue with Dell, I've seen what happens to those that do that...

But...

The in-service date on the car in Porsche's records is early January, 2003. The first owner purchased the car on April 23, 2003. There is a signed document I have personally seen attesting to the in-service date being different than the purchase date, and the original owner agreeing to that. I didn't press too hard as to why, but the explanation I was given was that it was used as a demo.

Also, there was no dealer salesman involved, this was a private party purchase, and I was using the closest dealer to do a PPI. Since that is also where the car was purchased originally, I was able to see original paperwork on the deal. I also pulled Carfax on it prior to going to see it.

Regardless of WHY it is, I did understand the situation before I pulled the trigger on the deal. I knew full well I was flying without a net, and was researching a 3rd party warranty. Unfortunately, I had a significant (but not the end of the world) event before I got the warranty in place. I have one now, so all is good for any future trouble.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:58 AM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Wow, the last thing I want to do is argue with Dell, I've seen what happens to those that do that...

But...

The in-service date on the car in Porsche's records is early January, 2003. The first owner purchased the car on April 23, 2003. There is a signed document I have personally seen attesting to the in-service date being different than the purchase date, and the original owner agreeing to that. I didn't press too hard as to why, but the explanation I was given was that it was used as a demo.

Also, there was no dealer salesman involved, this was a private party purchase, and I was using the closest dealer to do a PPI. Since that is also where the car was purchased originally, I was able to see original paperwork on the deal. I also pulled Carfax on it prior to going to see it.

Regardless of WHY it is, I did understand the situation before I pulled the trigger on the deal. I knew full well I was flying without a net, and was researching a 3rd party warranty. Unfortunately, I had a significant (but not the end of the world) event before I got the warranty in place. I have one now, so all is good for any future trouble.

Irky....what I was trying to explain (not just to you but the others curious about CPO, in-service, etc) is exactly how the in-service date works. Some of y'all really act like a bunch of scared babies when somebody tells you what the right thing is or what you did wrong. Nobody said, you screwed up, nobody said you were an idiot for not checking into it. Nobody said they wanted to argue with you. Why is the skin so thin in this forum now?

Listen, the car has to be sold to start the in-service date. Demo cars are used cars and owned by the dealer as a first owner car not a high mileage new car. That's why the in-service date started ahead of time. Just trying to give you the facts. Relax.

ps. just be glad it was only a RMS. Those are less than 1K and more of a rite of passage in 996 ownership. However, they should have good-willed that IMHO since it was such a confusing mess regarding the in-service date. Happy Motoring.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:21 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We love ya dearly Dell.... just remember that some (one might even say the average person) find your honesty a touch, well... honest on occasion. Keep it up.
Thought you'd gotten used to it by now?

Nobody said, you screwed up, nobody said you were an idiot for not checking into it. Nobody said they wanted to argue with you. Why is the skin so thin in this forum now?
Old 05-01-2007, 05:25 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mxdave74

We love ya dearly Dell.... just remember that some (one might even say the average person) find your honesty a touch, well... honest on occasion. Keep it up.
Thought you'd gotten used to it by now?
So true Dave.I don't know what I was thinking being honest with people instead of sugar coating it

I think of myself as the Dr. Phil of the 996 board. I'll look out for ya. I'll want the best for ya. I'll get ya the best answer. and of course.....I'll make sure it is given in a tough love format
Old 05-01-2007, 05:32 PM
mxdave74
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dr. Phil wears pantys... you wear boxers or briefs
Old 05-01-2007, 05:37 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, I am boxers guy. He is a panty wearing fool. Never really cared for him but I do agree with his style
Old 05-01-2007, 11:18 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, I am boxers guy. He is a panty wearing fool. Never really cared for him but I do agree with his style
Dell, we all know you wear panties because your car (the Cab) has skirts!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:23 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey, I hear no mention of thongs - stand up for thongs!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:24 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by gota911
Dell, we all know you wear panties because your car (the Cab) has skirts!
That would be the wifeys car and I'm not getting into the panties of choice for her. Let's just say it let to the subject of my other thread

Quick Reply: CPO'ed from a private seller??