996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Just did the RSS Intake Plenum and...

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007 | 11:37 AM
Tippy
Race Car

Originally Posted by Electric Lizard
What I cannot understand regarding this is: If the substantial performance enhancements are so easily available, why didn't Porsche simply change the shape of the stock plenum? Is the RSS R&D staff really that much smarter than Porsche's? Do they have significantly more resources to pour into improving the performance of a product they don't sell tens of thousands of? When the entire Porsche mystique is wrapped around performance (e.g. I would be considerably less skeptical if RSS was offering a better cup holder)?

I will grant that it is possible that a bolt-on product could offer the kinds of gains RSS claims, but one of my personal mantras to live by is: "Fantastic claims require fantastic evidence".
The biggest gains were below peak, so it is not a 330 hp engine, rather a 307 peak hp motor with a nice hp boost in the midrange.
Old 04-28-2007 | 11:38 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

ArneeA.....is this possibly what you were trying to link to??
Old 04-28-2007 | 11:40 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Tippy
The biggest gains were below peak, so it is not a 330 hp engine, rather a 307 peak hp motor with a nice hp boost in the midrange.
.....right where it is needed for normal driving!
Old 04-28-2007 | 11:44 AM
ArneeA
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZX9RCAM
ArneeA.....is this possibly what you were trying to link to??
Yeah, that's the one.
Old 04-28-2007 | 01:06 PM
Melchior
Pro

Why not make this plenum out of plastic like the OEM one. It can be made cheaper, provide the same results (+/- 1-2 hp) and could be sold like hot cakes. Bring the cost down to a reasonable $200 and everyone would buy one. I just don't see the need to make one out of metal unless you are using it in conjuction with a supercharger or expect to be in the .1% group that gets an engine fire and at that point, who cares? Someone on this list must know how to make injection plastic parts!
Old 04-28-2007 | 01:23 PM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Originally Posted by Melchior
Why not make this plenum out of plastic like the OEM one. It can be made cheaper, provide the same results (+/- 1-2 hp) and could be sold like hot cakes. Bring the cost down to a reasonable $200 and everyone would buy one. I just don't see the need to make one out of metal unless you are using it in conjuction with a supercharger or expect to be in the .1% group that gets an engine fire and at that point, who cares? Someone on this list must know how to make injection plastic parts!
Casting such a part, once the core boxes and patterns are made, should only cost around $50 each, then maybe $100 in machining. What you are paying for is engineering time, research and development, marketing, tooling costs etc. There is also the cost of scrap which always is a factor.

The tooling for injection molding a part like this [in plastic] may cost upwards of $70K. Certainly this is reason for casting these in Aluminum. There are over 600 casting houses in California alone, so finding one locally is pretty easy.

Please remember, your not just paying for materials

Quick Reply: Just did the RSS Intake Plenum and...