Sponsored by:

Rolled through a stop sign...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 06:50 PM
flash80
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
I'm sorry guys, but I'm always amazed when I read these posts from folks who openly admit they were speeding, ran a stopsign, had an open container, had been drinking, or violated some section of the vehicle code....and come here asking the collective audience for how to beat the rap.

I realize that I'm probably going to get a bunch of hate mail...but the fact remains that you are issued a license as a priviledge to drive...and are expected to obey the various laws that go along with being a responsible driver. When you speed, blow a stop, get ****-faced... or violate whatever section of the vehicle code....it pains me to see everyone jump in and offer suggestions on how to beat the law. If you play, you pay; simple as that. That is not to say that you can't use the constitutional rights afforded to you. To me, your best legitimate opportunity for beating the rap exists when the cop walks up to your car. At that point, he/she has a certain degree of discretion to issue the citation or not, and your demeanor and interaction with him/her is your best shot. That's your chance. After that, unless you have truly been singled out for an unfair reason, or you were subjected to a technological hiccup (equipment not calibrated right or improperly used) you have only one course of action; and that is to show up in court and hope that the Traffic God smiles upon you and the officer doesn't show up.....The rest of this is really just a collection of anecdotal examples of how to beat the system....a system you knowingly violated. Over time I have read all sorts of comments about the F*****G cops, what A$$holes they are etc. Yes, there are cops who are all of that...just as there are drivers who are overly aggressive, impolite, inconsiderate, profane, flat-out dangerous on the road....or, to use the vernacular of the day...drivers who are similarly A$$holes and *********. I know that there will be a litany of "yeah but how about when....." or "I was stopped for nothing but a ...." or "You should have seen what this ******** cop did..." I'm not talking about the instances of abuse of authority, or deliberate singling out of a driver for reasons other than a legitimate violation, or a violation of a driver's constitutional rights.

The Constitution gives you certain rights that you can exercise...due process, right to remain silent, right to post bail, and right to an attorney, right to a speedy trial, right to be taken to a magistrate, and probably more that I can't think of. So...if you end up getting nailed, then those are your rights....and I guess if you want to go into court and fabricate a story or impune your integrity...that's your option...but it's not a constitutional right. You never lose your integrity, you deliberately throw it away. The defenses and constitutional guarantees are set up to protect the innocent...not accomodate the guilty. Most of what I've been reading on how to beat a rap is designed to accomodate the guilty. I think the easiest way to stay out of court, is not put yourself in a postion of having to defend yourself in the first place. Back to the age old adage....If you play, you pay.

I sat here for quite a while wondering if I had the ***** to push the transmit key...almost deleted this post several times...but what the hell. I figure if some of you folks can give your opinions on how to beat a rap, I guess I have just as much "right" to give my take on all this.
While I understand your point about the privilege of driving, some laws (or the method in which they are enforced) are ridiculous. Sure, doing 150 on public roads is unreasonable. But when cops are out there busting our b*lls for no reason, this is when I get annoyed. I know that cops in some areas don't have a lot of crime to fight, but I live in LA. There are murders and assaults happening constantly (the local news is really quite depressing). Traffic tickets are primarily for generating revenue (just like parking tickets). I once got sniped by one of those photo light contraptions at 3 AM. Do you think that this polaroid is making the intersection safer? It's just cheaper and more profitable to atomate the process. Why do we have required front license plates in California? To facilitate these photo ticket machines. It all comes down to money.

The judicial system is flawed as well. You can spout all the patriotic, constitutional rhetoric you want, but everyone in the system is trying to take advantage of it. If you have the resources, then you might as well fight. Is it fair that if you're innocent on a traffic violation that you automatically lose if the cop shows up?

Anyway, for $75, I'd just go to traffic school, get the violation off of my record and move on. A day wasted in court is worth more than $75 to me. But if you can't go to traffic school, then I'd go to court and try to get it off my record.

Good luck!
Old 04-24-2007, 06:59 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sorry guys, but I'm always amazed when I read these posts from folks who openly admit they were speeding, ran a stopsign, had an open container, had been drinking, or violated some section of the vehicle code....and come here asking the collective audience for how to beat the rap.

I realize that I'm probably going to get a bunch of hate mail...but the fact remains that you are issued a license as a priviledge to drive...and are expected to obey the various laws that go along with being a responsible driver. When you speed, blow a stop, get ****-faced... or violate whatever section of the vehicle code....it pains me to see everyone jump in and offer suggestions on how to beat the law. If you play, you pay; simple as that. That is not to say that you can't use the constitutional rights afforded to you. To me, your best legitimate opportunity for beating the rap exists when the cop walks up to your car. At that point, he/she has a certain degree of discretion to issue the citation or not, and your demeanor and interaction with him/her is your best shot. That's your chance. After that, unless you have truly been singled out for an unfair reason, or you were subjected to a technological hiccup (equipment not calibrated right or improperly used) you have only one course of action; and that is to show up in court and hope that the Traffic God smiles upon you and the officer doesn't show up.....The rest of this is really just a collection of anecdotal examples of how to beat the system....a system you knowingly violated. Over time I have read all sorts of comments about the F*****G cops, what A$$holes they are etc. Yes, there are cops who are all of that...just as there are drivers who are overly aggressive, impolite, inconsiderate, profane, flat-out dangerous on the road....or, to use the vernacular of the day...drivers who are similarly A$$holes and *********. I know that there will be a litany of "yeah but how about when....." or "I was stopped for nothing but a ...." or "You should have seen what this ******** cop did..." I'm not talking about the instances of abuse of authority, or deliberate singling out of a driver for reasons other than a legitimate violation, or a violation of a driver's constitutional rights.

The Constitution gives you certain rights that you can exercise...due process, right to remain silent, right to post bail, and right to an attorney, right to a speedy trial, right to be taken to a magistrate, and probably more that I can't think of. So...if you end up getting nailed, then those are your rights....and I guess if you want to go into court and fabricate a story or impune your integrity...that's your option...but it's not a constitutional right. You never lose your integrity, you deliberately throw it away. The defenses and constitutional guarantees are set up to protect the innocent...not accomodate the guilty. Most of what I've been reading on how to beat a rap is designed to accomodate the guilty. I think the easiest way to stay out of court, is not put yourself in a postion of having to defend yourself in the first place. Back to the age old adage....If you play, you pay.

I sat here for quite a while wondering if I had the ***** to push the transmit key...almost deleted this post several times...but what the hell. I figure if some of you folks can give your opinions on how to beat a rap, I guess I have just as much "right" to give my take on all this.
Although I feel opposite, who wouldnt want a lesser charge or charges dropped all together in his or anyones position when the law comes down on you. Its human nature to want to feel less disciplined in these situations, but I do have to say one thing, that was one hell of a write-up Chuck!
Old 04-24-2007, 07:03 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going to court to try to keep your insurance rates down is not "beating the law". It is your right to work within the law and gives you a chance to potentially use their rules and policies to your advantage. The original post did not disparage police officers or the court system and did not condone lying about what happened. If the cop shows up, you will pay your fine AND court costs, so there's no guilt for giving it a try. Until they are able to reduce bogus claims and lower insurance rates, I see nothing wrong with doing what it takes to keep your out of pocket ownership costs as low as is legally possible. Use the extra $$ for mods, tires, gas, beer, whatever...

GO TO COURT OR DO AN ONLINE DRIVER'S ED PROGRAM IF IT IS AVAILABLE WHERE YOU LIVE (as long as it keeps the ticket off of your insurance)
Old 04-24-2007, 07:11 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Ever considered just going to court and telling all the facts,--you rolled through because of a temporary technical shortcoming in your car? As I recall the process, they will ask whether you plead guilty or not based upon "did you do what the officer says you did?" If the anser is , "yes, but..." they consider that guilty. Perhaps try a plea bargain thing where you go, guilty, but with circumstances...
Old 04-24-2007, 08:04 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i say show up in a dress and wig and tell them that they got the wrong person.......
Old 04-24-2007, 08:08 PM
wrljet
Racer

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Ever considered just going to court and telling all the facts,--you rolled through because of a temporary technical shortcoming in your car? As I recall the process, they will ask whether you plead guilty or not based upon "did you do what the officer says you did?" If the anser is , "yes, but..." they consider that guilty. Perhaps try a plea bargain thing where you go, guilty, but with circumstances...
Right, then they'll want to know why you're driving a car without brakes. ;-)
Old 04-24-2007, 09:15 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

"i say show up in a dress and wig and tell them that they got the wrong person......."

Best damn idea in the bunch....actually mistaken identity is a viable defense. By Jove, I think this would work......Great idea Smile.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:20 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can tell the judge that you were in a hurry due to some REALLY bad diahrrea. I heard that has worked before.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:24 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche_Smile
i say show up in a dress and wig and tell them that they got the wrong person.......
Old 04-24-2007, 09:40 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Driving through a stop sign without stopping ( oh, wait....I mean "rolling" through a stop sign), driving with a buzz after a party, talking on a cellphone, eating, reading, applying make-up while driving......I'm angry at people who put my life (and/or my car!) in danger. And maybe Chuck Jones and CosmosC4S are, too.

I'm not going to address how to handle these situations vis-a-vis the court system. Of course, the guilty driver wants the lightest punishment (I've been in traffic court....I'm familiar with it).

It's probably a better idea to remember that violations can hurt or kill other people. We can argue about which violations are more or less of a danger to others or ourselves, but there are many driving behaviors which are clearly reckless or careless that endanger other drivers. Is going through a stop sign without stopping one of those violations? You decide...many accidents occur when traffic signals (including stop signs) are ignored at intersections.

There was a similar thread here a couple of months ago that stimulated a lot of discussion. The topic was DUI. If you read it; I think you'll find it interesting. Here's the link:

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...+alcohol+level

I hope that what we take away from this thread is a good, healthy discussion that makes us think about, or re-think, our notions regarding the subject. In the spirit of that goodwill, be careful...and be safe. If you want to do things like speeding, do it responsibly. That's what I try to do.
Old 04-25-2007, 03:53 AM
Mfletch
Three Wheelin'

Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts

Chuck, Thanks....I'm sure you aren't surprised....I agree 100%.
flash80, when I was working at Lennox Station in South Central Los Angeles, I had lots of better things to do then bust people's ***** for no reason. There was never a lack of crime to fight. 99% of the time when I stop someone for a traffic violation, I give them a warning.
Pretty much the only violation that I will write a ticket for is failure to stop for a stop sign or light (even then I will almost always give them a warning rather then a ticket unless they argue with me and tell me that I'm full of sh#t or I'm just harassing them because of whatever ethnicity they are). I will never forget trying to comfort a young lady who was attending El Camino Junior College as she was breathing her last breath. The man that hit her and launched her body over the top of his vehicle like a rag doll missed stopping for the stop sign by about 10 feet. Over the last 22 years, there have been several others, mostly children.
When my wife got a speeding ticket a few months ago, she plead guilty. She had a problem going into court and pleading "not guilty" when she knew that she had been speeding. I was proud of her for being honest. She paid the fine and got traffic school...no points on her license.
Sorry to rant. I had to jump on Chuck's bandwagon after I saw the comment about cops busting people's ***** for no reason. For what it's worth, one of the ways that we catch those murderers is by stopping cars for vehicle code violations.
Old 04-25-2007, 05:47 AM
Paul Marangoni
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh brother....
Old 04-25-2007, 09:13 AM
hamilton
Instructor

Originally Posted by VGM911
Driving through a stop sign without stopping ( oh, wait....I mean "rolling" through a stop sign), driving with a buzz after a party, talking on a cellphone, eating, reading, applying make-up while driving......I'm angry at people who put my life (and/or my car!) in danger. And maybe Chuck Jones and CosmosC4S are, too.

Snip
Not to condone reckless driving but I don't think rolling through a stop sign is the same as "blowing" one. Do you really come to such a complete stop at every stop sign that you could apply the parking brake? I doubt it. I can't remember the last time I saw a car at a complete stop at a stop sign. There is always a little roll...
Old 04-25-2007, 09:28 AM
BruceP
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Sorry, but at least where I live, the moral view doesn't completely cover traffic tickets. I will man up and take my punishment for any crime or misdemeanor I might commit. I'm a firm believer in taking responsibility for myself. The problem with a traffic ticket is that it doesn't end there. My insurance company would use the incident as an excuse to soak me for the next five years. I wouldn't fight a ticket just to get away with it. But I would fight a ticket to prevent a corporation from relieving me of an additional several thousand dollars in arbitrary 'fines'.

In other words, the punishment doesn't end up fitting the crime. In law, there is a mechanism for making sure that doesn't happen. There is no such mechanism in the world of car insurance.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
BlackCab996
Pro

Originally Posted by BruceP
Sorry, but at least where I live, the moral view doesn't completely cover traffic tickets. I will man up and take my punishment for any crime or misdemeanor I might commit. I'm a firm believer in taking responsibility for myself. The problem with a traffic ticket is that it doesn't end there. My insurance company would use the incident as an excuse to soak me for the next five years. I wouldn't fight a ticket just to get away with it. But I would fight a ticket to prevent a corporation from relieving me of an additional several thousand dollars in arbitrary 'fines'.

In other words, the punishment doesn't end up fitting the crime. In law, there is a mechanism for making sure that doesn't happen. There is no such mechanism in the world of car insurance.
Well said - and I think that was the point of the original post - the guy was admitting guilt, called himself "stupid" and is willing to pay the ticket - avoiding the unfair reaction by insurance companies seems to be the goal.

I hope this thread dies a peaceful death. I think that some past threads have included some inappropriate remarks about police officers, but it's apparent that 99 percent of the members here are happy to come to their defense (as we should). I respect everyone's views in here, but I chuckle when anyone who went out and bought a Porsche flames a guy for a traffic infraction. I'm sure that these critics have never exceeded the speed limit, or never enjoyed the rush you get accelerating hard through second gear until you reach the legally posted speed on a road (which is probably more likely to cause an accident by hitting someone backing out of a driveway). I say, "have fun, drive safely, watch out for kids, bikes, pedestrians, other cars, etc...and let's go back to debating the plenum to see if we can all add 25 HP to our cars!"

Quick Reply: Rolled through a stop sign...