996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

High miles 996.

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man... if you really think about it, i have two toyota(s), a truck and a camary.... both well over 230K right now with almost NO problems..... now once porsche can hit that mark, i will buy nothing but porsche for life......
Old 04-24-2007, 04:02 PM
Porsche_Smile
Three Wheelin'

i mean in all defense, you'll never see ferrari or lambo at this mark........ but for the price for these toys,...... it's a hard swallow....
Old 04-24-2007, 04:10 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

I have 103,000 miles, and it's running very strong with zero issues. I drive it fast, too and don't baby it (without abusing it). I've driven across country a few times at high speeds and it gets driven every single day, multiple times a day. I don't burn ANY oil between fillups - none. The oil reads full on the dipstick and on the instument panel and never drops. I think it's gonna keep going strong for years to come.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:12 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slaaw
Is it still there?
I dont know if you are joking or not but no.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:37 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ElTorrente
I have 103,000 miles, and it's running very strong with zero issues. I drive it fast, too and don't baby it (without abusing it). I've driven across country a few times at high speeds and it gets driven every single day, multiple times a day. I don't burn ANY oil between fillups - none. The oil reads full on the dipstick and on the instument panel and never drops. I think it's gonna keep going strong for years to come.
Maybe these cars need just that - constant use, run the way they were intended to run - fast and often? Stuff HAS to wear out though, especially after 103k?
Old 04-24-2007, 04:44 PM
man_of_ice
Racer

I'm at 100k now, and no issues at all. Just changed brakediscs and pads, and it went through service with flying colors.

Still some way to go to catch the linked 996, but I plan to take it far. 20-25k/year commute.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:45 PM
pchak
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have over 80K on mine, and I believe the more you sit them without running them, the faster they where ;-)
Old 04-24-2007, 04:54 PM
ElTorrente
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AndyK
Maybe these cars need just that - constant use, run the way they were intended to run - fast and often? Stuff HAS to wear out though, especially after 103k?

I had a coolant leak recently that put my car out of commision for a couple days. Turned out it was a $2.00 part that the hose attached to on the engine, but other than that- nothing on the engine has given me major issues. Lets see- other than that, I had a small oil leak that was from the sparkplug housing (can't remember what the part was called), my turn signal lever quit returning to the nuetral position (have to do it manually now oh well), and my airbag light came on but was fixed with a new seat-belt latch. That's about it besides oil changes and tires and such.

You're right though - and it's true for most cars- you gotta DRIVE the cars and they'll keep running strong and clean. They LIKE to be driven. Garage queen cars are the ones that have the issues. Also, people who are scared to hit the redline and lug around in high gears are the ones who will have issues. Not revving the car and really driving it causes carbon deposits on the pistons/spark plugs, and the rings don't stay (or ever GET) seated. Also, engine braking will pull the crap that gets blown by the rings back into the combustion chamber and help keep it clean. Many people think they are doing their car a favor by babying it, but they aren't.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

bravo eltorrente, may you have 103K more!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:29 PM
viper501
Instructor

123k + miles so far. No major issues (knock on wood).
Old 04-24-2007, 09:51 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You know what guys....these sorts of responses are so much more heartening than the constant barrage of bad news about all the alleged failures. I was getting a bit downtrodden with the continual bad news....I started believing that the car I bought was on nothing but borrowed time. I would like to think this isn't the case...and the input from you folks with high mileage is uplifting.

When you think of it....Porsche has built...what???......over a hudred thousand of these cars? I don't honestly know....but they would never have been able to maintain a market share if there were truly that many failures. Sure, I would agree that Porsche adopted an engine replacement policy to keep the information quiet about the intermix failures, cracked linings, breeched coolant channels, and failed intermediate shafts. But I sit here trying to fathom just what percentage of actual failures there actually are.

I would be interested if someone has some sort of even half-assed accurate figure of the percentage of failures...let's say in the MY 99-00 3.4L engines. I don't think we could come up with an accurate figure because of the policy to simply replace the engines rather than allow them to be fixed or rebuilt by dealerships or indys on a reimbursement plan...because that would have allowed some tracking of failure rates....and would also have allowed the classifying of the frequency and types of failures, thereby providing information for class action suits. Does anyone know if there has ever been a class action suit filed against Porsche for the intermix issue?

But going back to my original point...it's been really gratifying to hear from you high mileage folks out there. Keep those cards and letters coming!!
Old 04-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by juankimalo
You can find lots of 996s with high mileage, but almost all of them have the engine been replaced.
That's a bold statement. Do you have any real data to back it up??
Old 04-24-2007, 10:46 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
But going back to my original point...it's been really gratifying to hear from you high mileage folks out there. Keep those cards and letters coming!!
Chuck, you really bought a gernade but Porsche pays us to run a thread like this one every once in a while. Works too
Old 04-24-2007, 10:49 PM
Chuck Jones
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Chuck, you really bought a gernade but Porsche pays us to run a thread like this one every once in a while."

Steven: Crap....I wondered what that pin and circular ring was attached under the dash. I pulled it out and heard a distinct click....Can you give me any sort of timeframe for detonation?
Old 04-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Jones
Steven: Crap....I wondered what that pin and circular ring was attached under the dash. I pulled it out and heard a distinct click....Can you give me any sort of timeframe for detonation?
Oh man...put it back..QUICK

Quick Reply: High miles 996.