996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

OT: Got a speeding ticket, your opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 01:19 PM
cary1
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to the odd man out here. I'm going to tell you to not fight the actual violation, but to attempt to get the judge to give you traffic school so you don't get the point on your record.

Assuming CHP gave you the ticket, your speed was most likely measured by him pacing you. You are not going to convince the judge that the CHP doesn't know how to pace. The same goes for the CHP using a radar gun. You can argue until you are blue in the face, but it won't change the judges mind and instead simply **** them off. Let's face the truth here, you were speeding, whether you were going 85 mph, or 93 mph. So at the end of the day you are guilty of speeding.

So we agree that you were speeding. Right?!!! Now it is an issue of damage control. The fine is a minor issue, but the potential increase in auto insurance is a real issue that could cost you a lot of money over three years. How do you avoid it? Traffic school. I don't know the rules for that jurisdiction, but you can call the court clerk and ask if you are automatically eligible for traffic school. If you are, great, pay the fine, go to school and be done with it.

If you aren't, you need to show up for the arraignment hearing and ask the judge if you enter a plea of guilty or no contest (sissy form of guilty)), if he/she will allow you to attend traffic school. They should be able to tell you prior to accepting your plea. If they say no, then you can plea not guilty and try to fight it (you will lose), or simply take your medicine and move on.

BTW, I don't play a lawyer on TV, but I do work as one in real life, in CA, and I have fought traffic appeals for clients (we don't use lawyers in CA for most traffic court tickets). I also work in a office where one of the partners regularly sits as a traffic court judge.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:39 PM
99 C4
Advanced

What I would suggest is getting a Good Radar Detector! My V1 always goes on when I feel like doing some spirited driving.
#2 If you go to court you have 50% chance of the cop not showing up. ( atleast in NY) I went to court when I got paced @ 98 in 55 zone, the guy did not show up. (you can also postpone your apperance increasing the chance he might not show up.
I got a ticket pre V1 purchase, and because it was at night I told the judge it was mistaken identity, black car at night. (does not always work but fighting the ticket is worth a try)
Old 04-24-2007, 02:03 PM
PJunkie
Intermediate

disco- you'll probably get a variety of opinions but I have had good luck with beltronics radar detectors. saved my *** lots of times.

sorry to hear about the ticket. the cops are out there to generate revenue and don't care that your 911 is afer to drive as it can out stop and out manuever most cars going half the speed.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:49 PM
discoganya
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Update: Paid about $250 in fine and pleaded guilty. The fine was surprising low given that I was caught doing 93 in a 70 mph zone. Also signed up for driving school, so I get no points on my insurance. The court was about 200 miles from home, so I didn't want the hassle of going down there. Plus, being an immigrant in this country, I don't feel the need to wage legal battles over $250.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:13 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Good for you, discoganya. That's the best way to go, plead guilty (which your really are) and pay the fine. No hassles, end of story and life goes on.
Old 05-12-2007, 09:55 PM
ArneeA
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by discoganya
Update: Paid about $250 in fine and pleaded guilty. The fine was surprising low given that I was caught doing 93 in a 70 mph zone. Also signed up for driving school, so I get no points on my insurance. The court was about 200 miles from home, so I didn't want the hassle of going down there. Plus, being an immigrant in this country, I don't feel the need to wage legal battles over $250.

You ain't got nothin on OJ! j/k
Old 07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
stuka
Pro

Originally Posted by discoganya
No radar detector (never used one) ... but I'm seriously thinking of getting one now.
You should.

We reguarly set cruies at 99 (meters per day, in case any cop is reading), and with a V1 and good practice, can easily cover 400 miles in 5 hours including a pit stop plus food.

They usually leave the radar on full blast on the 5 and other desolated areas, It;s like shooting fish in a barrel.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:57 PM
care4era
Racer

I paid corrupt police 10 euro twice in Bulgaria the other day. East is best in a way for that ****. All a game and you do not take speeding tickets seriously.

I would hate to live in your big brother society.
Old 07-24-2007, 07:48 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jimhsu
fighting it will often get you a lesser fine and sometimes even complete dismissal.
It's like the lottery: If you fight, you have a chance for something to go your way. If you don't, you have no chance. Every situation is unique, but IMO, those giving you general advice to simply "take your medicine" are way off target. Your situation (200 miles away) definitely weighed in favor of pay the ticket.

And although it probably happened at some time in the past, I've NEVER heard of someone challenging a ticket and getting it WORSE than the original citiation...

-td

Quick Reply: OT: Got a speeding ticket, your opinions please