Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Life expectancy of stock shocks/springs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2007 | 11:33 AM
Glenn
Racer

Default Life expectancy of stock shocks/springs?

Hi - I have a 99 996 C2 (owned for 8 months) and am unimpressed with the suspension as it sits. It has 85,000km (50,000 miles or so) and the suspension is stock - I believe.

Its feels very jittery and harsh going around sweeping curves when I hit any kind of bump. Actually feel significant bump steer at times. Is it time to change up the shocks and springs? I had it aligned and the suspension checked by a good indy a month ago and everything checks out.
Thanks for you opinions.
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:36 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Springs should pretty much last forever... it sounds like maybe the shocks aren't working to their full potential (not enough dampening).
Old 04-20-2007 | 11:47 AM
nick49
Drifting

I have a '99 with 50K miles and on rough roads, expansion joints etc. the tires transmit some road shock and abruptness felt in the chassis. I think a lot of it is the +50% worn P-Zero tires as it felt good or a lot better when they were new. Also it seem quieter with the previous Dunlop 9000 series and I think I liked the handling with them better as well.

I've never had a hint of bump steer but tramlining happens often especially on interstates with heavily grooved or pavement damaged from heavy trucks. I'm running 18" wheels and all of this is worse than in my Wife's Boxster with 17"s.

I think my suspension is fine as when driven aggressively I have very little body roll and the steering is taught and responsive, and the chassis behaves for being USA height with front up attitude. I plan on improving this with a suspension upgrade and lowering and better tires fairly soon.
Old 04-20-2007 | 01:12 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

In my opinion the stock Carrera suspension sucks. It has a lot of float, body roll and a harsh ride. I had my car 4 months and pulled out the suspension and replaced it with the x74 suspension from Porsche. I could not be happier, this is what the car SHOULD have handled like when new. There are a lot of suspensions upgrades out there to choose from so start doing you home work. Here is the thread I started about my suspension upgrade. Let me know if you have any other questions.
https://rennlist.com/forums/996-forum/344315-x74-installed.html
Andy

PS: as mentioned above, springs should last forever. If you want to make an improvement for the least amount of money, simply replace your shocks with a set of Bilstein HD's
Old 04-20-2007 | 03:08 PM
Glenn
Racer

I've been looking at the pss9's or going with the Bilstein shocks too. Probably going to pull the trigger in the next couple months. What should I expect to pay for an install of the coilovers?
Old 04-20-2007 | 03:57 PM
UCrazyKid
Pro

~$1000 with install alignment and corner balance. PSS9's do not include swaybars. M030 or x74 are shocks, springs, swaybars, bushings for one price. ~$1,100 for M030 and ~$2000 for x74. PSS9 ~$2100.

Quick Reply: Life expectancy of stock shocks/springs?