Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Went for a drive last night-car tramlines a lot - normal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 08:50 PM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Andy,

For what it's worth, the Potenza RE50s are not N-specification tires for the 996. They do, however, get good ratings on the Tire Rack website.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:04 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VGM911
Andy,

For what it's worth, the Potenza RE50s are not N-specification tires for the 996. They do, however, get good ratings on the Tire Rack website.
N, shmen! ZR rated Bridgestones are fine for my spirited highway drives, and trips up and down Main street. The N rated Conti's SUCK, so there.

If I was doing DE's I would respect the "N". Not in my case though.
Old 04-22-2007, 12:13 AM
VGM911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't have N-spec tires on my car, either. I have Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position tires, but they've been discontinued.

I'm in the market for tires, and I'm thinking about getting the Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A tires. They happen to be N-spec, but the RE50s are a worthy competitor. Decisions, decisions!
Old 04-22-2007, 09:38 AM
nycebo
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Bad tires that are balding badly on the inside of the tire could certainly have created a bit of the problem. New tires always makes the handling of my cars feel better, and given Porsche's sensitivity, it's to be expected that an out of whack alignment (esp. toe out as it sounded in your case) and rubbed tires can have an adverse impact on steering. I'll be anxious to hear what you think when you got the new rubber installed.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 AM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by VGM911
I don't have N-spec tires on my car, either. I have Bridgestone S-03 Pole Position tires, but they've been discontinued.

I'm in the market for tires, and I'm thinking about getting the Bridgestone Potenza S-02 A tires. They happen to be N-spec, but the RE50s are a worthy competitor. Decisions, decisions!
Check the Tirerack survey. The S03's are not rated very well, and the RE50 Pole Positions are top rated in almost every catagory. I'll be getting them!

Hopefully that will solve my handling issues. I should be getting the tires installed on Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:59 AM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyK
I got the alignment. The toe was off, especially in the rear (.76 difference from spec). STS aligned the car. Took it out on the highway, and it STILL doesn't feel in control. Still have to jiggle the wheel back and fourth to keep the car from veering.

To add insult to injury, the alignment machine mauled my near-mint rims. I'm convinced as soon as you have work done to your car, it wont stay in mint condition.

Plan B is to bring it in to my indy mechanic, to see if he can spot a broken or loose part in the suspension.

And, my radio is worse, with the interfearance coming on right away. No cell phone near the car, engine off. Must be a ground issue, right? How do you get this head unit out of the dash? Another thread, I guess!?
andy, sorry to hear about your issues-- but i suppose this is a good way of getting to know your car! as a side note for those who may be shopping for cars (esp people like me-- i'm not mechanically proficient and quite lazy), i think these issues and inability to go back to the dealer is a good reason why buying CPO makes sense-- they have a comprehensive cpo checklist and will spend time/money to get the car right prior to putting up for sale. for instance, in addition to fixing other items, my dealer installed new pirelli p zeros. and for the first couple weeks, i was always taking my car back for 'little' things-- no questions asked. anyway, just my .02 which can hopefully shed light for others shopping for p-cars. sounds like you got a great car otherwise. good luck.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:05 PM
cdodkin
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's an update. I went back to STS, to get the front wheels balanced (thinking maybe they were out of balance, causing my problems). When they took the wheel off, the inside half of both tires is almost bald !Very worn, I need new tires.

Would that be causing my problems?
Andy - have to ask - how the hell could STS have done the alignment and not noticed the inside wear on the tires?

And they damaged your rims!

I'd be getting some compensation, then going somewhere where they take more care and know what the hell they're doing.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:07 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Beauty is, my GE warranty covers ALL electronics, including the stereo. So, if worse comes to worse, and there is a broken tie rod end, I can bring it to Porsche, have them fix that, the RMS, and the radio, for a $200 deductible!
Old 04-22-2007, 02:08 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cdodkin
Andy - have to ask - how the hell could STS have done the alignment and not noticed the inside wear on the tires?

And they damaged your rims!

I'd be getting some compensation, then going somewhere where they take more care and know what the hell they're doing.
The alignment has nothing to do with worn tires, and it was off, so I had to have it done anyway for the new tires. When I told the owner about the rim scrapes, he said there is no other way to clamp the alignment cameras on the rims. What can I do at that point?
Old 04-22-2007, 02:34 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

The alignment has nothing to do with worn tires, and it was off, so I had to have it done anyway for the new tires. When I told the owner about the rim scrapes, he said there is no other way to clamp the alignment cameras on the rims. What can I do at that point?
complain until you get compensated. that is unacceptable for anyone purporting to run a legit business. if there truly is no other way, then they should have advised you first before using their system. obviously, not all alignment systems will damage your p wheels. if the franchise owner does nothing, perhaps you can call corporate, or threaten to, and see what he thinks. good luck.
Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM
apierce918
Addic
Rennlist Member

then he should have warned you that it may cause possible damage.. you dont just do something a particular way regardless if it will damage something. and obviously he knows it was his fault.
Old 04-22-2007, 03:21 PM
fw2001c4
Advanced

Beauty is, my GE warranty covers ALL electronics, including the stereo. So, if worse comes to worse, and there is a broken tie rod end, I can bring it to Porsche, have them fix that, the RMS, and the radio, for a $200 deductible.
sorry to hear about all that youre going through... just a word of caution. deductibles typically are for per occurence. so the three things you mentioned would be three occurences or 200x3. doesnt matter that you take it in at the same time. i know this was the case with my bmw cpo and geico mechanical breakdown coverage. might wanna check that so you arent unpleasantly surprised later.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:21 PM
Nine9Sixer
Pro

Originally Posted by fw2001c4
sorry to hear about all that youre going through... just a word of caution. deductibles typically are for per occurence. so the three things you mentioned would be three occurences or 200x3. doesnt matter that you take it in at the same time. i know this was the case with my bmw cpo and geico mechanical breakdown coverage. might wanna check that so you arent unpleasantly surprised later.
just to add to that, part of the benefit of cpo is having a relationship with the dealer and the goodwill that comes with it. if i have a neurotic issue with my car, i just bring it in and they take care of it. real simple. no questions.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:24 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

I noticed the car following grooves in the road on the way back from picking it up on Long Island. When I got home, I found the tire pressures were all over the place, so I filled them up, and headed out last night. Car still tends to fight me, like it wants to go it's own way when it hits bumps or channels in the road.

The rear tires are new, the fronts are a little worn. 18"ers

Is this just sensitive steering that I am not used to, or do I have a problem?
I didn't read the trail, so this might be a double post: sounds like you might have a toe-out alignment. Get your tires aligned with a slight toe in, and you should be right as rain. Oh and upgrade your suspension. And get a supercharger. But that's everything you'll need.

-td
Old 04-22-2007, 06:39 PM
AndyK
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by td873
I didn't read the trail, so this might be a double post: sounds like you might have a toe-out alignment. Get your tires aligned with a slight toe in, and you should be right as rain. Oh and upgrade your suspension. And get a supercharger. But that's everything you'll need.

-td
Yup, just got an alignment yesterday - rear to was out. Front tires are shot, so I need tires. Hope after tires and an alignment, I'll be fine. If not, there's my extended warranty.

As for a CPO, I would have if I could have. But there are no Porsche dealers near enough to me to build a relationship with, and the one that is kinda near has not had the best write ups here.

Quick Reply: Went for a drive last night-car tramlines a lot - normal?