996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Daily Driver recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:59 PM
rmillnj
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive a 1999 C2 130 miles a day on my long commute. I have put 42,000 miles on it in a little less than 2 years. Besides the normal service the only expense was a brake job done when the expansion tank went which was covered under the CPO warranty. I run the stock 17's with a second set of Blizzaks for the winter, so tire wear is not too bad.

All in all it makes a great commuter car except for one thing. My car has a FAB speed exhaust and it is hard to use the bluetooth cell phone while driving. But I would rather have the sweet exhaust sound then hear someone on the phone anyway.

One thing for sure, it makes the long commute a lot more fun every single day.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:04 PM
missmy993
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go BMW it that was the choice. There I times and situations that I am embarrased to be driving a porsche and not comfortable with the image it projects. The BMW has less of that factor and the M3 is more like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

If I had a back up car when needed, no question-911
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 PM
nick49
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

If you like to grin a lot get the P car.

I notice a lot of scornful looks from other drivers in BMWs, Audis, MBs and smiles from drivers in other cars. Whats up with that???
Old 04-16-2007, 10:41 PM
Macho Belly
Instructor

If you drive both you will want a 996. No comparison drive-wise. Only advantage to M3 is slightly bigger back seat but sounds like you don't need it. I take my 2 kids to school often in 996 cab.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:08 AM
PJunkie
Intermediate

By the bare fact that you asked this question on a 996 thread, it is clear that you really do want the Porsche.

Just go for it. Find a nice one and don't look back. You will not be sorry. There is nothing like it.

If you get the M3, you will drool over every 911 you see.
Old 04-17-2007, 03:09 AM
RoninM5
Advanced

M3's are very smooth and easy to drive fast.

M3 may hold it's residual value better than a 996.

The M3 is a fine car in its own right.

However, I do think as far as convertibles go, the 996 convertible is a much better looking convertible. I think the convertible aspects are much better executed in the Porsche and the inherent penalties are less than in the BMW.

Of course, I've never directly owned a convertible. I prefer coupes for my sportscars.

I do believe Porsche is on another level, and I do own a Porsche, but BMW's make no excuses and are fine cars as well.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:15 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I traded an '02 M3 cab for my '02 996 cab. I like the 996 MUCH better. You really need to keep the revs up much higher in the M3 to get the same enjoyment out of it IMO.

The back seats in both cars are useless for anything but children.

I have 3 kids. One is in a full carseat (she's 2 yrs old) and it fits fine in the front seat with the airbag deactivation kit installed. The other 2 fit fine in the back using Britax Starriser Boosters (they are 6 and 8 yrs old).

I just tracked my 996 for the first time a few weeks ago and was SHOCKED at what this car can do in stock form. Simply amazing car.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:36 AM
ThrottleJock
4th Gear

Yeah I really want the 996. I'm a motorcycle guy (roadracer/motocrosser) and that's what the throttlejock moniker comes from, but I have had some silly (albeit low-buck) automobiles as well. E-prepared Honda with no interior/AC/full cage, harnesses, etc hillclimb and autocross machine that was driven as a daily driver. It was great fun showing up everywhere smelling like sweat and gas. 800hp/1050lbs.ft torque F350 'tow vehicle' (that would spin all 6 wheels on its way to a mid 12-second quarter mile). That was years ago, I'm older now, the Ducati's are gone and I would love to have a grown-up car that still hustles and would be fun at a track day. Tough to beat a 911 for that sort of prescription.

P.S. I'm not concerned about the looks you get from BMW guys, I'm used to all that crap from running around on Ducati superbikes. Same phenomenon occurs w/ them. Weird. Besides that, I live in Miami. Old farts drive Ferrari's here, soccer moms drive M6's, and kids get 911's as graduation presents. I'll just blend right in.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:51 AM
jasonfreed
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Honestly, you won't get funny looks from anyone. I buy all my cars for me and me only.

I could care less what anyone thinks. It your car, your $$$ and your business what you drive.

Buy a 996 - you'll love it!
Old 04-17-2007, 01:09 PM
silverstutt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before buying the 996 I wish that P-owners would of warned me about the over use and wear-and-tear of the sternoclaidomastoid.... this is something that nobody on this thread will confess and tell you about the 996.
Old 04-17-2007, 02:23 PM
snaproll
Instructor

Originally Posted by missmy993
I would go BMW it that was the choice. There I times and situations that I am embarrased to be driving a porsche and not comfortable with the image it projects. The BMW has less of that factor and the M3 is more like a wolf in sheeps clothing.

If I had a back up car when needed, no question-911
I'm NEVER embarrased to drive the Porsche. With a capital P, unless you want to write bmw.................
Old 04-17-2007, 02:40 PM
R13
Advanced

Get the 911! I just went through the same process and am very glad I went the way of the P. M3's are nice, but the 911 is the true sports car icon....and rather practical too!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:09 PM
himself
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by silverstutt
Before buying the 996 I wish that P-owners would of warned me about the over use and wear-and-tear of the sternoclaidomastoid.... this is something that nobody on this thread will confess and tell you about the 996.
Why are you turning your head so much while driving so as to result in either "over use" or "wear-and-tear"? I don't do that, and wouldn't confess to, nor warn others about doing so.

-td
Old 04-17-2007, 03:30 PM
wrljet
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by snaproll
I'm NEVER embarrased to drive the Porsche. With a capital P, unless you want to write bmw.................
I just refer to 'em as BM. It quicker, unless you pronounce it
auf Deutsch in which case the W is a single syllable.

Bill
Old 04-17-2007, 03:55 PM
ThrottleJock
4th Gear

My friends were here from Tokyo a couple weeks ago and they all pronounce it "Bee Emmm Double"

forget the "U". Funny little guys, they are.

Quick Reply: Daily Driver recommendation