996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Painted my calipers today

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 01:08 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Folks, I'm going to be doing this too. Black car, so I'm painting them yellow!

1) Where can I find the G2 paint kit in store? Autozone and Kragen didn't have them in. I'd really not wait for FedEx/USPS if I can buy in-store vs online.

2) Also, some folks seemed to have used a metal bristle brush to roughen up the caliper surface for better paint adhesion. What brush would you recommend? I'm a little worried about damaging the calipers with a hard metal brush. What about rough sandpaper?

3) Did you put a layer of clear coat on top of the decals when you used the G2 paint kit? I know the guys using Duplicolor did ... just making sure if I can be lazy with the G2
Old 07-11-2007, 01:41 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

I've painted both my calipers and my dad's calipers with the hi-temp engine spray paint you can get at the chain autoparts stores, and they are both holding up great. One tip that I found really helpful, and employed with great success on my dad's car, was to use 400 grit sandpaper to prep the surface instead of a wire brush...this greatly reduced the number of coats needed to get a good finish and adequately removed all surface imperfections. Good luck.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:53 PM
Sids911
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, that's a good tip.

Do you guys know where I can buy the G2 caliper paint kit in-store?

UPDATE: They don't have any distributor in San Diego, CA - so no in-store. I was about to buy Duplicolor but couldn't find that in yellow in-store either! They had red, black and blue (blue?), but no yellow.

So I've ordered the G2 paint online - it'll take 10 days to come since it can only be shipped ground (hazardous material!). I'll be done with the brake pad and rotors today so I guess next month I'll have to jack up the car, take off the wheel again. Sheesh! I was hoping to get everything done in one go.

Last edited by Sids911; 07-11-2007 at 04:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Painted my calipers today