996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

oh Sh!t

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 11:07 PM
GULF V1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do what your gut tells you! Just give yourself a day to accept what happened, clear your mind and go from there asking for opinions here always helps if there is good imput. However when you procede do it right the first time I hate revisiting realestate. Funny when I screw something up and I start taking the repair journey I start feeling better.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:11 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Steven C.
Who in the world wants to ride around in an expensive car hoping that JB weld or any other pookie will stay on so I don't 1. burn the motor up or 2. get stuck in the middle of no where? Sorry guys but I have mixed a lot of JBW for interior parts and have glued motorcycle cases back together with loctite but I have never attempted to hold fluids at pressure in a casting with pookie for a permanent fix. This reasoning sounds insane to me....am I missing something here

When you go to sell it what will the PPI say? Strange mound of goo on oil or water casting...I picked at it and it gushed. If the PO fixed the car like this I would pass!
Steven - good points, I was thinking the same things.

BTW - did you really type "pookie?" When I read that, I laughed out loud! Glad I wasn't drinking a beverage at that time, otherwise I would have spit the liquid all over the monitor screen. WTF is "pookie?"
Old 04-15-2007, 11:19 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
WTF is "pookie?"
I am in the real estate development business. Pookie is a common construction material used in all types of construction...for you less educated type
Old 04-15-2007, 11:20 PM
Wellardmac
Nordschleife Master

Received 135 Likes on 71 Posts

Pookie is actually the name of one of my cats.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:21 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Wellardmac
Pookie is actually the name of one of my cats.
That too Where is Dell when we need him
Old 04-15-2007, 11:57 PM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Pookie (Puki) means vagina in Malaysian or Indonesian language...

Err...I know coz' I'm multi-lingual with that particular word.
Old 04-16-2007, 12:19 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosC4S
Pookie (Puki) means vagina in Malaysian or Indonesian language...

Err...I know coz' I'm multi-lingual with that particular word.
I guess that would make you a "cunning linguist!"
Old 04-16-2007, 12:46 AM
CosmosC4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gota911
I guess that would make you a "cunning linguist!"
Old 04-16-2007, 02:03 AM
GoodSpeed Sweden
Instructor

I fully agree with Steven. Get this fixed properly so that you don't have to check for leaks every time you park the car.
Old 04-16-2007, 06:55 AM
hoges11
Intermediate

Guys,

thanks for all the input. I'm now comforted thats its not the core part of the block and that I can take out just the oil pump. As I'm due to sell the car I think I need to go down the new part route but will take some more advice from my mechanic. One day on I'm a little calmer about this but yesterday was horrible. Also managed to learn some potentailly useful language for a trip to Asia !
Old 04-16-2007, 08:13 PM
Kims996Cab
Racer

Originally Posted by hoges11
Yes I get that now. Was following your suggestion Orient Express, only problem is I'm obviously crap at following instructions. When I saw the pic I took afterwards that L shape piece was so obvious, just wasnt while I was setting it up. I looked at the car and read the instructions on the list and looked and read and still got it wrong. Hopefuly the pic with that lovely red arrow makes it clear for anyone else who is going to try this.
It appears (though appearances can be deceiving) from the small indentation that you perhaps .... beside mislocating the jack .... used a bare jack saddle without any sort of pad. It looks like maybe a raised point on the saddle did this damage.

I have replaced my dish-shaped jack saddle with a half inch thick, dense rubber pad, and I always feel much better putting the weight of the car on that flat rubber as opposed to the thin metal rims of the original jack saddle.
Old 04-16-2007, 10:05 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

looks like, take out the cats and muffler, support the engine, get the engine mounts off, take of the engine carrier, get the belt off and go to town to get to the piece... probably 2 days work with the proper equipment... The only way to fix this, is to do it right, replace the piece, accept what has happened and take it easy on yourself...in the end, you will sleep better!!!
Old 04-17-2007, 06:08 AM
hoges11
Intermediate

Kim Yes like a fool I used the bare cup on the jack and thats what did the damage, stupid I know and I cant understand why I did that but hindsight is easy. Redridge I agree that I should get the job done properly looks like its £500ish for parts plus up to two days labour so maybe £1,500, expensive afternoon I had on Sunday!
Old 04-17-2007, 03:48 PM
redridge
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by hoges11
Kim Yes like a fool I used the bare cup on the jack and thats what did the damage, stupid I know and I cant understand why I did that but hindsight is easy. Redridge I agree that I should get the job done properly looks like its £500ish for parts plus up to two days labour so maybe £1,500, expensive afternoon I had on Sunday!
good decision! now she's good as new again...easy, now go and have fun w/her when she's back.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 PM
marlinspike
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Kims996Cab
It appears (though appearances can be deceiving) from the small indentation that you perhaps .... beside mislocating the jack .... used a bare jack saddle without any sort of pad. It looks like maybe a raised point on the saddle did this damage.

I have replaced my dish-shaped jack saddle with a half inch thick, dense rubber pad, and I always feel much better putting the weight of the car on that flat rubber as opposed to the thin metal rims of the original jack saddle.
And if you can't find rubber pads (I couldn't), another good thing to use is a hockey puck (that's what I use).

Last edited by marlinspike; 04-17-2007 at 11:08 PM.

Quick Reply: oh Sh!t