Should I buy a NSX or a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 03:52 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

25k, your best bid is a beat up sti or evo

nsx is a good car and properly SC'd like kip's car can be extremely fast, but i dont think they are faster than GT3 (given equal drivers of course). and a properly dialed in nsx loaded with JDM and/or comptech parts is well over 100k easily.
Old 04-15-2007, 11:09 AM
rleeq
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was in the 8th grade my hair was long, thick and wavy and my PE teacher who didn’t know my name yet call out in my direction “ You, You with the haystack”… and it stuck with me all through high school.
He should be fired (or shot) for public humiliation. What is statue of limitation on civil rights violations?
Old 04-15-2007, 11:42 AM
MagnusB
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I sort of didn't read very carefully did I

mooty, I beg to differ about the GT3/NSX(kip's car) comparison.
It has more hp, less weight, lower center of gravity and "better" weight distribution than a GT3.
It makes the vipers look slow on the straights
It's not valid for all NSXs in general and I bet you can again modify a GT3 to beat it but a standard GT3 would not beat Kip's car.

Look at these times from Laguna Seca:
http://www.speedventures.com/event_r...esults=OA&s=lt

and compare it to the Radicals in this one:
http://www.speedventures.com/event_r...esults=OA&s=lt

Old 05-11-2007, 08:31 PM
SoloRacer
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

But if you go to www.nsxfiles.com and read his stories and watch his videos you will see his NSX - supercharged or not - getting lapped time and time again by Porsches. In one video he actually comments on the Porsches and how much faster they are. He also says this when comparing his supercharged NSX to his Ferrari F355:

Note: if you want to go REALLY fast at the track, and you want the chance to win at any race.......then buy a used Porsche 911/993 and strip it down and put go-fast parts on it. It will probably cost less than an F355 or a Supercharged NSX, you got a zillion different aftermarket parts and vendors to choose from, and you can hop up the Porsches up to 600+ hp. And then it is game over for the Supercharged NSX or F355, but your Porsche will still remind me of a fat, bloated, overweight Kermit the Frog. I know it sounds sacrilege to say that a Porsche 911 is the fastest way to go on a site called The NSX-Files, but let's face it, there are some Porsche drivers that can run 1:20 laps at Willow Springs. Ain't no way possible you can build an NSX that will do 1:20 laptimes for an extended period of time without blowing up. (Yeah, you might be able to do a 1:20 laptime in a souped up Viper GTS, but do you really want to drive a race car that was built in Detroit?). If want to build a car to run at the 24 Hours of Daytona, it seems that if you do the research, Porsche seems to be the way to go, you will be fast and competitive and fairly reliable.....but you will look ugly...
Old 05-11-2007, 09:12 PM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

who cares about outright laptimes. it's as if some of you guys make a living out of laptimes when the reality is FAR from it.

each car has its pluses and minuses.

the nsx is a legend in its own right and the newer ones nicely modified with wheels, suspension, and aerokit will break necks. it's reliable, handles superbly and looks very exotic and is super rare. ya can't beat that combination.

drive both and get a feeler and you'll make the right decision.

best of luck,
ben

p.s. go buy a new vw cabrio - it's hot
Old 05-11-2007, 09:22 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Ben and Solo,

Welcome to last month.

Not only are you a month late, you are opining on a joke thread!!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:23 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Dallas strikes again!!
Old 05-12-2007, 12:24 AM
agent325
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2 cents...

M3- I had one for anout a year. Great dialy driver, awsome handling, good trunk space, and I loved the SMG, especially if you are going to drive as a daily driver. Against the 996 amd NSX, the M3 has a slight edge on the quarter mile. You can find one for about 25K, but it will be a 01 with high miles.

NSX- I have always thought of getting one, but i would not like the attention of driving it on a daily basis. The early ones has about 270 HP, which is out dated compared to todays cars. Defintaly a ledgend in its time, but out dated. Plus I cant stand the Honda interior. You will have to spend north of $30K for a decent example.

996- Great Car and superb performace. Smaller than the M3 but bigger than the NSX. This is the car im looking to get into as I just got out of the M3. A porsche is a porsche, No Sub. Just like the NSX, you will need to spend north of 30K to get a low milage example.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:18 AM
Benjamin Choi
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray S
Ben and Solo,

Welcome to last month.

Not only are you a month late, you are opining on a joke thread!!
The laugh's on you, bud. Check the Post Script
Old 05-12-2007, 01:36 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by M3killa
I can't make up my mind because the NSX is way COOL and is super fast and nothing can touch it class wise. I'm searching for a nsx for less than $25k and can't find a clean one. The 1992 technology is way better than any 993 and as good as a 996 if not better. My other choice is a M3 because my brother has has one and he is smarter than I am. Please help me decide if I should buy porsche or the more superior nsx. Cheers.
If you have to ask, get the Honda.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Ray S
Ironman 140.6
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Benjamin Choi
The laugh's on you, bud. Check the Post Script
Ben, it's a month old. He was joking...... Kinda, like April fools....except it's not even April anymore.....

Like I said, welcome to last month.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:31 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,629 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by MagnusB
Yeah I sort of didn't read very carefully did I

mooty, I beg to differ about the GT3/NSX(kip's car) comparison.
It has more hp, less weight, lower center of gravity and "better" weight distribution than a GT3.
It makes the vipers look slow on the straights
It's not valid for all NSXs in general and I bet you can again modify a GT3 to beat it but a standard GT3 would not beat Kip's car.

we are actually in agreement. my post was poorly written though.
i meant to say a stock GT3 is faster than stock NSC.
but kips car is not your usual NSX, it will eat just about any GT3 out there unless you pour some very SERIOUS money on the GT3.

Quick Reply: Should I buy a NSX or a Porsche